Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #421
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
Net worth finally crested $2M today. My wife and I are both age 49, so feel good about hitting a major milestone earlier rather than later. We'll keep working several more years then take advantage of semi-retirement by age 55. Definitely a sense of satisfaction getting to this point!
Nice work, keep plugging away... You might be closer to RE than you think, take a serious look at your spending etc. Use FireCalc and i-orp to see if you can RE already without problem.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #422
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
Net worth finally crested $2M today. My wife and I are both age 49, so feel good about hitting a major milestone earlier rather than later. We'll keep working several more years then take advantage of semi-retirement by age 55. Definitely a sense of satisfaction getting to this point!
Congratulations! Quite an accomplishment as such a young age!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #423
Recycles dryer sheets

700k liquid reached. For me a milestone as this is 1/2 way to FIRE as far as I can tell. Hope to get to $1.4Mil in approx 6 years!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #424

^ congrats @accountingsucks. Funny I was reading a networth thread from 2007 where you'd posted something like 'wow with everyone making so much in salaries the rest of us will continue working forever' - now look at you! whatever you did paid off
Old 04-29-2014, 01:03 AM   #425
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
700k liquid reached. For me a milestone as this is 1/2 way to FIRE as far as I can tell. Hope to get to $1.4Mil in approx 6 years!
Congrats! Slow and steady!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #426
Recycles dryer sheets

$600K as of today. We're ~1/3 of the way there (in 3.5 years we finish the mortgage and the FIRE savings does the hockey stick).
Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #427
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
$600K as of today. We're ~1/3 of the way there (in 3.5 years we finish the mortgage and the FIRE savings does the hockey stick).

Congrats! It's tough being patient for the next milestone, isn't it?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #428

Hit a new month-end high yesterday, of $942K. I know I should be ecstatic, as that's just a stone's throw from $1M. And at the rate I'm adding to my 401k, plus dividends, even if everything stays flat, I'll hit $1M sometime in 2015. But, as I get closer, it just doesn't seem like the big deal it once was, when I first started this journey.

Part of it is that I've realized, for quite some time now, that $1M isn't enough for me to retire comfortably on. I think it would be, if I owned my home free and clear, but that won't be happening for awhile.

Then, there's inflation. When I finally recovered from my divorce and started saving again, I did set the goal of $1M, plus a paid off house. But, that was in late 1998. Adjusting for inflation, that would be about $1.4M today.

But, I'm sure $1M will still be something to be proud of. While it's not the end of the race, it's still a pretty major milestone! I might still shoot for a goal of $1M...just whatever $1M in 1998/1999 dollars would come out to, adjusted for inflation, by the time I get there!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #429
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Hit a new month-end high yesterday, of $942K. I know I should be ecstatic, as that's just a stone's throw from $1M. And at the rate I'm adding to my 401k, plus dividends, even if everything stays flat, I'll hit $1M sometime in 2015. But, as I get closer, it just doesn't seem like the big deal it once was, when I first started this journey.
Andre1969, I had the same experience as we built our savings. Early on, I thought I would do something special when we hit $1m...you know, like a sports car. Ha! The discipline that we learned along the way certainly made doing anything like that seem foolish. So we went out to our favorite pub to "celebrate" and spent $40 on drinks and dinner.

Congrats on your milestone, it is definitely something to be proud of! Certainly there will be more!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #430

Andre1969 - A million may not be worth what it used to be, but it's a good-sounding number.

A million.

Yep - still sounds good to me. Congratulations on getting withing spitting distance of it!

Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire44 View Post
Andre1969, I had the same experience as we built our savings. Early on, I thought I would do something special when we hit $1m...you know, like a sports car. Ha! The discipline that we learned along the way certainly made doing anything like that seem foolish. So we went out to our favorite pub to "celebrate" and spent $40 on drinks and dinner.

Congrats on your milestone, it is definitely something to be proud of! Certainly there will be more!
Thanks! It is interesting, how our priorities change over time. I remember back in 2004, when I was getting my condo ready to sell, I thought I would clear about $40,000 on it. Well, I figured I would go and splurge, and buy one of those Chrysler 300C Hemi's, which had just come out.

Well, by the time the condo finally sold, thanks to delays from the renovations, I cleared about $77,000. And ended up investing most of it.

It's strange to think that I was actually willing to spend $40K on a new car, ten years ago. Yet today, the thought of doing that makes me cringe!

When that condo did finally sell, the only thing I really splurged on, was buying better beer instead of the rotgut...but eventually fell back into my old ways. That condo sold at just the right time, too, as it happened one month after I made the final payment on my car. So suddenly, that was $347/mo I no longer had in car payments, and about $1100/mo the condo was no longer costing me. And once that money got invested, it put me up over the $200K mark. Felt really good at the time.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #432
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But, I'm sure $1M will still be something to be proud of. While it's not the end of the race, it's still a pretty major milestone!
It sure is!

The biotech sector has suffered a reversal since early March and the value of DW's stock options has plummeted. So our net worth is down 11% in April, a milestone of sorts I think.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #433
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
But, I'm sure $1M will still be something to be proud of. While it's not the end of the race, it's still a pretty major milestone! I might still shoot for a goal of $1M...just whatever $1M in 1998/1999 dollars would come out to, adjusted for inflation, by the time I get there!
The first million is indeed something to be proud of.

You will find that the first million is the toughest million - from there on your assets are working for you along the lines of 'it takes money to make money'.

Congratulations and look forward to your reports of the second and third million dollar milestones.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #434

Congrats! I'd love to be anywhere near $1M. I'm only at $330k as of yesterday
Old 05-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Congrats! I'd love to be anywhere near $1M. I'm only at $330k as of yesterday
330K is a whole lot more than most people have. You'll get there. The important part is that you have developed a saving habit, which is obviously yielding some very pleasant results

Old 05-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #436
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't think I'll make it that far, unless you include the PV of SS and my scrawny pension... :-(

But the numbers work, which works for me!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
330K is a whole lot more than most people have. You'll get there. The important part is that you have developed a saving habit, which is obviously yielding some very pleasant results
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement! After my expensive divorce a few years ago I was emotionally disinterested in everything until late last year when I joined the community here. That inspired me to become interested in my finances once again. Since then (8mos) my portfolio is up $90k so I'm happy, I just wish I didn't lose what I did including the precious time over the past few years. But c'est la vie
Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Once you get into those larger numbers, things can take off fast, too. For instance, I just looked at my spreadsheet, and I first topped the $330,000 barrier in November 2005. And now, 8 1/2 years later, I'm at $945,000 (went up $3K today).

FWIW, I was also at around $330K in November, 2008, but wasn't nearly as happy about it by that time. What the market giveth, the market can taketh away!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #439
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My milestones are continuing to reduce our expenses. This past month we did our own taxes, bought bar soap by the case direct from the factory, stockpiled dish detergent on sale, changed cell phone plans, price shopped more on car repairs and lowered our electric bill to 1/3 of what it used to be. In total we lowered our annual recurring expenses another $3 - 4K a year, or up to $200K over a 50 year retirement.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #440
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally hit seven figures on the 401K: Current Balance $1,000,511.30. Beat my stretch goal of getting to $1 mil before the end of my 50th year (currently 50 years, 4 months)

Pretty proud of myself, considering the wife does not work and I am just a lower level corporate slug
Closed Thread