Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #1041
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Already fired ... But A milestone hit and its not exactly a good one.

Wednesday was the first time that I've seen a daily yes ...daily ....loss of 6 figures in the portfolio...

Perspective - That's something like twice the annual household income in the USA. Twice the annual ... Gone in a day.

Mumble mumble ...

I had a triple bourbon before dinner to celebrate that one
. F$&@.

And to put some whipped cream and a cherry on top it's been a cool half a million gone since the market highs of may 2015. Blame Oil and international. And now everything .... Poof. Or more like kaboom.

Had a double bourbon after dinner too.

Perspective: First world problem, And I have my health. Life is still good.
A couple more weeks like this one, and you'll have to transition from Pappy Van Winkle to Evan Williams.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #1042
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
You have any more bourbon double shots and you'll lose your health...and apparently a lot of money!

Usually a teetotaler... Ya. It's not often that I succumb to a nice bourbon on d rocks.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #1043
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Papadad - I feel for you. This is one of the reasons I have 40% in bonds/cash... it dampens the drops (as well as the gains.)

No need to blame anything or anyone... we know the market has cycles, corrections, gyrations... but it does sting to see big drops.

Yep. True.

I learned something in 2008. Was too conservatively positioned - was great as the maket came down but didn't get the gains on the rebound either and that actually hurt more than the fall. The conservative asset allocation hurt me significantly... So as I'm younger I'm trying to stay a bit more aggressive. Maybe I'm stupid !! But I keep thinking fool me once ...shame on market. fool me twice, shame on me

Decisions decisions ....
Old 01-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #1044

Been buying some bank and insurance company shares on the Toronto exchange since the crash last week, since values are good and yields are juicy.

As of this morning, our yearly interest and dividends received now surpass my personal income from w*rking. We're about 2/3rds of the way to full retirement spending coverage and not ever having to dip into the capital in retirement. Theoretically, anyway.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #1045
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Already fired ... But A milestone hit and its not exactly a good one.

Wednesday was the first time that I've seen a daily yes ...daily ....loss of 6 figures in the portfolio...

Perspective - That's something like twice the annual household income in the USA. Twice the annual ... Gone in a day.

Mumble mumble ...

I had a triple bourbon before dinner to celebrate that one. F$&@.

And to put some whipped cream and a cherry on top it's been a cool half a million gone since the market highs of may 2015. Blame Oil and international. And now everything .... Poof. Or more like kaboom.

Had a double bourbon after dinner too.

Perspective: First world problem, And I have my health. Life is still good.
Heck, you have enough money that a poor day caused you to lose 6 figs. That's worth celebrating...with a bourbon! So I guess a bourbon works no matter how you look at it.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #1046

Milestone: First pull from my 401k today.

The withholding was horrific! 20% federal and 4% state, both mandatory. It's quite infuriating to have 20% withholding when I GET money from the treasury when I file.

Next time: I'm going to wait until December so the "interest-free loan" to uncle sam will only be a few months long.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #1047
Dryer sheet wannabe

Early Retirement Planning: Taking Early Withdrawals Without Penalty From Your 401(k) or IRA — My Money Blog
Share your FIRE Milestones
Old 02-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #1048

Share your FIRE Milestones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Milestone: First pull from my 401k today.

The withholding was horrific! 20% federal and 4% state, both mandatory. It's quite infuriating to have 20% withholding when I GET money from the treasury when I file.

Next time: I'm going to wait until December so the "interest-free loan" to uncle sam will only be a few months long.

Can you roll a portion into an IRA and withdraw your pull then from the IRA?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #1049

The penalty isn't a problem. Of course that will be determined after the IRS has a chance to digest my 2016 tax return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Can you roll a portion into an IRA and withdraw your pull then from the IRA?
I think that would nudge me back to the 59 1/2 category.

My next milestone will be when I get my interest-free loan back from uncle sam. The good news, I'd only be earning 0.10% annual on the funds anyway
Old 02-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #1050

One of my most significant FIRE milestones since retiring a year and a few months ago:

I have gone from 0.35 to 0.37 posts per day.

NOTE: The above numbers have now been edited by me, redduck, as rodi, The Ever-Vigilant apparently was suspicious (and rightfully so), of the original numbers claimed by me, which were 3.5 and 3.7.
(nice catch, rodi)

Kinda' does take away the thrill of the milestone, though....
Old 02-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #1051

Um... No. 0.35 to 0.37 per day. You'll have to post a LOT to make up for the many years of lurkerdom.

LOL.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #1052

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Um... No. 0.35 to 0.37 per day. You'll have to post a LOT to make up for the many years of lurkerdom.

LOL.
I'm pretty sure that not many people no one wants me to make up for the many years of lurkerdom (and that includes me).
Old 02-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #1053

I've been checking my pension account more frequently, waiting for this day!

Quote:
You are 1 years and 0 months away from Vesting.
Yes!
Old 02-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #1054
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I've been checking my pension account more frequently, waiting for this day!

Yes!
Terrific! A pension is so nice to have in retirement, even a tiny one like mine.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #1055
Full time employment: Posting here.

My mortgage balance is now in the five digit region. It's a small, arbitrary milestone, but it's mine.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #1056
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
My mortgage balance is now in the five digit region. It's a small, arbitrary milestone, but it's mine.

DW & I hit the same milestone earlier this month - it definitely caught my eye when I looked at the balance. Congrats to y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #1057

Quote:
Doesn't matter if it's small. Congrats!
Old 02-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #1058

Realized I just hit the 1 year retired mark.. more of a milestone because I still haven't felt the need to run back and get a JOB, even with the irksome stock market behavior this year.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:33 AM   #1059

Quote:
That was a big deal for me, too. Especially since I live in the land of super expensive houses. Having it go under $100k was enough incentive to increase the excess payments we were making and get it paid off quickly. (Which also helped our retirement budget because we were diverting even more money from spending to saving/debt reduction... and didn't miss that money... so it lowered our spend budget.)
Old 02-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #1060

My last big milestone was the sale of my rental condo. When I got married in 2007 (also big milestone) the housing market was still down.
I retired in early 2009, and had it rented out. By 2015, the market had recovered enough for me to sell it.
Closed Thread