Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 09:46 PM   #1821
Recycles dryer sheets

I was reminded of a huge milestone FIRE moment in our life today. Going through some files, I found a 2007 letter from the mortgage company, confirming our loan was paid off. That letter was the culmination of several years effort to become debt free. We we continued applying that snowball toward the mortgage until we'd knocked it out. Reaching that goal was the launchpad for rolling that snowball into saving & investing. Now a decade later, we're FI and within a year we'll RE. But at that time we didn't know anything about FIRE and had no idea where this would all lead.
What a great reminder of how it all started!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #1822
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have not been on here in quite awhile....but...

I FIRE'd last week!

Looking forward to more time for my hobbies (woodworking, cars, beer, travel) and maybe some new things!

Took a lot of planning, had to get health care on the exchange, move all our money from employer to FIDO and re-allocate, and so on...but that's all behind us now and the focus this year is on re-doing our wills/POAs and so on (last done in 2008).

Thanks to all on here for some good advice and encouragement along the way. I just turned 57 and no longer have to w*** for a living!

Dave
Old 01-02-2019, 05:06 AM   #1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post

I FIRE'd last week!

Looking forward to more time for my hobbies (woodworking, cars, beer, travel) and maybe some new things!

Took a lot of planning, had to get health care on the exchange, move all our money from employer to FIDO and re-allocate, and so on...but that's all behind us now and the focus this year is on re-doing our wills/POAs and so on (last done in 2008).

Thanks to all on here for some good advice and encouragement along the way. I just turned 57 and no longer have to w*** for a living!

Dave
Congratulations!!!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #1824

Quote:

I FIRE'd last week!

Dave
Awesome! That kind of news makes me smile

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #1825
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I FIRE'd last week!

I hope you enjoy your retirement!
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #1826
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats, we are 58 and would love to do the same. Afraid to close a 133 old family business and sell properties. Also our health care premiums are 22,000 yr. we are not sure that after selling properties we would have enough at 2 million in the bank and no income until at 67 . Scares us. More power to you for doing it! Congrats
Old 01-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #1827

Quote:

I FIRE'd last week!

I hope to do exactly that in about 8 yrs or so after relocating somewhere I can build a huge workshop and get more toys...tractors, machinery and such. Imma DIY the crap outta everything!

Congrats! What SWR did you settle on?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #1828
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After years of accumulation milestones, a de-accumulation milestone... Just after Jan 1 I took my first withdrawal from my 401K account. The real purpose was to verify EFT from the 401K to a local bank account. Originally I was going to test with around $100, but figured what the heck, lets live a little. I took out (after taxes withheld) around $5,000, and I intend to "blow that dough" in some way, shape, or fashion.

Of course, for the moment, with the market performance the past 10 days the gains in the 401K have more than made up for that withdrawal. But in truth it is a good feeling to be able to enjoy the fruits from my 401K that I have been accumulating for 35 years.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #1829
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
After years of accumulation milestones, a de-accumulation milestone... Just after Jan 1 I took my first withdrawal from my 401K account. The real purpose was to verify EFT from the 401K to a local bank account. Originally I was going to test with around $100, but figured what the heck, lets live a little. I took out (after taxes withheld) around $5,000, and I intend to "blow that dough" in some way, shape, or fashion.

Of course, for the moment, with the market performance the past 10 days the gains in the 401K have more than made up for that withdrawal. But in truth it is a good feeling to be able to enjoy the fruits from my 401K that I have been accumulating for 35 years.
Sweeet, enjoy!!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #1830
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

That's great to hear. It motivates the rest of us that are still running on the hamster wheel.

I followed all your posts when you were on your glide path. So glad you were able to retire and start enjoying what you have planned for.

Nice way to start the new year!!
Old 01-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #1831
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bought what should be my last pair of Red Wing work boots today.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #1832

Finished taking my 26th OSHA 8-hour hazardous waste operations class! Every year, OSHA requires 8 hours of training, but doesn't specify the content. I'm certainly glad that's over! I've also had to take the initial 40-hour class, supervisor class, etc.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #1833

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Finished taking my 26th OSHA 8-hour hazardous waste operations class! Every year, OSHA requires 8 hours of training, but doesn't specify the content. I'm certainly glad that's over! I've also had to take the initial 40-hour class, supervisor class, etc.
Soooo...now you’ll know what to do with all those empty propane containers left over from your FIRE BBQs?

Am I missing some other more obvious FIRE connection?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #1834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Soooo...now you’ll know what to do with all those empty propane containers left over from your FIRE BBQs?

Am I missing some other more obvious FIRE connection?
Last refresher means I have less than one year of w)#$k remaining!
Old 01-29-2019, 06:41 PM   #1835
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
The exact same thing happened to me! Guess we had the pleasure of experiencing that milestone several times!!

Same here! Passed it in 1999 and then we all know what happened, haha! Reached it again in 2003 - divorced - we all know what happens, haha! Crushed it in 2006 and never looked back! Hit 4M in August last year, hoping I can surpass that again soon.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #1836
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I FIRE'd last week!

Dave
That all sounds so good... Congratulations. Thanks for sharing and keep us all motivated who are still w***ing to reach our goals to FIRE.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:56 AM   #1837
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Last refresher means I have less than one year of w)#$k remaining!
You and me both...At least I hope so?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #1838
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Celebrate a new milestone on your journey to FIRE with us! Did you just pay off your mortgage, reach financial independence, or pass a nice round number on your way to FI? Tell us of your accomplishments here!
Milestone 1: Retired at age 49
Milestone 2: Turned 50 one month later
Milestone 3: Moved out of CA.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #1839

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephieJean View Post
Milestone 1: Retired at age 49
Milestone 2: Turned 50 one month later
Milestone 3: Moved out of CA.
Congrats!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #1840
Dryer sheet aficionado

2019 - My journey towards retirement savings

I first joined this forum back in Oct. 2013 and shared my first milestone of finally attaining $100K in my 401K which I was so happy to see. I also joined this forum to gain some insight and ideas/support from the many savvy and intelligent savings planners and to help gain some confidence and support in my own situation and it has been great to see some of the many stories - BIG successes from so many here and to also read about stories of those just now starting or who are on the same path and journey as I.
Qtr 4 2018 was brutal for many who witnessed what was a nice climb in the market take a turn. I held on to my allocations and let it ride but as many, would like to see some nice gains in 2019 to recoup the momentum lost lately.

I have a long way to go but have finally crossed the $300K this week and still maximizing my contributions to the 401K plan even though with 3 daughters and a wife who is a low income earner I have learned to live within my means and live off what I have after paying myself first.

I will also be celebrating my oldest daughter graduating college next month with a Bachelors in Psychology and two minors so I am very proud of that milestone also. It will also allow for me to be able to add the money I was helping her with each semester and being to invest it and as a Dad I am so proud of her achieving that degree and being able to see her join her next steps in the work/career journey.

Thank you for all of the contributions and sharing your journeys with everyone on this site. It makes a great difference.
Closed Thread