Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #1801
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^ Good for you but it will be the longest year and a half you have every lived.

street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #1802
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkjk View Post
Told my business partner this week that May 2020 I will retire. Man what a relief that was. Now its a sprint to RE
That's in 572 days or 13,728 hours, 81 weeks and 5 days

Old 10-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #1803
Recycles dryer sheets

My 2004 Cavalier has become the official go-to car for my DS and DDIL to go into the seedy part of town.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #1804
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent all day Saturday with my nose in a spreadsheet working on evaluating an early retirement opportunity.

Good news:
If approved, it would make late spring 2019 retirement possible, as opposed to early 2020.

Bad news:
Using our current spending rate, removing a few obvious things like commuting and parking, we're $600-$1000 a month short to age 62 (roughly 3 years) at a 3.3% draw from retirement funds. This applies at either retirement date.

To keep the plan realistic, I didn't try too hard to reduce our expenses on paper. Plan is for my wife to take SS at 62, and for me to delay until 65.

This seems like a manageable problem, especially as we're open to working part-time, but still a problem. Going to keep watching expenses month to month, especially as we have an adult child who has just started working full-time.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #1805
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes. we have about 1 M in RE - with 25K/year in income

My milestone - pay off last rental property in 2019.
Start DH SS in 2019 and mine in 2025.

IN 2020, I work part time only
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #1806
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just called Penfed to authorize and wire the final mortgage payment. This is my first discrete, non-arbitrary, milestone. My heart is in my throat, and my shoulders feel light. Any idea on when I should see the deed?

I very well could be just months from semi-FIREd. The drudge of working through the weekend is more bearable today.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #1807
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
i just called penfed to authorize and wire the final mortgage payment. This is my first discrete, non-arbitrary, milestone. My heart is in my throat, and my shoulders feel light. Any idea on when i should see the deed?

I very well could be just months from semi-fired. The drudge of working through the weekend is more bearable today.
niiiice!!!!
Old 10-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #1808
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I just called Penfed to authorize and wire the final mortgage payment. This is my first discrete, non-arbitrary, milestone. My heart is in my throat, and my shoulders feel light. Any idea on when I should see the deed?

I very well could be just months from semi-FIREd. The drudge of working through the weekend is more bearable today.
Congrats, that's a big milestone.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #1809
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just called Penfed ...... Any idea on when I should see the deed?
We paid off Penfed loans on the N and S houses. It took months before we saw the deeds. Do make sure the loan satisfaction gets recorded at the county and a call or two to PenFed can't hurt.

Congrats!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #1810

Lost 2x my annual withdrawal this week. And I didn't panic. That's a BIG milestone. I wasn't retired in 2008... so I wasn't sure how I'd do with multi day big drops....

I did have to field a few panic calls from my BIL who is very nervous about the market.... told him to let it ride and when the dust settles, rebalance. Seemed to talk him off the ledge of selling everything and buying annuities. (That's his goto plan whenever the market dips... until I talk him out of it.)
Old 10-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #1811
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsaver View Post
Just crossed $2M invested in my own accounts today (not counting my DH's savings). It was 4 years and 1 month ago that I posted crossing the $1M mark.
After this dip, I'm no longer a $2 Millionaire. I guess I'll get to celebrate this milestone again someday in the future.
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #1812
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After this dip, I'm no longer a $2 Millionaire. I guess I'll get to celebrate this milestone again someday in the future.
Maybe several times.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #1813
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Iíve tracked my net worth for years. Back in Ď08 - to about Ď10, it bounced back and forth over a significant milestone several times and then took off over several more in no time. Just keep doing what youíre doing and the pile will grow bigger.

COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote