Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #1841

Congratulations, CamasSaver! Your story I'm sure will also be an inspiration to others here. Keep up the great work!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #1842
Recycles dryer sheets

-DW and I just passed the 50% complete mark of our active duty careers! <10 years of interesting and challenging w*rk left to go.

-Just broke 800K for NW!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #1843
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephieJean View Post
Milestone 1: Retired at age 49

Milestone 2: Turned 50 one month later

Milestone 3: Moved out of CA.

Milestone #3: [emoji122]
Old 02-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #1844
Recycles dryer sheets

Can someone, please, tell me what FIRE stands for? I've been reading it for years and really am not positive what the acronym really means.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #1845

Financially Independent, Retired Early

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rum-34884.html
Old 02-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #1846
Full time employment: Posting here.

Boss gave me the oral okay to take a few months off work later this year. Will use the time to rest, focus on health, visit family, clean the garage, finish the kitchen backsplash, and other projects.

If DW’s promotion goes through smoothly this summer, I doubt I’ll return. At least not full time.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #1847
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks so much. The link to acronyms helps with many other things as well.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #1848
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
Boss gave me the oral okay to take a few months off work later this year. Will use the time to rest, focus on health, visit family, clean the garage, finish the kitchen backsplash, and other projects.

If DW’s promotion goes through smoothly this summer, I doubt I’ll return. At least not full time.
What a wonderful feeling that must be! We’ll all hope for DW’s promo.

Congrats!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #1849
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizrogers View Post
Can someone, please, tell me what FIRE stands for? I've been reading it for years and really am not positive what the acronym really means.
You might find this helpful, list of some common slang used in this forum.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/acronyms-and-slang-frequently-used-on-the-forum-34884.html
Old 02-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #1850
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post

That is great! I hope it works out for you.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #1851
gone traveling

Milestones already accomplished;
-Mortgage paid off at 48.
-Daughter successfully established at a great CAD job after graduation.
-Son in last quarter of UNOH diesel tech program with offers on the table.
-Paid off vehicles.
- Wife got a 50% raise last year, I got a 10% raise this year....just need to work 3 years
at these rates to increase SS
-Have 20 years of pension built up so far.
-Parents are living well on less than we will have, and still healthy at 77.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #1852

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Milestones already accomplished;
-Mortgage paid off at 48.
-Daughter successfully established at a great CAD job after graduation.
-Son in last quarter of UNOH diesel tech program with offers on the table.
-Paid off vehicles.
- Wife got a 50% raise last year, I got a 10% raise this year....just need to work 3 years
at these rates to increase SS
-Have 20 years of pension built up so far.
-Parents are living well on less than we will have, and still healthy at 77.

I like your Milestone List. Congrats on your huge accomplishments. As for us, now at ages 53 and 55 with no kids, the next goal is semi-retirement. Our milestone biggies so far:

- Started saving early in late 20s with a nice employer match. Somehow found our way early to a convincing book by John Bogle and the VG Total Stock Index Fund and just dumped money for years in that.
- Found Dave Ramsey’s “Total Money Makeover” in a bookstore 15 years ago, which was revolutionary and inspired us to live without consumer debt.
- DW and I both finally maxed our 403bs starting 2009.
- Shaved a quarter off our house debt and mortgage when we moved to our current cheaper city for work. Unlike you, we have a mortgage at 4.1%, which I dislike, but the long term math is compelling that we should keep it.
- We always buy 2-3 year old quality Japanese cars and keep them at least ten years. In 2018 we sold appreciated stock and paid cash for a 2016 Acura MDX, which ought to last another 10.
- DW semi-FIREd in March at age 54! This was not part of any plan but she’d gained a struggling boss who was in over her head, resulting in too many nights in tears, so DW left. Because she left in the year in which she turned 55, she started withdrawals penalty-free from her 401k-equivalent plan. The Rule of 55 is a mighty helpful thing. She had a great 2018, has lost 30 lbs and is happier, so we’re both happier. She is volunteering a lot and looking for part time fun paid work, such as being a tour guide at an historic home in our neighborhood.
- I found I was worrying about the economy and fiddling more than I should be with our AA trying to navigate certain obvious national problems we have these days. I didn’t make any big mistakes, fortunately, but I recognized I couldn’t both read the newspapers and control my itchy investing trigger fingers. So, another 2018 milestone was hiring Vanguard Personal Advisor Services to manage our money. We like our advisor, trust Vanguard’s immense expertise, and it has honestly been a huge relief to have them do the worrying and reduce me in the equation. It is already clear it was the right decision for us.
- I remain on track for joining DW in 2021 in our planned semi-retirement consisting of a variety of paid fun work.

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #1853
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I like your Milestone List. Congrats on your huge accomplishments. As for us, now at ages 53 and 55 with no kids, the next goal is semi-retirement. Our milestone biggies so far:

- I remain on track for joining DW in 2021 in our planned semi-retirement consisting of a variety of paid fun work.

Thanks for reading.
Congrats on what sounds like a good plan. My wild card is health insurance for all of my past issues, and what Cobra will cost compared to buying outright.

We have a small home equity loan, and my daughter's wedding to pay off this year, then I will back up to the 20% 401K dumping, along with building cash, and bonds (3 buckets).
Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #1854
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are finally back at our original investment asset portfolio number as when we first retired 19 months ago.
Perhaps a silly milestone and certainly can be temporary, but it does feel good.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #1855
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired 6 weeks ago and scheduled my first 401K withdrawal today!

My financial representative said once you withdraw funds using the 'rule of 55', you can't return to work for the company without paying the 10% early withdrawal penalty. There's no going back now
Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #1856

I met last week with my manager to discuss succession...who will be running my projects after my departure. Knowing they will carry on without me, left me with a feeling that a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I said September-ish during the meeting. Seems like a long way to go.

About to go on a 17-day vacation with a camper van in New Zealand. Not exactly a milestone, but more preparation, to see how it goes!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #1857
Confused about dryer sheets

Just crossed 200k in total liquid assets, exactly 2 years after reaching 100k! Took me 4 years for the first 100k! It really goes quicker from 100k to 100k.
Share your FIRE Milestones
Old 02-24-2019, 08:10 AM   #1858
Recycles dryer sheets

Share your FIRE Milestones

Finally saw my 401k hit the 7 digits again for one day so far and took a screen shot this time.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #1859

After finally getting an accurate forecasted budget into 2020, it looks certain that DW and I should max 401k's this year. $37k of much needed above the line deductions.

I consider this a milestone, next few milestones will be
1. Max Both 401ks 37k (EOY 2019)
2. maxing Roth Contributions (by EOY 2020)
3. exceeding 5k/yr broker deposit goal (By EOY 2019)
4. paying down extra 25k of mortgage per year in 2025.
5. Decrease spending to ER levels 1yr before ER as a backtest (2030)
6. Determine what the heck healthcare will look like in 10/11 yrs

So likely won't be updating until next year, the following year, and then not again until 2025.

Side goal to continue contributing to 529/HSA. Firing on all cylinders.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #1860

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
After finally getting an accurate forecasted budget into 2020, it looks certain that DW and I should max 401k's this year. $37k of much needed above the line deductions.

I consider this a milestone, next few milestones will be
1. Max Both 401ks 37k (EOY 2019)
2. maxing Roth Contributions (by EOY 2020)
3. exceeding 5k/yr broker deposit goal (By EOY 2019)
4. paying down extra 25k of mortgage per year in 2025.
5. Decrease spending to ER levels 1yr before ER as a backtest (2030)
6. Determine what the heck healthcare will look like in 10/11 yrs

So likely won't be updating until next year, the following year, and then not again until 2025.

Side goal to continue contributing to 529/HSA. Firing on all cylinders.
Sounds like you’ve mapped out a great plan. Why wait until 2030 to test drive ER budget? Any savings from doing it earlier could go into your broker account. Our experience has been that having a substantial portion of our NW in an after-tax broker account significantly improves our flexibility in early FIRE; rebalancing, zero/low tax LTCG capture, Roth conversions, etc.
Closed Thread