Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's milestone is the last day that I NEED to come to work. I have enough vacation that I could take the next 5 weeks off, until my official retirement on Aug 1st. I have been working 4 day weeks for the last month and the schedule and workload is actually quite nice, so I think I will stay that course and take some extra $$$ in my final check. This process is becoming rather surreal :dance:

Sounds awesome cinman! Congrats! It's nice they'll pay you out the vacation time if you don't use it.

Updated my financial spreadsheet for the quarter. We just crossed the $2M mark ($2.1M to be more specific) in NW and $1.75M in investment assets. I told DW that we are now technically multimillionaires, so we celebrated by eating little caesar's pizza with the kids.

Me,39 and DW 35 passed $550k net worth on 06/15/2014. Our goal is to hit $600k by the end of the year. No debt, ZERO, live in an apt so no equity accounted in that as it is all retirement funds and emergency savings. 401ks, Roths, 457, house savings and a couple of other accts. Ultimate goal is to say we are millionaires by the time I am 44 and she is 40. All from a person born of nothing and working on a bachelor's degree. (Which is reimbursed of course by my work!)

WOW, this feels good! All from a couple that has never earned more than around 65k a piece and that pay is fairly recent. Oh, and our savings rate hovers at 50%...I am so fired up.

You guys/gals are an inspiration.

Last edited:
ReadyAimFired: That's pretty impressive. You deserve a big pat on the back.

Toocold: That's gotta be a great feeling. "Multimillionnaire" has a great ring to it. Hoping to be there soon, too. Congrats!

Thank you WannabeRetired. We work hard and sacrifice in order to see the bigger picture. I never believed that I could retire so early especially when I started in the military making $800 a month!

Me,39 and DW 35 passed $550k net worth on 06/15/2014. Our goal is to hit $600k by the end of the year. No debt, ZERO, live in an apt so no equity accounted in that as it is all retirement funds and emergency savings. 401ks, Roths, 457, house savings and a couple of other accts. Ultimate goal is to say we are millionaires by the time I am 44 and she is 40. All from a person born of nothing and working on a bachelor's degree. (Which is reimbursed of course by my work!)

WOW, this feels good! All from a couple that has never earned more than around 65k a piece and that pay is fairly recent. Oh, and our savings rate hovers at 50%...I am so fired up.

You guys/gals are an inspiration.

Very impressive savings rate. That is great you have a job paying for college.

All from a person born of nothing and working on a bachelor's degree. (Which is reimbursed of course by my work!)

Excellent. You are definitely on track. This, from a person who earned an associates, bachelors, and eventually a masters while working full time, and fully utilized employer's tuition reimbursement program. I never did understand the concept of "student loans" - working summer jobs, or gaining an education while working, yes; now that I know about!

With your self discipline, I believe you will find little standing in your way of accumulating savings and increasing NW rapidly.

Share your FIRE Milestones

Well, nice to know you all still enjoy the Bay Area. DW and I just semi-FIREd, and will be moving to Marin around the end of this year/beginning of next year. :dance:

Save a spot for us!

Between the people living in Marin, those thinking of moving here, those closeby in Sonoma, we will have enough people for an ER happy hour soon ;)

Countdown to ER: 45 workdays, 80 calendar days. Major travel begins next week...Canadian Rockies and Alaska here we come.

I cannot believe this 30 year run (work) is almost done!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Between the people living in Marin, those thinking of moving here, those closeby in Sonoma, we will have enough people for an ER happy hour soon ;)

Skip happy hour...go tour some wineries. I got drunk at Korbel winery in 1980. Silly them, I was only 20...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Updated at today for the half year mark. 2.8 in accounts and paid off condo and cars. Hoping for ten more months for ER though as my dear DW mentioned today we may want another 100K to move to a single level house at some point. Hopefully the market will hang in there and still be able to retire next spring.

Hit a couple milestones this week. On Wednesday, the balance in my Scottrade online brokerage topped $300K for the first time. And as of yesterday, total investable assets crept just over the $980K mark.

Here's an update from my June 6 post. Total investable assets finished out the month at $985K. It would be better than that, but I also paid some pretty big bills. Scottrade account ended the month just shy of $307,000. Another milestone is that June ended up being the first month ever, that I got over $2000 in dividends from that Scottrade account. I grossly under-estimated that one...turns out it was closer to $3000! Around $2800-2900 I think.

So at this point, all I need is a ~1.5% gain, and I'm a millionaire! :dance: As much as I've moped in the past about it being no great shakes, I'll admit, it is a good feeling...

Here's an update from my June 6 post. Total investable assets finished out the month at $985K. It would be better than that, but I also paid some pretty big bills. Scottrade account ended the month just shy of $307,000. Another milestone is that June ended up being the first month ever, that I got over $2000 in dividends from that Scottrade account. I grossly under-estimated that one...turns out it was closer to $3000! Around $2800-2900 I think.

So at this point, all I need is a ~1.5% gain, and I'm a millionaire! :dance: As much as I've moped in the past about it being no great shakes, I'll admit, it is a good feeling...

I hope you get thoswe last few thousand dollars in investable assets more quickly than I did. I was at about $976k in late 2007 but never hit the $1M mark around that time because the markets began crashing. It took me until early 2010 to finally get to the $1M mark, 2 1/2 years later, after I ERed.

I hope you get thoswe last few thousand dollars in investable assets more quickly than I did. I was at about $976k in late 2007 but never hit the $1M mark around that time because the markets began crashing. It took me until early 2010 to finally get to the $1M mark, 2 1/2 years later, after I ERed.

Thanks, me too! And yeah, I remember that timeframe well. Topped out in October, 2007, at $422,013. Dunno why that number sticks in my head so well...maybe because it stood for so long as my record? It started dropping after that, and by the end of 2007 I think I was down to around $407K, and then in 2008 dropped into the $300K range. I did manage to get back up to around $415K, maybe in May or June? But then the slide started...slow at first, but then before I knew it, the damage was done.

I think it was November 2009 that I hit a new high, around $436K. I bounced back relatively quickly, I think, because of all the additional investing, but I was still technically at a loss compared to October 2007. I don't think I was fully recovered (October peak + additional investments) until sometime in early 2010.

My $1M by 40 Milestone

Today, I crossed $1M in cash/bonds/stock. The house is paid-off too. Feels pretty good to have done this by age 40. Shooting for $2M by age 50. :)

Today, I crossed $1M in cash/bonds/stock. The house is paid-off too. Feels pretty good to have done this by age 40. Shooting for $2M by age 50. :)

Congratulations! I'm hoping to achieve the first milestone by 40 as well. Will not pay off my mortgage before then however

Congratulations! I'm hoping to achieve the first milestone by 40 as well. Will not pay off my mortgage before then however

I remember back when I was 29, which was 1999, the market was doing really well. I think I saw a 40% return that year. I jokingly said to one or two of my friends that if it kept up at that rate, I'd be filthy rich and retired by the time I was 40. Of course, I knew the market couldn't sustain 40% year after year, but it was nice to fantasize.

Anyway, sure enough, when 40 came around, one of my friends, in a loving sort of way, threw my old comment back at me, about how here I am, 40 and still working! I guess I didn't do too bad though...I think I had hit around $575K by my 40th birthday. Mortgage was nowhere near paid off, though.

Anyway, as of last nite's close, I came in at around $991,000. So I could see $1M within the next couple days. I just hope it's not on July 7, because that's the fateful anniversary of the day I married my ex wife! Although, maybe it would be good to have a happy event associated with that date, to block out the bad. :cool:

Crossed liquid NW of $4MM this AM ;)

I know with market moves it will go back down/fluctuate .. but it was a happy morning checking my trading screens today. Even DW said she was impressed.

Been a long time coming and getting closer to the finish line.

Crossed liquid NW of $4MM this AM ;)

I know with market moves it will go back down/fluctuate .. but it was a happy morning checking my trading screens today. Even DW said she was impressed.

Been a long time coming and getting closer to the finish line.

Congrats!:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom