Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #1801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ Good for you but it will be the longest year and a half you have every lived.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #1802
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkjk View Post
Told my business partner this week that May 2020 I will retire. Man what a relief that was. Now its a sprint to RE
That's in 572 days or 13,728 hours, 81 weeks and 5 days
Old 10-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #1803
Full time employment: Posting here.

My 2004 Cavalier has become the official go-to car for my DS and DDIL to go into the seedy part of town.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #1804
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spent all day Saturday with my nose in a spreadsheet working on evaluating an early retirement opportunity.

Good news:
If approved, it would make late spring 2019 retirement possible, as opposed to early 2020.

Bad news:
Using our current spending rate, removing a few obvious things like commuting and parking, we're $600-$1000 a month short to age 62 (roughly 3 years) at a 3.3% draw from retirement funds. This applies at either retirement date.

To keep the plan realistic, I didn't try too hard to reduce our expenses on paper. Plan is for my wife to take SS at 62, and for me to delay until 65.

This seems like a manageable problem, especially as we're open to working part-time, but still a problem. Going to keep watching expenses month to month, especially as we have an adult child who has just started working full-time.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #1805
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. we have about 1 M in RE - with 25K/year in income

My milestone - pay off last rental property in 2019.
Start DH SS in 2019 and mine in 2025.

IN 2020, I work part time only
Old 10-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #1806

I just called Penfed to authorize and wire the final mortgage payment. This is my first discrete, non-arbitrary, milestone. My heart is in my throat, and my shoulders feel light. Any idea on when I should see the deed?

I very well could be just months from semi-FIREd. The drudge of working through the weekend is more bearable today.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #1807
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
i just called penfed to authorize and wire the final mortgage payment. This is my first discrete, non-arbitrary, milestone. My heart is in my throat, and my shoulders feel light. Any idea on when i should see the deed?

I very well could be just months from semi-fired. The drudge of working through the weekend is more bearable today.
niiiice!!!!
Old 10-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #1808

Quote:
I just called Penfed to authorize and wire the final mortgage payment. This is my first discrete, non-arbitrary, milestone. My heart is in my throat, and my shoulders feel light. Any idea on when I should see the deed?

I very well could be just months from semi-FIREd. The drudge of working through the weekend is more bearable today.
Congrats, that's a big milestone.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #1809
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just called Penfed ...... Any idea on when I should see the deed?
We paid off Penfed loans on the N and S houses. It took months before we saw the deeds. Do make sure the loan satisfaction gets recorded at the county and a call or two to PenFed can't hurt.

Congrats!
Old 10-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #1810

Lost 2x my annual withdrawal this week. And I didn't panic. That's a BIG milestone. I wasn't retired in 2008... so I wasn't sure how I'd do with multi day big drops....

I did have to field a few panic calls from my BIL who is very nervous about the market.... told him to let it ride and when the dust settles, rebalance. Seemed to talk him off the ledge of selling everything and buying annuities. (That's his goto plan whenever the market dips... until I talk him out of it.)
Old 10-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #1811
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsaver View Post
Just crossed $2M invested in my own accounts today (not counting my DH's savings). It was 4 years and 1 month ago that I posted crossing the $1M mark.
After this dip, I'm no longer a $2 Millionaire. I guess I'll get to celebrate this milestone again someday in the future.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #1812
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After this dip, I'm no longer a $2 Millionaire. I guess I'll get to celebrate this milestone again someday in the future.
Maybe several times.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #1813
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I’ve tracked my net worth for years. Back in ‘08 - to about ‘10, it bounced back and forth over a significant milestone several times and then took off over several more in no time. Just keep doing what you’re doing and the pile will grow bigger.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #1814
Recycles dryer sheets

my new mile stone is I get to retire at 50 which is June 2019 instead of planned 55.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #1815
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
my new mile stone is I get to retire at 50 which is June 2019 instead of planned 55.
Well done - congrats!
Old 12-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #1816
Recycles dryer sheets

Rebalanced once the S&P broke 2700 ... The retirement trigger will still be pulled at the end of the year with a 3.0 - 3.3% withdrawl rate ...... might be a little part time work, but only at my discretion. I am feeling sooooooooo good. DW and I are both 62.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I’ve tracked my net worth for years. Back in ‘08 - to about ‘10, it bounced back and forth over a significant milestone several times and then took off over several more in no time. Just keep doing what you’re doing and the pile will grow bigger.

Yep, same here. I had a lot less to play with back then, but, at the time it sure seemed like a lot! Anyway, I had hit a new peak in October 2007, but once the market started getting choppy in 2008, there was still a few times I came close to that number. Then, in Sept/Oct/Nov it all wiped out.

By November 2009 I was hitting new peaks again. One thing I do remember about that timeframe though, is that every time the market started to take a dip again, I started worrying and thinking oh crap, we're not out of this yet! I can remember a pretty sharp dip in early 2010, but I think it only lasted about a month. Then the summer was another down period, and I was worried it was going to crash again, only to see it take off in the fall.

I think the last time I really worried about a drop was in 2011. There was one month over the summer where I lost about 16%, and I was thinking here we go into the Great Recession again. I didn't fully recover from that one until early 2012.

We've had dips here and then since then, but I don't think there has been anything as big as that 2011 hit. Of course nowadays, with social media being so much more prevalent, and fear-mongering being the cry of the times, every time the market dips, people panic.

Personally I'm a bit annoyed with the current market, simply because I was getting close to a $2M milestone back in August. But then I bought a house, which cost about $179K up front in closing costs, inspections, down payment etc. And then October knocked my NW down about $120K. So, it's going to take me a bit to recover from that.

There is an old saying that the market loses money on average, about 1 every 3 years. Of course, that's not linear...it's not like you make money two years straight and then lose some in the third. But, lately it does seem like there's a bit of a cool-down every few years. For my own personal experience, those cool-down years were 2011, 2015, and now it looks like 2018 might be thrown in there as well. FWIW, I was only down around 0.1X% in 2011. In 2015 I was up around 1.X%, but with inflation that was probably a wash.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #1818

Question: Posters often state, lost 5%,10%,20% of what? Where do you start, yesterdays or year end or last year? From Jan. 2016 we gained 13%, around there. But if I look at 1, 3, 5, 10 year gains, it's about 6% over 10 years. That is based on continuous re purchasing, not withdrawing anything. We switched funds around, added to stock funds but did not contribute from outside funds for over 5 years. So we have a pretty good handle on what the funds are doing over 5 years based on our re balance 5 years ago.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-22-2018, 09:25 PM   #1819

Cashed in some investments this week and paid off our mortgage and HELOC. It’s a great feeling knowing we have zero debt! Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-23-2018, 05:38 AM   #1820
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go! You must be on cloud 9 right now. That's a decision you won't regret.
Closed Thread