Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #1721
Recycles dryer sheets

It's sort of a "fuzzy" milestone, but recently, every calculator I use (firecalc, I-orp, Flexible retirement planner) says we have a virtually 100% chance of success if we retire now. There are still a lot of variables (my projections include assumptions about down-sizing and cost of college tuition, etc.), but that has really taken a lot of the stress out of w**k..

phil70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #1722
Recycles dryer sheets

Net worth up to $2.26M now.
Nest egg at $2.1M

Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #1723
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our house just sold this morning. Wasn't even in the MLS. We had 4 private showings arranged by our realtor. We had two competing full price offers. Went back and forth into the night last night with the realtors fighting it out. We ended up with a full cash offer, reduced commissions, no inspection contingencies and a few other things. We feel very fortunate. We can now roll all this equity and some cash into the retirement home we are building. Should be done in 14 months or so. All paid for. Fire at the end of 2020. One more step behind us.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #1724
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Our house just sold this morning. Wasn't even in the MLS. We had 4 private showings arranged by our realtor. We had two competing full price offers. Went back and forth into the night last night with the realtors fighting it out. We ended up with a full cash offer, reduced commissions, no inspection contingencies and a few other things. We feel very fortunate. We can now roll all this equity and some cash into the retirement home we are building. Should be done in 14 months or so. All paid for. Fire at the end of 2020. One more step behind us.
Wow, that's wonderful! Congratulations.
Carpediem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #1725

Just closed out my 401k.
I set it to last to the 5 year mark and it financed to the 5.5 mark.
Feels odd to only have the IRA and the "emergency" account now.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #1726
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Wow. Congratulations !!
Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #1727
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy half birthday to me - 59.5. Just changed my VG dividend selection to "gimme that dough".
Carpediem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #1728
Recycles dryer sheets

Last Day of Career Work! (Still getting paid to play around on the water sailing a few days a week this summer)
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #1729
Recycles dryer sheets

Paid off house December 2017 worth 430k. May 2018 hit 500k in investments. Next Goal 750k!!
hilltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #1730
Recycles dryer sheets

Going to make "my announcement, the middle of July", to retire. I'll phase myself out, between now and the end of the year, but I am going to be hard to catch, between now and then. Planning lots of time off.

DW will probably be done on 9/1/18 at which point she'll have 39 3/4 years with the same company, aside from name changes.

We will both be 62 in September with $3.4MM in investable assets and $400K in a paid off house. Our next step is to look for a slower paced community, in Georgia, beyond metro Atlanta.

I am feeling like a prisoner, who will soon be granted parole!!!
canuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #1731
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck5 View Post
Going to make "my announcement, the middle of July", to retire. I'll phase myself out, between now and the end of the year, but I am going to be hard to catch, between now and then. Planning lots of time off.

DW will probably be done on 9/1/18 at which point she'll have 39 3/4 years with the same company, aside from name changes.

We will both be 62 in September with $3.4MM in investable assets and $400K in a paid off house. Our next step is to look for a slower paced community, in Georgia, beyond metro Atlanta.

Congrats! Wow! You have worked hard and I hope you find good ways to spend it. I assume you have pensions, too.

Driving back from Atlanta, I was amazed at how big Lake Hartwell was. Half way between Atlanta and Charlotte on a big ole lake might not be a bad thing.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #1732
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks My wife has a pension, but not I.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #1733
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck5 View Post

Congrats!
Athens, Gainesville, and the Dalton/Rome are all nice in different ways. We used to live in Martinez (Augusta burb) and loved going to the North Geogia Mountains. Best wishes with that first world problem.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #1734
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, thanks for the suggestions from you both! We will enjoy the search!!
Old 06-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #1735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Congrats!
Athens, Gainesville, and the Dalton/Rome are all nice in different ways. We used to live in Martinez (Augusta burb) and loved going to the North Geogia Mountains. Best wishes with that first world problem.
Dalton? Really? It must have changed a lot since I was last there. What’s the attraction these days?
Old 06-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #1736
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Happy half birthday to me - 59.5. Just changed my VG dividend selection to "gimme that dough".
I'm one day younger than you, but I past the 59.5 milestone without noticing it.

It actually is a little bit bigger deal than I gave it credit for, after considering it
for a bit. Full access to retirement funds is a pretty big milestone. I can't justify pulling
the plug yet, I'm a little behind on savings for that early of a retirement. I hope to
be positioned to pull the plug in two more years. We'll see how that goes.

Happy semi-birthday to us both
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #1737
Dryer sheet wannabe

Crossed the $225k NW mark after turning 28. 12 more years...
Old 06-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #1738
Confused about dryer sheets

Just crossed $1.4M in liquid assets after selling a bunch of ISOs from my current company. Would be close to $2M if not for the huge tax hit...
chrisny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #1739
Recycles dryer sheets

Not really a milestone, but my original FIRE date was June, 2021. I decided this week that I just can't take it any more. I'm tired of the internal politics, bureaucracy, etc. In January, 2019, I'm giving my 60 day notice (60 days required by contract). The only reason to even continue until the end of the year is for the end of year bonus.

So that puts me at just over 6 months until FIRE.
AS2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 AM   #1740
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
Not really a milestone, but my original FIRE date was June, 2021. I decided this week that I just can't take it any more. I'm tired of the internal politics, bureaucracy, etc. In January, 2019, I'm giving my 60 day notice (60 days required by contract). The only reason to even continue until the end of the year is for the end of year bonus.

So that puts me at just over 6 months until FIRE.
We all can understand that -

cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote