Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the massive uptick in real estate, i now have well over 4,000,000 in equity in my rental properties. makes my 1.3m vanguard ira seem insignificant.

Four year anniversary since I FIREd! Life is good!

I put this up on Class of 2017, but it's a milestone, so here it is again. Effectively today is my day, if officially a little later. I now start my accrued vacation days, and on 4/12 I will stop in to the office to turn in my laptop, CC, etc. However, I am w**rking no more, and will put up "I'm retired" messages on the corp phone and e-mail today. It has been 35.75 years to the day. I briefly felt a bit rudderless yesterday morning, but I think I am over it.

Later on I was thunderstruck by a song on the radio that will have to be my theme song for a while. As the Eagles so magnificently put it -

Well, I heard some people talkin' just the other day
And they said you were gonna put me on a shelf
But let me tell you I got some news for you
And you'll soon find out it's true
And then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself

'Cause I'm Already Gone
And I'm feelin' strong
I will sing this vict'ry song, woo, hoo, hoo, woo, hoo, hoo

Well I know it wasn't you who held me down
Heaven knows it wasn't you who set me free
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key
But me, I'm Already Gone

And I'm feelin' strong
I will sing this vict'ry song
'Cause I'm Already Gone
Yes, I'm Already Gone

I put this up on Class of 2017, but it's a milestone, so here it is again. Effectively today is my day, if officially a little later. I now start my accrued vacation days, and on 4/12 I will stop in to the office to turn in my laptop, CC, etc. However, I am w**rking no more, and will put up "I'm retired" messages on the corp phone and e-mail today. It has been 35.75 years to the day. I briefly felt a bit rudderless yesterday morning, but I think I am over it.

Have fun with the photography! You've posted some excellent stuff already and with time to spare, you'll undoubtedly improve. (becoming better underwater photographer is near the top of DW's retirement list)

Later on I was thunderstruck by a song on the radio that will have to be my theme song for a while. As the Eagles so magnificently put it -

'Cause I'm Already Gone
And I'm feelin' strong

But me, I'm Already Gone

And I'm feelin' strong
'Cause I'm Already Gone
Yes, I'm Already Gone

Congrats DrRoy!

And, thanks for the trips down memory lane; one from my first FIRE day ( http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/day-one-70589-2.html#post1457272 ), and [-]one[/-] several from my misspent youth while listening to the Eagles. :D

'Cause I'm Already Gone
And I'm feelin' strong

But me, I'm Already Gone

And I'm feelin' strong
'Cause I'm Already Gone
Yes, I'm Already Gone

:dance: Awesome! Brought a smile to my face.

Yesterday was my last full-time day at w*rk, which is good. Transitioning to half time for the next month (or two?). So while I will go to w*rk on Monday, it will be a bit different.

with the massive uptick in real estate, i now have well over 4,000,000 in equity in my rental properties. makes my 1.3m vanguard ira seem insignificant.

Wow-well done. How many properties do you have and what kind are they?

'Cause I'm Already Gone

And I'm feelin' strong

But me, I'm Already Gone

And I'm feelin' strong

'Cause I'm Already Gone

Yes, I'm Already Gone

Congratulations!

100k!

Last month, I just passed the 100,000$ mark. Nothing feels better than having a cushion and being debt-free! Looking to many more milestones in the future. (I am 25)

I'm pleased to announce that at age 61 1/2 I am now a millionaire based on investment savings and cash. The $1M may not last that long due to market fluctuation and because I'm retiring in 5 months and will start withdrawing funds but this was my goal early in my career and I finally made it. (I have a pension too so am comfortable with just $1M.)

I'm pleased to announce that at age 61 1/2 I am now a millionaire based on investment savings and cash. The $1M may not last that long due to market fluctuation and because I'm retiring in 5 months and will start withdrawing funds but this was my goal early in my career and I finally made it. (I have a pension too so am comfortable with just $1M.)

Congrats! (And only here and a small handful of other sites would anyone feel the need to say "just" $1M! In real life, that is a [-]sh*t[/-]carload of money and by no means anything to downplay!)

May not last long with market fluctuations but today I hit 500k in my retirement accounts.:dance: Net worth 1.9 mil (mil retirement, Va disability, DW's SSI, 401k/IRAs, house equity). FIRE in 4 years, 8 months!:dance:

Can't tell DW or there will be a spending spree on the horizon.:(

my net worth has increased just over 1 million through real estate since i retired in 2009 but i did inherit close to 200K and just bought another rental with it in february. in 2009 i took the plunge and went all in with 300K, it bought me 5 single family homes for around 75K each(financing 2 of them), now the homes are in the low $200's.

Haven't checked into this forum for 3 few years now and nice to see the timeline on my FIRE,... homes are now valued at $265k and net worth increased to 1.7mil

Well 4 months after FIRE'ing and 3 months after they were SUPPOSED to issue me a pension lump sum check, I finally got it. What was hilarious is that there were actually 2 envelopes from the megacorp "Pension Center" in the mailbox today. The first one I opened said that it was "official notice" that my 90 day period after initiating the process had expired without payment/closure (because of all their screw ups!). The other one contained a check with the biggest dollar amount of any check I have seen with my name on it (Payable to a FIDO though actually). Other nice thing is that the amount was about $2k over the projected amount that had been on all the paperwork...

Well, this is not a milestone on my way to FIRE but it is a celebration on passing 29 years of retirement yesterday. Almost forgot about posting it until today. The official date was 5-1-1988, but I actually left about March 15 because I got 6-weeks of vacation. As I said once before, can't believe where the time has gone. Seems like my father said that same thing to me later in his life.

Now, my son is 52, drawing his retirement while still working (the drop program) and I'm telling him I can't believe where the time has gone. My retirement party seems like it just happened yesterday. I was 51 when I left and will turn 81 in September.

wow- that's awesome. Tell us what you did right and what you wish you'd done differently. Did your retirement calculations hold up? Did you miscalculate anything? What's the best thing (fun thing) you've done that you couldn't have done working?

Well 4 months after FIRE'ing and 3 months after they were SUPPOSED to issue me a pension lump sum check, I finally got... a check with the biggest dollar amount of any check I have seen with my name on it...

DW got one of those from a former employer. All our previous significant financial transactions - for example, buying houses or cars - have been handled behind the scenes, so we have no history of handling sums of money larger than a grand or two. Both of us were awfully squirmy while transporting it for redeposit into an IRA. "Don't lose it. Don't spill anything on it. Don't get fingerprints or dog hair on it!" :blush:

All that anxiety over a check; a big check, but nonetheless a reasonably secure monetary instrument. It occurred to me that if it had been cash I'd have been a basket case.

wow- that's awesome. Tell us what you did right and what you wish you'd done differently. Did your retirement calculations hold up? Did you miscalculate anything? What's the best thing (fun thing) you've done that you couldn't have done working?

My retirement had nothing to do with my good planning or calculations. It was a combination of bad news, good news and timing. See following:
* My wife was diagnosed with cancer and had to undergo surgery.
* My job in mega corp as project manager had an end in sight. Project was
ending. Might have required me to relocate.
* Mega corp was going through a reduction in force.
* I was able to sign up for future retirement (when project was complete) as
age plus length of service equaled 85 points.
* I would get a defined benefit pension and health care benefits for life.
* Got two years salary as retirement incentive and company paid me Social
Security benefits until I turned 62 and could draw on my own.

I was only 51 and had no intention of retiring but didn't know how long my wife had to live at the time and wanted to enjoy life with her away from the rat race for as long as we could. Retired six months later. Never looked back. Best move I ever made. Wife is a cancer survivor and is still with me. That's the whole story. No calculations-no planning. Just luck. Some bad-some good. Moved to Florida to enjoy the sunshine. Still love it.

Last edited:
Last month, I just passed the 100,000$ mark. Nothing feels better than having a cushion and being debt-free! Looking to many more milestones in the future. (I am 25)

Wow that is impressive. Let's see... long ago at 25 y.o. I had more degrees than a thermometer, but probably slightly negative NW due to student loans.

Congratulations!

• NetWorth up 10+% over past month...largest increase since I started tracking
  • Invested assets over 160k
  • Managed to land contracts for both my moonlight businesses past month
  • Real estate valuations at all time highs along with equity. >30k from paying off first income property
  • Manage over 1.6mil invested assets for friends/fam...all at all-time highs
  • Committed to dads estate as Trustee
  • Available Credit, and # of accounts at all time highs. 401k, ESOP, Pension, 403b, IRA, SEP-IRA, Roth, HSA, 529, Brokerage, Trust.
  • FICO score is highest it's ever been
  • AAPL has turned for me after I snagged it at $96/share and is of course back on top!
  • Beating the S&P going on the fourth year in a row now.
  • Exceeding my journey to fire@fifty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom