Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #1741
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonjam83 View Post
Quick update, due to market gains and a steady savings rate DW and I just surpassed the 500k threshold in cash/assets! Thank you all for the great advise and motivational comments, Iíve gained so much since Iíve joined!

Update, DW and I just passed the 600k mark! Looking to lower expenses and increase our savings rate even more!

Jasonjam83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #1742
Full time employment: Posting here.

A milestone of Declaration. During my annual performance bequeath (bonus) meeting, I told my boss’ boss I’d like more vacation than allotted by megacorp’s formula.
This was a bit brave as I’m not FI yet and this sort of desire is not within the company culture. I predicted at least a 1% chance I’d be invited to resign on the spot.
However, I was told I could take all the vacation I wanted as long as all my work was done. This is what I expected and is effectively a denial, as part of my job is planning and forecasting. How can that work ever be done?
Anyway, I still plan on taking extra vacation. The damage is done; I’ve now openly declared myself as someone who would rather be somewhere else than work. I’m a malcontent.
Hopefully I reach FI before the situation comes to a head and I’m shown the door. Megacorp has treated me fairly enough and I don’t relish the idea of toiling for one of our competitors. In the meantime, I’m gonna enjoy those bonus vacation days.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #1743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonjam83 View Post
Update, DW and I just passed the 600k mark! Looking to lower expenses and increase our savings rate even more!
Bravo!

Looks like you’ve been able to sock away $150k in less than a year. That is impressive!
Old 06-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhendren View Post
Not really a milestone, but my original FIRE date was June, 2021. I decided this week that I just can't take it any more. I'm tired of the internal politics, bureaucracy, etc. In January, 2019, I'm giving my 60 day notice (60 days required by contract). The only reason to even continue until the end of the year is for the end of year bonus.

So that puts me at just over 6 months until FIRE.
Congrats! You are almost there. I left mid-year 2017. Since I w*rked half the year, I took half of my 20 days vacation. A few months after leaving, I Get a check for 10 days' pay. A wonderful surprise! I also knew I would only get 1/2 of my bonus, but over time, I just completely forgot about it. So in February, I see an unexpected deposit of several thousand dollars. I drilled in and saw that it was that forgotten bonus. Just a couple of scoops of ice cream on the ol' retirement cake!
Old 06-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #1745
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last year on June 15 was my last day on the payroll (it was a Saturday). So Yay!, one year in.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #1746
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
Iíve now openly declared myself as someone who would rather be somewhere else than work. Iím a malcontent.
Viva la resistance! That takes guts and good for you. Us round pegs are not meant to fit into square holes.
danwhite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #1747
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My milestone was waiting for the package. I was ready to go at 57 but was also had no issue waiting. I was confident that it would happen.

In our jurisdicition/our company based on age, service, position I expected to get a 22-24 month plus benefits, etc. payout.

Two years later that milestone came, as I knew it would. The hard part was not displaying how thrilled I really was to get the chop. It was well worth the wait.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #1748
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
My milestone was waiting for the package. I was ready to go at 57 but was also had no issue waiting. I was confident that it would happen.

In our jurisdicition/our company based on age, service, position I expected to get a 22-24 month plus benefits, etc. payout.

Two years later that milestone came, as I knew it would. The hard part was not displaying how thrilled I really was to get the chop. It was well worth the wait.
That is an awefully generous package. What industry/position were you in that gives those packages. Good for you! Enjoy your RE.
Rowej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:17 AM   #1749
Recycles dryer sheets

well i retired in January 2017 , the problem i wasn't financially independent at the time , ( i was planning for January 2020 )

the good news is i am medically restricted from so much stuff , i have no choice but to spend less , now can i improve the nest egg sufficiently

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote