Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't really complain too much, since I wouldn't be retired yet anyway (due to the lack of a future Mrs. MooreBonds), but the job will entail a bit more stress/aggravation, some of which brought on my aforementioned family members.

Meant to say that I don't want to be playing the dating game in a FIREd state, to try and avoid an even greater difficulty in finding the right one.

1. 2003: Retired from the AF Reserves, guaranteeing a COLAd pension and retiree HI.

2. 2011: Became "mortgageless"

3. 2012: Achieved FI

What a fascinating metric. DW and I are FI but, have not yet achieved NW = lifetime W2 earnings.

Congrats ToolMan on achieving an impressive milestone!

Reached NW (including NPV of guaranteed income streams) = Lifetime W2 Earnings. Not quite as good as 'investible' NW but, getting there.

I am 28 yrs old and hit a NW of 200k this Friday. My goal is 1MM by age 40 if my return % and contributions continue as planned. :)

I haven't told him yet because he's over at my mom's, but with this month's money all officially settled in its rightful place, my boyfriend and I just hit $50k in total savings. It's one of our first major 'total' goals, so it's going to be nice to have hit one. I hadn't added up all of our various accounts in a while and definitely didn't expect this today :) This isn't our NW, which we're negative when you include our mortgage, just a pretty number.

We haven't been forward thinking enough to know exactly when we planned to hit this, but it's a bit sooner than expected.

I... This isn't our NW, which we're negative when you include our mortgage, just a pretty number. ....

I think the mortgage debt and the value of the property cancel each other out--if you sold the house today you would presumably be able to pay off the mortgage without touching your $50K, so you are good to do the happy dance!

Well, yesterday for the first time in my life my portfolio went over $1M.

Of course, today being ex-div for several of my funds, I'm back down to $989K.

I anticipate several swings back and forth over that $1M figure during the next several months but it was nice to finally hit it.

Share your FIRE Milestones

Of course, today being ex-div for several of my funds, I'm back down to $989K.

Congratulations on your achievement! Another millionaire in our midst!

But, I am confused why going ex-div decreases your worth. That should be a neutral event. Did they withhold taxes?

I updated the spreadsheet today, and all investments (IRAs, TSP, college savings, stocks, mutual funds) are now just a bit over $900,000.

Add in real estate equity (primary residence and rental property) and some saved cash, and the number is about $1.4M.

2013 has been a very good year, with both the stock market and local real estate value up significantly.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your achievement! Another millionaire in our midst!

But, I am confused why going ex-div decreases your worth. That should be a neutral event. Did they withhold taxes?

Thanks. The NAV of several of the funds (Wellington, Wellesley) dropped by the amount of the dividend and CG distributions the day before they were actually credited to the account. But as of Friday afternoon I was back up to 1.015M.

Sure to be a bumpy ride over the next six months on the way to my next milestone.

I always feel so good about our financial situation......until I spend an hour on this site! Then, feelings of inadequacy take over. But this is good, mind you,-great incentive to buckle down.

Hit a net worth milestone of $2.475M Christmas Eve. $1.76M investments/savings, $130K in daughters 529, $520K home with no mortgage, little bit of raw land here and there. I'm 46 and DW 43. Our goal through the years was always the hope of hanging it up for good at age 48. Not going to happen. Boy what I'd give for a chubby pension to augment our savings. Instead, we have but a puny one with no COLA from a former employer. Oh well. We have our health and happiness.....and so we press on.

Here's to a good 2014!!

Celebrating this week because (1) radically simplified all investment tracking this year by consolidating funds with VG, though not without them screwing the consolidation up monumentally (it took them 2 months and 4 huge mistakes to complete it), (2) surpassed a net worth stretch goal, and (3) verified I'm on track to FIRE end of 2015. :dance:

1.5M

Amid a very difficult December for non-financial reasons we hit $1.5M for the first time, all-in (including unmortgaged house @$420k). DW and I are both 36 and we have four kids so we still have quite a ways to go. Will keep doing our best to LBYM and apply the Boglehead approach to hopefully hit FIRE.... someday....

I hope all you ER readers achieve your financial goals for 2014!

Happy new year!

New Milestone

Hit 1.5 mil in retirement accounts on 12/27/2013. Total about 1.75 mil with added house and cash. Total exceeds original goal. Want original goal met excluding house value.

Goal was 4.5 more years. Now considering 2.5 years.

All portfolio holdings crossed over into $1M this week past. :)

I'm 52 next month and on target to retire in Feb '17. Significant realestate holdings, personal property and a Pension lump sum all in addition to portfolio and avail in '17, things are looking good....

Milestones: 2014 will be 30 years of investing primarily with The Vanguard Group. Though I did have an account with the defunct Drexel Burnham Group pre-Millikan. With VG I slowly came to the conclusion , after reading "a Random Walk Down Wall Street," and J. Bogle books, to cool off trying to guess which stocks were going to be another XEROX, IBM, Microsoft, and cut my risk by investing mostly in index funds. It's working out nicely for us too, to the point we continue to invest in them today.
The other milestone is I am beginning 19 years of FIRE since retiring . Still don't miss working, much, but still have dreams of the job, the people and my shortcomings while employed. Seems I always need a shave, or the suit has a spot, or the shoes are not shined and I took the wrong subway on this important day for this or that. I wonder if that is how old folks have strokes or coronaries in their sleep from nonsense dreams as described?:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I retire today. Pretty sure we are FI but hubby likely to work another five years. Jealous of how sure of figures others are. We have 12 properties including our own and putting a value on them would just be a guesstimate. We have £900000 in mortgages but properties should be worth £1600000-£1700000. Our savings are a paltry £35000 but I have an excellent index linked pension and a large lump sum due.

Over the past 12 months I paid just under $14,000 extra principal on the mortgage, while also maxing out my Roth. This actually put me $2,000 ahead of the mortgage prepayment schedule I had for the year.

It wasn't easy on a single income, but reaching the goal yesterday felt soooo sweet, and made all the bag lunches and leftovers worth it. Only 2.5 years left until the mortgage burning party! :dance: :clap: :dance:

Over the past 12 months I paid just under $14,000 extra principal on the mortgage, while also maxing out my Roth. This actually put me $2,000 ahead of the mortgage prepayment schedule I had for the year. It wasn't easy on a single income, but reaching the goal yesterday felt soooo sweet, and made all the bag lunches and leftovers worth it. Only 2.5 years left until the mortgage burning party! :dance: :clap: :dance:

That is awesome! *highfive*

That is awesome! *highfive*

Thanks! This forum is one of the few places I can share this information. I do have a couple of family members who "get it."

All of my coworkers make fun of my frugal ways - but no worries - they will be shocked when I am able to walk away in a few years and they'll still be working to pay for all their "toys." I call the mortgage fund my "freedom fund" and just keep my eyes on the prize! :greetings10:

All of my coworkers make fun of my frugal ways - but no worries - they will be shocked when I am able to walk away in a few years and they'll still be working to pay for all their "toys." I call the mortgage fund my "freedom fund" and just keep my eyes on the prize! :greetings10:
That is definitely one of those moments when "He / She who laughs last laughs best".

I saw an article a few weeks ago discussing the present day value of SS. If you added that number to your retirement savings, many of us would be in much better shape on our NW.

I am curious, how would you compute the present day value of your non-cola pensions, and SS? Any one want to take a shot at it?

That is definitely one of those moments when "He / She who laughs last laughs best".

Every now and then I have to check and make sure I'm not walking around with a big Cheshire cat grin plastered on my face at work. This only happens when I look at my mortgage spreadsheet. I should probably stop doing that - I truly don't believe in counting your chickens until they hatch. Plenty of time for grins when the final goal is achieved. :)

As of the end of 2013, our FIRE savings are over $555,000. Considering that $500K was the stretch goal for the year, we're very happy. :dance: Still on track to retire late 2019, though I do know that it's statistically likely that we'll see another recession before then. :whistle:

I am curious, how would you compute the present day value of your non-cola pensions, and SS? Any one want to take a shot at it?

Try getting annuity quotes on the value of your annual pension/SS. That's the best way I know to translate their value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom