Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2016, 06:09 AM   #1141
Dryer sheet aficionado

Four years of FIRE today and going strong!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #1142
Recycles dryer sheets

to kgtest, congrats you are doing so much better than most and if it takes you a few more years than planned its ok, keep plugging and you will be better than fine

Old 07-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #1143
Recycles dryer sheets

surferlife, while being young in your field you are one of the older guys, don't be afraid to pass on some knowledge to the younger guys. I was army for four years and saw so many people just completely wasting their $$, I had a 03 CO who tried hard to influence people to save and it worked with me, You are in a position to influence others
Old 07-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #1144

FIRE milestone today... Put in the forms to turn on my pension the month after I turn 55. It's actually 2 pensions - both frozen a long time ago and very small... But added together they add up to $5500/year. Woo hoo. That's more travel money... or perhaps lower my WR from 2.8% to something smaller. Or... more likely... that will cover the increased grocery bills for my teenagers' growing appetites. (Man these boys can eat!)

But it's a FIRE milestone, none-the-less.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #1145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlow65 View Post
to kgtest, congrats you are doing so much better than most and if it takes you a few more years than planned its ok, keep plugging and you will be better than fine
Thank you. I figure setting ambitious goals and slightly missing is better than setting no goals.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #1146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by engprodigy View Post
My NW crossed $600k for the first time
Five years ago when I started tracking, it was only $108k. I hope I can keep this accumulation rate up for a few more years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engprodigy View Post
I think I could potentially hit $1M four years from now, but of course you never know what might happen. That's the goal though!
I haven't posted in a couple years but it looks like I'm still on track for $1M by Nov. '18 with current NW $791k.

I'll be 36 in Nov. '18, so the potential to be FI by 45 still seems possible, fingers crossed.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #1147
Recycles dryer sheets

As of today we're part of the two-comma club! (Investments alone, not including house.) Granted, on Monday we'll likely be kicked back out , but that's OK.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #1148
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
As of today we're part of the two-comma club! (Investments alone, not including house.) Granted, on Monday we'll likely be kicked back out , but that's OK.

Congrats from a fellow 'burbanite.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:04 PM   #1149
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally achieved two commas excluding primary real estate. It includes a very conservatively estimated rental property.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #1150
Confused about dryer sheets

Update! Just surpassed 300k!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #1151

DW and I hit some milestones recently.

Broke $250k investable / cash via:

$173k 401k
$70k cash account (checking/saving/cd)
$14500 Roth accounts
$4500 529 plan

01 June mortgage dropped below 100k on 350k market value.

Much thanks to this forum, we are well on our way.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #1152
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As of Friday's close, I finally popped the $1.1M barrier in investable assets. I know I should be ecstatic about it, but my attitude is a bit "meh". I think part of the problem is that the market has been going sideways for about two years now, so instead of being happy about it, my attitude is more along the lines of "well, it's about time!".

Looking at my records, it took me 17 months to get from $1M to $1.1M, 14 months to get from $900K to $1M, and only 8 months to get from $800K to $900K. I guess those few years bouncing back from the Great Recession spoiled me a bit! Anyway, hopefully $1.2M comes along pretty quickly!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #1153
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
As of Friday's close, I finally popped the $1.1M barrier in investable assets. I know I should be ecstatic about it, but my attitude is a bit "meh". I think part of the problem is that the market has been going sideways for about two years now, so instead of being happy about it, my attitude is more along the lines of "well, it's about time!".

Looking at my records, it took me 17 months to get from $1M to $1.1M, 14 months to get from $900K to $1M, and only 8 months to get from $800K to $900K. I guess those few years bouncing back from the Great Recession spoiled me a bit! Anyway, hopefully $1.2M comes along pretty quickly!
I tend to "meh" around these incremental "milestones" as well. Either that or sometimes I get a fleeting sense of success that is quickly replaced by "meh."

For me, the only cure is to take a longer view. In your case, for example, it looks a lot better to say that in just about 3 years (39 months) you went from $800k to $1.1M. That's a 37.5% increase, which is damn respectable.

In the end, the "get rich slowly" path is plodding and deliberate. It seems like a long road, because it is. So... Stay the course!
Old 07-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #1154
Dryer sheet wannabe

Last megacorp paycheck

I will receive my final big pharma megacorp paycheck this coming Friday, not counting the severance payment that I deferred. After 23 years with the company that counts as a milestone in my book.

I joined the site and posted in this thread August last year since we finally had reached the $1.0 million mark in cash assets, with $80K after tax. Since then I've just been lurking.

Now we are well over $1.1 million with $175K after tax. And the megacorp owes me a severance check for $170K Jan next year. And they will provide very good retiree medical benefits for both of us for just a few thou a year. We only owe $40K on our home which was just appraised for $350K, and we have no other debts. We live in the SE where cost of living is low, in a state that is very retiree-friendly when it comes to taxes.

All that is the good news. Now for the bad news... I am only 56 and according to FIRECalc and other models I will need more $$ to maintain our lifestyle before SS kicks in. I figure about 50% of my megacorp income for 3-4 years should do it. So I am evaluating options. But, after not working for a couple of months now, one thing I don't want to do ever again is be a megacorp executive. My blood pressure magically dropped to healthy-normal when I walked out the door
Old 07-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #1155

Finally hit that 2-comma milestone earlier this year. Not sure what I expected but I thought I'd feel different. I guess I let out a little "woo hoo" and then jumped on my bike and went to the gym...and life just went on. The real change had come long ago when I realized what a dollar was worth in my pocket and stopped squandering them. So, I guess my real WOO HOO!!! moment was back when I really didn't have a comma to my name.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:35 AM   #1156
Dryer sheet aficionado

After what seems like a slow trudge, I have now hit the $900,000 mark. I'm 42 now, hopefully will hit the two comma club sometime in my 43rd year.

Sent from my XT1031 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-22-2016, 05:41 AM   #1157
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

80 years of a happy life
57 years of marriage to my bride
27 years of retirement
Old 07-22-2016, 06:10 AM   #1158
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
80 years of a happy life
57 years of marriage to my bride
27 years of retirement
Awesome!!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #1159
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
After what seems like a slow trudge, I have now hit the $900,000 mark. I'm 42 now, hopefully will hit the two comma club sometime in my 43rd year.
That's great! Wow, what a terrific situation to be in.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #1160
Recycles dryer sheets

Started tossing wool pants that require cleaning, that I won't be needing in a couple years. Will keep a few suits for personal events. Just as gratifying as comma milestones for me