Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #1881
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefire View Post
The 2.7 is about 50/50 split taxable and tax deferred.

The bigger issue is that we have 20 something adult kids that are still on our insurance and one of them is on an expensive medication that may or may not be covered on ACA. I'm not even sure how to figure that out.

So for now its employer group health and maybe move to COBRA if we decide to pull the cord, but COBRA only gets us 18 months.
20 kids on insurance?
But anyway, I had a full coverage type PPO in my last year of w*rk and found the full PPO type coverage (Florida Blue) to be just as inclusive within the ACA.
The major difference I have found with the ACA plans coverage is that the dental plan coverage is not nearly as good.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #1882
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
20 kids on insurance?
But anyway, I had a full coverage type PPO in my last year of w*rk and found the full PPO type coverage (Florida Blue) to be just as inclusive within the ACA.
The major difference I have found with the ACA plans coverage is that the dental plan coverage is not nearly as good.
Thanks for the info. I fixed my prior comment about the kids. We have 2 kids that are in their early twenties that we plan to cover on insurance until 26 or when/if they change the ACA language.

wannabefire is offline   Reply With Quote
3.0M
Old 03-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #1883
Dryer sheet aficionado

3.0M

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwhite77 View Post
Just updated balances for the month to discover that DW and I are multimillionaires by a whole $1,600 over the 2.0M mark (all in, including home equity). . . .

I wrote post number 313 on this thread back on December 29, 2013 to memorialize us hitting 1.5M. We were both 36 then, and we're 39 (DW is 38) now. The intervening years have been a grind at work, frankly I'd prefer to have those three years back.

To everyone out there with their eye on the FIRE prize, no matter where you are in the process keep up the good work!
I wrote the post above on July 24, 2016. Today, a little over two and a half years (and a new job and a bunch of craziness) later, we're at 3.0M for the first time.

Thank you Jack Bogle, and may you rest in peace.

Good luck to everyone else out there grinding to the prize.
danwhite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:34 AM   #1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwhite77 View Post
I wrote the post above on July 24, 2016. Today, a little over two and a half years (and a new job and a bunch of craziness) later, we're at 3.0M for the first time.

Thank you Jack Bogle, and may you rest in peace.

Good luck to everyone else out there grinding to the prize.
Congrats. Sounds there will be a FIRE situation for you down the road.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:30 AM   #1885
Recycles dryer sheets

I realized this last week that in the last couple of months, DW and I are now over 1M in net-worth. Also with that I realized I have too much in pre-tax investments and have started investing in some after tax mutual funds and investments. About 3 more years on our plan to sock away some more money before FIRE.

No debts except the house payment which we are (about 70% equity there), no kids in college. A few more house improvements we want to do but in a great position to save and invest some significant cash in our run for the finish line.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #1886
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm now worth my weight in gold.

But I don't want the Midas touch -
What neat milestone indeed! Congrats!
RioIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #1887
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I hit two moderate milestones on the same day:

-I have finally crested the 100K mark in my TFSA account ("Roth IRA" in the US). Considering the limit before gains is $63,500 and there are not that many people in the 100K TFSA club, I feel pretty good about those gains in the ~8 years I've been investing. And just something nice about seeing it reach six figures finally.

-Overall net worth also crested 700K for the first time.
RioIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #1888
Recycles dryer sheets

I am down to double digit days and got exactly 99 days left. I love the feeling !!!!
vipertom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #1889
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just reclaimed $4.5M NW status after the dip in 4Q2018! Also, set maximum target date to retire in 2025.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #1890
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFreeMan View Post
Just reclaimed $4.5M NW status after the dip in 4Q2018! Also, set maximum target date to retire in 2025.
Now you're making me second guess myself. Sitting at 2m NW and put in my resignation letter for 7 June. Hope my numbers don't lie!
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:23 AM   #1891
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Now you're making me second guess myself. Sitting at 2m NW and put in my resignation letter for 7 June. Hope my numbers don't lie!
Everyone has different target. Depends on your expense. I need lots of cushion plus 3 kids going to college soon so my drive to continue. :-)
Old 03-31-2019, 10:50 AM   #1892
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFreeMan View Post
Everyone has different target. Depends on your expense. I need lots of cushion plus 3 kids going to college soon so my drive to continue. :-)
Yeah my situation is different. Both DSs out of the house with degrees. One doing better than than the other. Empty nesters here. We have very low cost hobbies (doesn't cost much to dig up dirt and plant stuff(and surf here))
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #1893
Full time employment: Posting here.

Inching closer towards end of the year NW goal of $3 million. NW is at an all-time high of $2.87 mill.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 PM   #1894
Recycles dryer sheets

I normally only update the portfolio value at month-end (last Friday), but I ran the numbers after the market run-up today and we hit $4M in NW for the first time! We usually focus on investable assets instead of NW, but this was a fun mark to observe. Now back to thinking about FIRE as we peruse FL real estate listings tonight.

Omalley
Omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:09 AM   #1895
Dryer sheet wannabe

Big milestone today for our family, just crossed the 8 digit mark
Rainbowdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #1896

^ wow! Congratulations to all of you.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #1897
Recycles dryer sheets

Wowzers. Congrats all!
The 2 comma club is pretty cool. Can’t wait to be a member one day
Old 04-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #1898
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ wow! Congratulations to all of you.

+1
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #1899
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
Finally saw my 401k hit the 7 digits again for one day so far and took a screen shot this time.
I hear you. Our total investments/cash hit 7 digits yesterday. Even if it only lasted for a short time it was nice to see lol....DW and I are not considered young by most on this site; however, we have a good monthly guaranteed income of over 9k until I can take my SS and then the fun begins. Looking at walking away early next year.
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
I hear you. Our total investments/cash hit 7 digits yesterday. Even if it only lasted for a short time it was nice to see lol....DW and I are not considered young by most on this site; however, we have a good monthly guaranteed income of over 9k until I can take my SS and then the fun begins. Looking at walking away early next year.
That’s great!

How’d it get from $5,500/mo to $9,000/mo?

100% x 10% > 10% x 100%
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote