Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #1421
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub View Post
Congrats, that is a big milestone!
BTW- does your user name refer to the car or something more cosmic?
Neither. It's a reference to the geographic location in which I live- Northern Virginia abbreviated NoVa, just outside of DC

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #1422
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post
Just a question. I've got more or less the same 'problem'.

How do you emotionally handle the rollercoaster in net worth while maintaining an investment portfolio. The daily swings can be ferocious.
Yeah the ups and downs can be pretty wild- I've seen my portfolio lose 1.5 million and single day drops of over 100k. But whenever I see the huge drops I just remember that there have been huge gains in a single day too. I think my biggest single day gain was a bit over 90k.

I always continue to just shrug my shoulders and stay the course. The good Lord giveth, and the good Lord taketh away.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #1423
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post
Just a question. I've got more or less the same 'problem' [of 5 mill investment portfolio].

How do you emotionally handle the rollercoaster in net worth while maintaining an investment portfolio. The daily swings can be ferocious.
We are in that ballpark. The last few years have been easy. Remembering back to 1987, 2000, and 2008-09, it wasn't fun to see the percentage swings even with the then smaller portfolio. But, you just ignore them and follow the investment plan.

If you can't ignore the air pockets that will necessarily be hit, your portfolio allocation is too heavy on equities. And if you think there is a chance you can't ignore them just because you now have a bigger portfolio, or have retired, you need to adjust the portfolio allocations now. We've been moving toward a bigger fixed income alocation in anticipation of soon retiring. Given we were 100% equity for forever, we still look too heavy to most--but we have enough "cash" and short term bonds to survive a relatively long bear market with no equities being sold.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #1424
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Investment portfolio crossed the 5 million mark today.
Congrats on that milestone. I closing in on that number...not quite there yet but getting close. Plan to fire before year end 2017.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #1425
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Friday I called Megacorp to start my pension. 3 weeks of w**k left and I am done, then 2 weeks of accrued vacation, and the cord is fully cut.
Congrats DrRoy....just seemed like yesterday when I saw your post that you had given your 8 month notice.