Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #1161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest4Fire View Post
Started tossing wool pants that require cleaning, that I won't be needing in a couple years. Will keep a few suits for personal events. Just as gratifying as comma milestones for me
+1

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #1162
Dryer sheet aficionado

Home mortgage is under 100k now.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #1163

Found a replacement for Nespresso capsules. That will save us about $600 a year. More to spend on wine.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:38 PM   #1164
Recycles dryer sheets

Quicken posted second comma on the bottom of the screen today for the first time ever
Old 07-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #1165
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just hit $300,243 in taxable and retirement accounts! Have another $95k in home equity. Couldn't be more proud to share this!

Occupation: Army officer - 10 years to go for my retirement - so still a long way.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #1166
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
We just hit $300,243 in taxable and retirement accounts! Have another $95k in home equity. Couldn't be more proud to share this!

Occupation: Army officer - 10 years to go for my retirement - so still a long way.
That is awesome for such a young man. I am retired E9 in my mid 50s and we have about 600k. You are on your way. Congrats 😀
Old 07-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #1167
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
That is awesome for such a young man. I am retired E9 in my mid 50s and we have about 600k. You are on your way. Congrats 😀
Thanks for your service and thank you! Hoping to be like you one day! Been a MAJ for 2 1/2 years, hoping to be a LTC within the next 4, then ride it out till I have 20 active.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #1168
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks for your service and thank you! Hoping to be like you one day! Been a MAJ for 2 1/2 years, hoping to be a LTC within the next 4, then ride it out till I have 20 active.
You will for sure. Just stay focused. BTW I work with several Marine LTC AND COL active and retired swell much of guys. They love to hear from this old retired Command Master Chief 😀 Take care and good luck on your promotions. BTW stay in as long as you can, your salary is far better than most get out here
Old 07-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #1169

Quote:

Old 07-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #1170
Dryer sheet wannabe

2.0M

Just updated balances for the month to discover that DW and I are multimillionaires by a whole $1,600 over the 2.0M mark (all in, including home equity). Seems funny typing that out, nothing feels different and we still have a very long time to go before FIRE due to our life circumstances. That said, it's fun to see the snowball pick up some speed. Unfortunately, I doubt the markets will stay at this level for long so I'm guessing this will be short lived.

I wrote post number 313 on this thread back on December 29, 2013 to memorialize us hitting 1.5M. We were both 36 then, and we're 39 (DW is 38) now. The intervening years have been a grind at work, frankly I'd prefer to have those three years back.

To everyone out there with their eye on the FIRE prize, no matter where you are in the process keep up the good work!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #1171
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Found a replacement for Nespresso capsules. That will save us about $600 a year. More to spend on wine.
Sounds like your household budgeting process is a close relative of ours!
Old 07-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #1172
Recycles dryer sheets

Share your FIRE Milestones

1.25 investable; no debt except $289K mortgage; saving $7,500/month; hope to pay off house and FIRE in 6 years at 56. Seems a long road to work except life goes pretty quickly and so much more of it is behind us now.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-30-2016, 04:26 AM   #1173
Recycles dryer sheets

Just hit the $4MM investable assets mark (2/3 of this number outside tax deferred accounts). $550k house no mortgage. DW can pull $32k/yr non-cola pension immediately. Will be 53 at end of 2016.....lots of decisions to make.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #1174
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
Just hit the $4MM investable assets mark (2/3 of this number outside tax deferred accounts). $550k house no mortgage. DW can pull $32k/yr non-cola pension immediately. Will be 53 at end of 2016.....lots of decisions to make.

Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #1175
Recycles dryer sheets

One year of semi-retirement completed (as of yesterday), networth is up 100k, and we're loving Reno, where we relocated from Texas. We've only got two sections left to complete the Tahoe Rim Trail this summer!
Working part-time online from home is working out well--I feel retired but with something to keep me from complete sloth.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #1176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Nice! We are pretty much at the same numbers and age. So what are you leaning towards? I've been slowly cutting back in my practice (dentist) and easing into semi retirement at this point. Currently work 3.5 days a week and will likely drop to 3. It gives me a nice balance of time to play while still being engaged in work.

My youngest is heading off to college so the wife and I will travel more without the restrictions of our kids' school schedules.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #1177
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Nice! We are pretty much at the same numbers and age. So what are you leaning towards? I've been slowly cutting back in my practice (dentist) and easing into semi retirement at this point. Currently work 3.5 days a week and will likely drop to 3. It gives me a nice balance of time to play while still being engaged in work.

My youngest is heading off to college so the wife and I will travel more without the restrictions of our kids' school schedules.
DW and I have careers that require all or nothing. It's nice you have the opportunity to cut it back. My spending plan is $150k/yr. Essentially 3% WR with the pension on top of that. Factoring in taxes and health insurance we should be fine. We have tracked our spending over the last 4 years----$75k average per year.

I feel like I'm good to go.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #1178
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Just hit the $4MM investable assets mark. House no mortgage. DW can pull $32k/yr non-cola pension immediately. Will be 53 at end of 2016.....lots of decisions to make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
+1 As of Friday at $4.002MM W/O home equity or pension of $35K/yr. Also on Friday gave 8 mo notice to Megacorp. DW has a big list of projects for next spring. I plan to take my foot off the gas at w*rk. Also planning extra travel out west for next year.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:04 AM   #1179

I will be fully vested in my pension in six months!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #1180
Dryer sheet aficionado

We paid off our home mortgage today - one step closer to FIRE! Both of us are 51 yrs old, home is worth ~$650k. We'll save like crazy for +/-3 more years, then downshift our careers. Inching closer....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum