Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #1701
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowej View Post
We just passed the $2mm net worth on Friday with the help of our Bonuses. Jumped straight to $2.1mm including our home equity and two rentals. We are 70% to goal before retiring. Continuing to pay down home at the rate of 60k per year and should have paid off in 7 years. Then can seriously think of retirement. Plan is to sell everything, buy a boat to live and travel on for a minimum of 2years. We can’t wait!
That must have been a heck of a bonus! Congrats
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #1702

This one isn't a dollar amount. My DH likes to buy property (undeveloped with timber on it) for sale later. He owns some in partnership with a friend across from our house- a big parcel- 70 acres or something like that. Someone called about it and wants to buy 20 or so. This will be a nice chunk of change. We were riding over it yesterday with one of our kids- its pretty piece of land and he was musing on keeping it instead- maybe putting in a dam and making a pond. And you know what- I think that's a good idea. This is quite a change for me- I never liked tying up our money in land for YEARS, with only an occasional bit of income from thinning, and taxes every year. Its hard to get your money out of it when you need to. But you know what? We don't need the money, and a pond would be fun!
Old 04-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #1703
Dryer sheet wannabe

$2.1M in 401k. . 😁FIRE this May! Long time coming!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #1704

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
$2.1M in 401k. . 😁FIRE this May! Long time coming!
Nice
Old 05-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #1705
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is the week that put me at 30x my target expenses . . . IF I had been allowed to keep the fruit of my labor & my spouse had not run off with those zeros and commas! I hear she is redistributing it into a consumer ocean of restaurants and concerts. Starting a timer now to see how long it takes me to get back up there. Throwing a mini-celebration for having reached what was once a mirage in the desert. Now, back to work for me!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:15 AM   #1706
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm now worth my weight in gold.

But I don't want the Midas touch -

Nice!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:45 AM   #1707
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold my house (close June 1 so not out of the woods yet). Part of the retirement plan was to downsize from my 4,000 sq ft home to a 1,500 sq ft home. I bought and moved into the smaller home in March and have been waiting for a buyer for the old house. Someone made an offer and I accepted it, so that's a huge relief. Now I just have to get through the closing without anything going wrong. This allows me to FIRE 2 years earlier because of the equity in the house (which I will put into a taxable fund). Yay!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #1708

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
Sold my house (close June 1 so not out of the woods yet). Part of the retirement plan was to downsize from my 4,000 sq ft home to a 1,500 sq ft home. I bought and moved into the smaller home in March and have been waiting for a buyer for the old house. Someone made an offer and I accepted it, so that's a huge relief. Now I just have to get through the closing without anything going wrong. This allows me to FIRE 2 years earlier because of the equity in the house (which I will put into a taxable fund). Yay!
Way to go! Put all that ‘dead equity’ to work!
Old 05-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #1709

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
Congrats! that's my plan too (relocate to a LCOLA). Did you pay cash for the smaller house since you bought it before selling the primary house first? Because it's my understanding that if you own a home they won't finance your next home as primary, requiring a higher down payment?
The Magic Age
Old 05-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #1710

The Magic Age

Hit a temporal milestone: I am now 59 and a half years ancient.

It's like finding the golden talisman in a video game that unlocks the treasure chest; I now have penalty-free access to my 401k. Huzzah!

I dream about scooping it all into a pile and swimming through it like Scrooge McDuck...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scrooge-McDuck-Money-Bin.jpg (118.1 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #1711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post

I dream about scooping it all into a pile and swimming through it like Scrooge McDuck...

Old 05-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #1712
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Congrats! that's my plan too (relocate to a LCOLA). Did you pay cash for the smaller house since you bought it before selling the primary house first? Because it's my understanding that if you own a home they won't finance your next home as primary, requiring a higher down payment?
Yes, I paid cash for the new house.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #1713
Recycles dryer sheets

My milestone as I approach age 56.....I just hit the mark where firecalc gives me 95% success using my estimated retirement expenses minus vacation/snowbirding expenses! Now I figure I only have to work 2 more years to cover vacations and snowbirding costs.
$85K in HSA
Old 05-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #1714
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$85K in HSA

HSA hit $85K. Heading for $100K.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #1715
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
HSA hit $85K. Heading for $100K.
Wow, that's great! I can hardly keep mine funded due to ongoing medical bills.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #1716
Give me a forum ...

I have never paid any bills from it. I pay those out of pocket. Can always pull cash out if needed.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #1717
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hard to believe but NW is up 100k in less than a year. Crazy times!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #1718

600 posts!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #1719
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
600 posts!
400 more and you get another star. lol
Old 05-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #1720
Recycles dryer sheets

Reaching 100K in unearned income. It took 24 years of reinvesting to do it, but I said to myself for years that once I reached that number I was a free agent.

It came more quickly than I expected due to compound interest. Eighth wonder of the world.
Closed Thread