Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #1061
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cho oyu View Post
As of market close today, I have breached the two comma club by all of $117.

The first, I'm sure, of many a trip back and forth across that boundary as bills get paid and the market fluctuates, but it still brings just a hint of a grin when I see the numbers on the spreadsheet.
And now, almost a year after the first time around, I've managed to top the two comma mark again.

It's disconcerting to continuously invest new money and have my account balances stay reasonably flat. Or drop, what with a heavy equity and international tilt to investments.

Since this is also the first set of downturns I've had to weather with a reasonable amount of money invested in the market, I am glad to see that I can still sleep well at night. I'm not sure if I'd be feeling the same way with 50% drops from market peaks instead of the moderate drops that have occurred. Or if I wasn't contributing new money, for that matter.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #1062
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday marked our two year retirement anniversary. We have our health and the finances seem to be working out well. We feel blessed.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #1063
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nine months after hitting $400,000, we've crossed the $500,000 mark in net worth. Granted $20k of that is home value increasing, which doesn't mean much in our market since its pretty variable.

Investable assets aren't up appreciably, but we did pay off our mortgage during those 9 months, so we have more cash every month to invest

Here's to the next 9 months!
Old 03-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #1064
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

orangehairfella, Congrats! Hope the market today gave you a boost...and hope it sticks.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #1065
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ran my intended job-quitting date through a calculator online, just to come up with a number that is milestone-worthy. And here it is:

That's how many w*rk days I have left!
Old 03-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #1066
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I ran my intended job-quitting date through a calculator online, just to come up with a number that is milestone-worthy. And here it is:

That's how many w*rk days I have left!

Hey what site was that

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #1067
Dryer sheet wannabe

Haven't kept up here for a while and passed a couple of milestones in our FIRE plan.

- Sold primary residence in July 2012.
- DW and I retired from jobs in August 2013, both at age 58.
- Relocated to previously purchased retirement home in August 2013.
- Paid off retirement home in October 2013.
- Surpassed $1M in invested assets for first time in October 2013.
- Rolled over 403b and 457 funds into IRAs in early 2014.
- Worked off 18# while landscaping property in 2014.
- Wearing 2" smaller pants now than I did my last five years of working.
- Haven't dropped under $1M invested for almost 2-1/2 yrs. now, even with weak 2015 second half and bad start to 2016 markets, so feeling pretty good about structure of portfolio.

We're having a lot of fun, enjoying retirement, traveling a bit and getting involved with a lot of other retirees in interesting hiking/walking/exploring/travel activities, started a small home hobby-business to play at, visiting daughter and grand-daughters as frequently as possible. Catching fish, photographing Eagles, Elk, Deer, Bison, Bobcats, Beaver, Muskrat and whatever else crosses our path in the great outdoors.
Looking forward to the future with much anticipation and very little worry or tension left in our lives.

Another milestone this year (2016), and not sure if it's good or bad.
- Had to start using a calendar for the first time since retiring in 2013, due to so many (good/fun) things to do!
Old 03-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #1068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryjm51 View Post
Hey what site was that

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Duration Calculator
Old 03-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
Haven't kept up here for a while and passed a couple of milestones in our FIRE plan.

Another milestone this year (2016), and not sure if it's good or bad.
- Had to start using a calendar for the first time since retiring in 2013, due to so many (good/fun) things to do!
Wow. Those are some GREAT milestones, even though I deleted for space. You make OMY much less appealing!

Congratulations, and hope it continues.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #1070
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cho oyu View Post
And now, almost a year after the first time around, I've managed to top the two comma mark again.

It's disconcerting to continuously invest new money and have my account balances stay reasonably flat. Or drop, what with a heavy equity and international tilt to investments.

Since this is also the first set of downturns I've had to weather with a reasonable amount of money invested in the market, I am glad to see that I can still sleep well at night. I'm not sure if I'd be feeling the same way with 50% drops from market peaks instead of the moderate drops that have occurred. Or if I wasn't contributing new money, for that matter.
The good thing is the regular, continuous investment while the market slumps. That is how you get sale prices on stuff!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #1071
Recycles dryer sheets

Due to regular reinvestment in 401k (and myself and my wife getting raises), rebalancing into stocks, as well as some investment luck in reallocating the portfolio before the '08 crash, our portfolio value recovered by August '09 from the prior peak in Nov. ''07.
In the dark days of '08, I thought it would take us 5-6 years to recover.
Stay the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
The good thing is the regular, continuous investment while the market slumps. That is how you get sale prices on stuff!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #1072

Oh yeah, I FIREd a few weeks ago. So I have that goin' for me.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #1073
Confused about dryer sheets

I opened a consulting business in October 2015. I made enough money to pay off 1 of my vehicles in January 2016. During that same time, I took $15K and started trading US oil and gas companies and gold. Specifically, MRO, WLL, AUY and ABX. Today, I sold most of my stocks for $32K. Next week, I will pay off my 2015 new truck. This will be my last bill, minus my two houses. 1 we live in, (big note), the other is a rental that pays for itself! So, I feel F.I.R.E at 40.... Now, I have to save up more money to play stocks again :-)
Old 03-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #1074

DW and I are both suddenly experiencing FIRE milestones, and not the way we intended. She's battling the Big C at age 52 and I had an MRI last week as "just a precaution" related to some headaches I've been having. Well, holy buckets, at age 50 for me they found two small "signs of stroke". Both of us are otherwise in great health with long-lived families and I've never had any stroke symptoms, except headaches. Her treatments are apparently going 100% well, as far as anyone knows. Why am I telling strangers on the internet our health problems? Because this kind of news rattles you and makes you think about FIRE. It forces you to think about life and what you want out of it. We've been assuming I'd work until 59.5, at which time we could retire smoothly at current lifestyle levels with $3M, if projections work out, though it's never been clear that DW has any vision of ever stopping. Now, however, on a short, slow walk around the neighborhood last night feeling like old people, even DW said "Now tell me again when we can quit?". That's a first for her. I've mapped out a Plan B that would let us semi-retire in 5 years with about $2M, including buying into healthcare at her work, and suddenly that path is a lot more appealing. So our milestone is going from healthy horses to feeling mortal, way too suddenly.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:10 AM   #1075
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
DW and I are both suddenly experiencing FIRE milestones, and not the way we intended. She's battling the Big C at age 52 and I had an MRI last week as "just a precaution" related to some headaches I've been having. Well, holy buckets, at age 50 for me they found two small "signs of stroke". Both of us are otherwise in great health with long-lived families and I've never had any stroke symptoms, except headaches. Her treatments are apparently going 100% well, as far as anyone knows. Why am I telling strangers on the internet our health problems? Because this kind of news rattles you and makes you think about FIRE. It forces you to think about life and what you want out of it. We've been assuming I'd work until 59.5, at which time we could retire smoothly at current lifestyle levels with $3M, if projections work out, though it's never been clear that DW has any vision of ever stopping. Now, however, on a short, slow walk around the neighborhood last night feeling like old people, even DW said "Now tell me again when we can quit?". That's a first for her. I've mapped out a Plan B that would let us semi-retire in 5 years with about $2M, including buying into healthcare at her work, and suddenly that path is a lot more appealing. So our milestone is going from healthy horses to feeling mortal, way too suddenly.
My best to you and your DW. I think tales like this are very valuable for those of us stuck in OMY land. Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:59 AM   #1076
Recycles dryer sheets

Markola, I am sorry to hear of your health surprises. I know that my cancer scare two years ago was a big motivator to hang things up. My thoughts are with you and your wife hoping you successfully get through this patch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2016, 06:59 AM   #1077

markola, so very sorry to hear of the health issues you and your DW are having. It does indeed add a sense of urgency to retiring early. My cancer diagnosis 4.5 years ago was quite a life changer. So I really do hear ya on how it makes you look differently at what you really "need" in order to retire, and also what kind of financial risks you are willing to take in order to have more TIME, the most precious thing of all!

The "one more year" syndrome takes on a whole new meaning when you wonder...will I have one more year?

Our plan is hopefully to retire 2 years from now...assuming the ACA is still in place! My best to you and your wife.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #1078

Markola - best wishes for improved health for you and your wife.

I had the "aha" moment when my dad died at age 77 and my brother died 2 months later at age 48. I worked almost 5 years past that because I didn't have enough saved - but it definitely changed my focus. My mom had also died youngish (67) and only had 5 years in retirement. I think things like this are non uncommon in triggering the desire to be free from work encumbrances and enjoy life while we have it.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #1079
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for sharing this and best wishes that everything works out. It's a stark reminder that this board probably is not a true representative sample of those bent on FIRE. If you had had a debilitating stroke instead of minor ones, you wouldn't have posted. There are doubtless others who were serious about FIRE and also ran into a major unplanned event and as a result aren't posting here.

A couple others have mentioned this in terms of OMY syndrome. I think it's useful before reaching FI -- a reminder that it may be worth it to move a little slower getting to FI if that also means a higher quality in the meantime. It seems like the law of diminishing returns applies here. That extra 10-20% income often "costs" a lot more than 10-20% in terms of balance and happiness. Giving up that up seems like a fair hedge against an earlier-than-average demise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
DW and I are both suddenly experiencing FIRE milestones, and not the way we intended. She's battling the Big C at age 52 and I had an MRI last week as "just a precaution" related to some headaches I've been having. Well, holy buckets, at age 50 for me they found two small "signs of stroke". Both of us are otherwise in great health with long-lived families and I've never had any stroke symptoms, except headaches. Her treatments are apparently going 100% well, as far as anyone knows. Why am I telling strangers on the internet our health problems? Because this kind of news rattles you and makes you think about FIRE. It forces you to think about life and what you want out of it. We've been assuming I'd work until 59.5, at which time we could retire smoothly at current lifestyle levels with $3M, if projections work out, though it's never been clear that DW has any vision of ever stopping.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #1080

Markola, sorry to hear of this happening to you and wishing all the best for your outcomes.