Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 years?? What are you in, some kind of get rich quick scheme? :LOL:
The rule of 72, where you either divide the number of years into 72 to find the interest rate to double your money, or you divide the interest rate to figure how long it will take to double your money.
That being said, you will need 9% compounded growth to double your money in 6 years

The rule of 72, where you either divide the number of years into 72 to find the interest rate to double your money, or you divide the interest rate to figure how long it will take to double your money.
That being said, you will need 9% compounded growth to double your money in 6 years

More like 12%

finally!

Well I finally hit my first personally meaningful milestone, in May my investments crossed the $1M mark. Obviously it will fluctuate up and down and I expect to cross it in the upward direction several more times until I'm well beyond that point, but still, this was something I'd had as an internal goal for a long time. :) Technically my worth crossed it a while ago, but I don't like counting depreciating assets like my car, or money that a friend owes me even though she's paying me back on schedule.

I'm pretty pleased about it though I of course don't actually feel any different. Makes being funemployed at the moment a little more enjoyable, though I'd like to rectify that state before I need to withdraw any living expenses any time soon. :)

Anyways, it was a big mental milestone for me, and I wanted to share. :)

Today, I rolled 250,000 . . . . . . miles on my odometer. When it gets to 300, I'm retiring.

Retch the Grate, Congratulation.
I'm terrible. I love to watch our accounts as they grow and tell my husband. "Just $3,000. more until we cross $60,000., $1500 until we cross $80,000." I'm lucky that I don't drive my husband mad. He thinks it's funny that I enjoy keeping track of our accounts. He hates keeping the accounts so works out well.

Well I finally hit my first personally meaningful milestone, in May my investments crossed the $1M mark. Obviously it will fluctuate up and down and I expect to cross it in the upward direction several more times until I'm well beyond that point, but still, this was something I'd had as an internal goal for a long time. :) Technically my worth crossed it a while ago, but I don't like counting depreciating assets like my car, or money that a friend owes me even though she's paying me back on schedule.

I'm pretty pleased about it though I of course don't actually feel any different. Makes being funemployed at the moment a little more enjoyable, though I'd like to rectify that state before I need to withdraw any living expenses any time soon. :)

Anyways, it was a big mental milestone for me, and I wanted to share. :)

Congratulations! That is a big one and a milestone to celebrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the $900k ($908k to be exact) NW mark. That's 500k more than when I first posted here almost exactly 2 years ago. $1M is the next big bump. Shooting for the end of the year, but that's a stretch goal at best

Last edited:
Over the $900k ($908k to be exact) NW mark. That's 500k more than when I first posted here almost exactly 2 years ago. $1M is the next big bump. Shooting for the end of the year, but that's a stretch goal at best

Gotta love this massive bull run. Just remember...what goes up will eventually come down.

I applied for my HELOC today - an item on my retirement to do list. I thought I was a year or two late on applying but my Credit Union pays all upfront costs and has no prepayment penalty and the loan officer never asked if or when I planned to retire. So if I retire in four months and sell the house in a year or so, no problem or extra cost (e.g. the HELOC is just a precaution for me in case I encounter hidden issues while fixing up the home or have cash flow problems). Makes you wonder how they make any money. The loan officer was very impressed with my credit score and lack of debt.

Last edited:
I received my first ever inflation adjustment on my pension. It wasn't a huge increase but it validated that HR didn't make a mistake in going over what I was eligible for when they gave me the details on annuity vs lump sum. With the inflation adjustment the annuity came out a better choice for me.

This is a first: Both of my kids, who fledged years ago, are returning tonight for a weekend vist, each with their SO. Just hasn't happened 'till now.

Just crossed 100% of planned target amount -------------- for 10/2018! :dance::dance:

Got to stay in the cube until then for a retiree healthcare subsidy.

Everything else between now and then will be gravy and/or protection from the certain upcoming correction. Crazy climb since January!! Trendline (Poly) says I might have as much as a 20% buffer!

28787-albums201-picture1480.jpg

Last edited:
Just crossed 100% of planned target amount -------------- for 10/2018! :dance::dance:

Got to stay in the cube until then for a retiree healthcare subsidy.

Everything else between now and then will be gravy and/or protection from the certain upcoming correction. Crazy climb since January!! Trendline (Poly) says I might have as much as a 20% buffer!

28787-albums201-picture1480.jpg

Congrats

And your portfolio about doubled in 4 years, that's nice :D

Congrats

And your portfolio about doubled in 4 years, that's nice :D

Thanks!
It's not as great is it might sound, however, as this includes all contributions to our retirement kitty of ~60% of our earned income per year - LWBYM.....
:D

1st major milestone reached!

Until I found this thread I had simply been putting money towards my investments and savings with hopes that one day I might get to retire somewhat comfortably. Reading through ALL these milestones (75 pages!) earlier this year motivated me to really think about my FIRE number, figure out a reasonable timeline to reach it, and set up mini-goals and milestones along the way to track my progress. I am currently 47 and hope to retire in 2028, BTW.

Well, I am pleased and excited to report I have surpassed my first milestone of $750K (cash, taxable accounts, Roth and TSP/401K). And, thanks to a hot market, I reached it about 1.5 years earlier than expected! I'm sure we're in for a correction soon, but I'll just keep pumping cash in each month.

A funny secondary outcome of all this that I've recently noticed -- before, I thought DW and I were already saving as much as we could. Now that we have realistic goals with timelines, I find myself trying to "beat" our self-imposed goals by finding ways to save even more. So for me putting down actual goals on paper has been doubly beneficial.

...A funny secondary outcome of all this that I've recently noticed -- before, I thought DW and I were already saving as much as we could. Now that we have realistic goals with timelines, I find myself trying to "beat" our self-imposed goals by finding ways to save even more. So for me putting down actual goals on paper has been doubly beneficial.
Same here. I was planning on retiring 12 months ago, and decided to go OMY to decrease risk a bit and allow for a little more spending. Well, over the past 12 months, my savings rate has increased from 35% to >40%! And we did this trying to either meet or beat our plan. So, on 7/5 I give my 2-weeks' notice and it's party time! :dance:

Until I found this thread I had simply been putting money towards my investments and savings with hopes that one day I might get to retire somewhat comfortably. Reading through ALL these milestones (75 pages!) earlier this year motivated me to really think about my FIRE number, figure out a reasonable timeline to reach it, and set up mini-goals and milestones along the way to track my progress. I am currently 47 and hope to retire in 2028, BTW.

Well, I am pleased and excited to report I have surpassed my first milestone of $750K (cash, taxable accounts, Roth and TSP/401K). And, thanks to a hot market, I reached it about 1.5 years earlier than expected! I'm sure we're in for a correction soon, but I'll just keep pumping cash in each month.

A funny secondary outcome of all this that I've recently noticed -- before, I thought DW and I were already saving as much as we could. Now that we have realistic goals with timelines, I find myself trying to "beat" our self-imposed goals by finding ways to save even more. So for me putting down actual goals on paper has been doubly beneficial.

Great lessons. Makes good sense. Glad you are on your way to how you define success. Best wishes ahead!

Just (barely) rolled over to hit 30x spending. Getting close! Now back to OMY-ville.....

-pan-

My milestone is not numerical, but more "peace of mind." Our family finally became "financially secure," rather than "financially independent." By that I mean, if we both lost our jobs, we could survive, virtually forever, without working. It would not be the quality of life we want, but we could keep our house, continue to send the kids to the colleges of their choice and not need welfare. We would not have a lot of travel or luxuries, but we would be fine. This is a big step above having short term security but not quite to the point of "FIRE." Still have a few more years to go for that (I just formally joined the Class of 2020 in that thread)! In the meantime, we definitely feel a lot less day to day stress.

This final year is going to bring many milestones for me! The first one is today, when I "vest" in my state health care benefits after retirement. (25 years). I have roughly calculated that this benefit is worth another $300,000 in the 401K. Huge milestone.

Woohoo! After several delays as I was finding and training my replacement and working half-time for a few months, yesterday was the official final day. Turned in the computer, badge, and everything. Thanks for all the support of the forum! I'm still w*rking at the small business DW and I own but it is for ourselves and not for the "man"!

DW and I just passed the 450k mark since our last post 3 months ago. That's an increase of 50k! I'm getting pumped! Let's keep this going!

DW and I just passed the 450k mark since our last post 3 months ago. That's an increase of 50k! I'm getting pumped! Let's keep this going!
Good job Jasonjam83! Keep up the hard work. Also remember, there is a correction coming. We all know it will come, we just don't know when. But knowing that, we can plan for it, stay the course and profit when it recovers. You're doing it right, keep doing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom