Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #1681
Full time employment: Posting here.

There must be something about that $1.3M mark. It seemed like it took us forever to go over it and when we finally did, we zoomed up to the almost $1.4M mark. Then, the market laughed and said, "I giveth and I taketh away" and we fell below $1.3M. We're teetering on the edge of $1.3M now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Share your FIRE Milestones
Old 02-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #1682
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Share your FIRE Milestones

One breakthrough lately has been finding a retirement calculator/planner that I actually enjoy using, Personal Capital - Retirement Planner. It inputs all of my existing finances into a modern interface automatically, then it uses Monte Carlo simulations and lets me play endlessly with all kinds of what-ifs. The scenario I like best has DW and me FIREing in 2021 :-)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #1683
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I have my last, final performance review. I hope it’s good only because my bonus depends on it, but in reality...I couldn’t care less. The discussion about goals for this next year will go in one ear and out the other. [emoji846]
Old 02-15-2018, 06:31 AM   #1684

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears20 View Post
Today I have my last, final performance review. I hope it’s good only because my bonus depends on it, but in reality...I couldn’t care less. The discussion about goals for this next year will go in one ear and out the other. [emoji846]
This would have to be one of the biggest things I don't miss!! Receiving, writing, giving, all aspects of performance review. We always did a whole thing of goal setting, oh don't miss that either!!! Today's goal - go to yoga and lounge around!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #1685
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
There must be something about that $1.3M mark. It seemed like it took us forever to go over it and when we finally did, we zoomed up to the almost $1.4M mark. Then, the market laughed and said, "I giveth and I taketh away" and we fell below $1.3M. We're teetering on the edge of $1.3M now.
I was in the same boat as you these past few days. But, I just checked today and I'm back over $1.4M as of this afternoon. I'm also 70% to my mid-level FIRE goal of $2M (1.75M on the lower side, 2.25/2.5 on the higher side).
Old 02-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #1686
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm back over $1.5M again. Carpediem, looks like the market giveth back again!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 02-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #1687
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I'm back over $1.5M again. Carpediem, looks like the market giveth back again!
Back over 1.7m today. Would like to get to 2m in the future.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #1688

Sharing a milestone today with all my fellow retirees and those wannabe's. 30 years ago today was my last day of work with mega corp. The official date of retirement was 5-1-88 but I got to add on my six weeks of vacation so I walked out 30 years ago today. Funny, but I haven't missed it one bit.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #1689
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Sharing a milestone today with all my fellow retirees and those wannabe's. 30 years ago today was my last day of work with mega corp. The official date of retirement was 5-1-88 but I got to add on my six weeks of vacation so I walked out 30 years ago today. Funny, but I haven't missed it one bit.
Nice to hear for us newbie retirees. Any financial words of wisdom from someone who has experienced retirement longer than most on this site?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #1690

I turned 59 and a half.
Look out IRA funds!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #1691

Thanks for the reply Dtail. No real words of wisdom from this lucky guy. That's what I was to be able to retire at 51 with a defined benefit pension and a buyout. The most luck of all was having good genes. Health is everything. Whatever is in second place is a long way behind. I never was an investor other than my 401K. Can't help you there. My only claim to early retirement was good luck and good genes.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #1692
Give me a forum ...

Thanks JOHNNIE66. Had a buyout myself, but just good for 1 year. lol
I agree with your health comment. No amount of money can make up for bad health.
Have good genes in my family. We shall see.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #1693

DW’s bucket overfloweth and her last day is Friday. She plans to take the spring and summer off before exploring her next move, if any, at age 55. It’s nice to have options, thanks to decades of savings.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #1694
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
DW’s bucket overfloweth and her last day is Friday. She plans to take the spring and summer off before exploring her next move, if any, at age 55. It’s nice to have options, thanks to decades of savings.
Congrats to both of you !! Decades of savings is the key.... Good Job !
Old 03-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #1695

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
Congrats to both of you !! Decades of savings is the key.... Good Job !

Thank you! We just returned from looking at our new plot at the community garden. I bet she spends a lot of time there this summer.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #1696
Dryer sheet aficionado

My monthly expense varies depending on how I calculate it (do I include collecting firearms and travel, or just overhead?) but my basic cost of living is 1,000/month.

I'll be transferring about 330k from stocks and CDs into a single-state municipal bond fund that will pay a current tax-free dividend of just over $1k/month, and plan to never touch it. The money already exists elsewhere in my portfolio, and when not paying dividends, it's clocking in at around $1260 in monthly withdrawals at 100% success rate until I'm 80 on c fire sim.

Does this mean I am financially independent?

The next income milestone to reach will be 1600/mo, which includes business expenses that are incurred when my business income peaks, in effect taking care of itself. 2k/mo just translates into smart security, and at 3-5k/mo I might as well retire. But 1k is the critical number.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #1697

HighOnLife - congrats on reaching this milestone. As you pointed out you'll probably need more to account for inflation unless these bonds are TIPs. But it's a great thing to get income streams set up.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #1698
Give me a forum ...

I passed 1 year RE on March 31. Lots of travel and photos. Ready to start year 2!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9574-6FB.jpg (616.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #1699
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I passed 1 year RE on March 31. Lots of travel and photos. Ready to start year 2!
I love looking at your pictures. Thanks for sharing and congrats. 8 months for me.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:32 AM   #1700
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Sailing View Post
NW just went over $2M last week. Then I realized that I had double counted one of DW's accounts so now back at $1.92. But for a few days in my mind we were multimillionaires!

More importantly, I have driven home from work in the dark for the last time! 160 days to go...
We just passed the $2mm net worth on Friday with the help of our Bonuses. Jumped straight to $2.1mm including our home equity and two rentals. We are 70% to goal before retiring. Continuing to pay down home at the rate of 60k per year and should have paid off in 7 years. Then can seriously think of retirement. Plan is to sell everything, buy a boat to live and travel on for a minimum of 2years. We can’t wait!
Closed Thread