Join Early Retirement Today

Share your FIRE Milestones
Old 09-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #1241
Recycles dryer sheets

Share your FIRE Milestones

Mortgage just paid three years early. When I requested the payoff they offered to lower the rate without refi. Thanks but no thanks. Where was that offer a couple years ago. It feels better than I thought.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #1242

Just checked my bank online... I have 2 pending transactions for my first payments of my 2 very small pensions.... Wooo hooo. Another $460/month (for both combined) coming in.

Not life changing, but sweet none-the-less.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #1243
Recycles dryer sheets

We moved to our retirement home in May and are well settled. Packing took a few weeks, unpacking took a day and a half...

We finally closed on our former residence early this week. Mortgage here was paid off that very day.

I retired in April at age 59.

DW who just turned 62 continues to work from home at least for now. Her income is adequate to keep us from accessing savings and provides healthcare for both of us.

We've been so fortunate..
Old 10-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #1244
Recycles dryer sheets

40 working days left until the longest Christmas vacation ever................
Old 10-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #1245
Full time employment: Posting here.

One year to go. 1 Oct 2017 should be a great day for me!
Old 10-31-2016, 07:14 AM   #1246
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A week late with this one, and really only noteworthy given DW's profession. As of last week, precisely 40 weeks until her last day. ("normal" time for gestation; she is OBG.)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #1247
Recycles dryer sheets

We moved to our new home in Florida in Aug, sold the house in Oregon few days later, paid off the mortgage. The moving went very smooth, we are happy with the new location.

I am still working (commute between Oregon and Florida), hopefully I will be able to hang on to mega corp till Dec 15 2107. The scariest part is still healthcare after I pull the plug.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #1248
Recycles dryer sheets

30 days to go! Better yet, I w*rk the 1st 3 days of November and the last 3. Mostly parties and luncheons those last 3! I have transferred all my staff to their new bosses (it took 3!) so mostly just doing some knowledge transfer now. On vacation the rest of the time. Should close on selling the house Nov. 22, of course DW has been living in the retirement house since July. We expect to move the final 2 rooms of furniture and belongings on Nov. 10. Lots to do, all focused on the magical Dec. 1 when I am FIREed!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishndad42 View Post
30 days to go! Better yet, I w*rk the 1st 3 days of November and the last 3. Mostly parties and luncheons those last 3! I have transferred all my staff to their new bosses (it took 3!) so mostly just doing some knowledge transfer now. On vacation the rest of the time. Should close on selling the house Nov. 22, of course DW has been living in the retirement house since July. We expect to move the final 2 rooms of furniture and belongings on Nov. 10. Lots to do, all focused on the magical Dec. 1 when I am FIREed!

You seem excited. As you should be. Congrats!
Old 11-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by neihn View Post
We moved to our new home in Florida in Aug, sold the house in Oregon few days later, paid off the mortgage. The moving went very smooth, we are happy with the new location.

I am still working (commute between Oregon and Florida), hopefully I will be able to hang on to mega corp till Dec 15 2107. The scariest part is still healthcare after I pull the plug.
That commute ought to cure any OMY issues!
Old 11-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #1251
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
That commute ought to cure any OMY issues!
I have the luxury that mega corp allows me to work remote 4 weeks every quarter. That makes one trip this year and 4 trips next year. Still, I concur that will absolutely cure my OMY issue.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #1252
Recycles dryer sheets

We decided on a date (April 2017) for me to leave the tech sector and join DW in our small business. Told the kids (youngest of which will graduate college in June 2017) - so it's getting real!
Old 11-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #1253
Recycles dryer sheets

29 working days left....... I can SMELL IT now!!!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #1254
Confused about dryer sheets

New to the forum and wanted to contribute. Just hit 750k net worth. A million feels so close!
Old 11-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #1255
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxisland View Post
New to the forum and wanted to contribute. Just hit 750k net worth. A million feels so close!
Congrats!
You'll be there before you know it
Old 11-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #1256
Recycles dryer sheets

Accepted the better of two offers on our home. Assuming everything goes smoothly, we will close in mid January and rent back until the twins graduate HS in June. We now have 7 months to sell or donate what we won't need in our new situation - small cottage on Vermont lake during the summer, and winter place in southern utah.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #1257
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
Accepted the better of two offers on our home. Assuming everything goes smoothly, we will close in mid January and rent back until the twins graduate HS in June. We now have 7 months to sell or donate what we won't need in our new situation - small cottage on Vermont lake during the summer, and winter place in southern utah.

Nice combo of seasonal pilgrimages. VT is wonderful. Checking out Utah is on the bucket list. Hope the closing works out.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #1258
Dryer sheet aficionado

6 months to go from $550k net worth to $650k. Home value made up $10k of that. The recent market run up obviously contributed quite a bit too.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #1259
Dryer sheet wannabe

Can't stop working...

52 yo here and I don't think I have enough to retire. Perhaps a little of the thinking is due to not believing some of the calculators. Perhaps some is that I like my job and still have a child in High School (last of three). Kiddo will be off to college in Fall of 2018. So I'm fairly certain Fall of 2019 will be the last working season...

DW and I have 2,250,000 in liquid / investments (some of which is 529 for college - we've paid most college expenses, they all work for some and they all will graduate debt free). We have 1,250,000 in paid for home. I'll get 1,500,000 - 2,000,000 over five years when I leave my business. Home in retirement will likely be cut in half and we'll plan to rent on AirBnb for big family holidays etc.

Currently making 250,000 and saving 74k per year. Don't believe I've saved aggressively enough. Certainly not like some of the champions out here. Do have a simple lifestyle planned in retirement - with travel and charity in the plans.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #1260
Recycles dryer sheets

You numbers seem to be in pretty good shape, greatly enhanced by this. Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Months.in.Wyoming View Post
I'll get 1,500,000 - 2,000,000 over five years when I leave my business.