Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mailed DW's formal, contractually-mandated retirement notice via certified to corporate officers and counsel yesterday (informal notice/discussions and hunt for replacement began more than 18 months ago). Termination/retirement date of 7/31/17. Starting to feel real.

After Wednesday's stock run up our savings + investments hit $2 million, so DW and I now really feel like multi-millionaires :). So we celebrated with an extravagant dinner at the most expensive restaurant we could find... NOT! Actually, we just went to the local Asian buffet and enjoyed a large but economical meal.

We don't expect it to stay consistently at this level, but it is a nice feeling for a day, the first time reaching this goal. :LOL:

After Wednesday's stock run up our savings + investments hit $2 million, so DW and I now really feel like multi-millionaires :). So we celebrated with an extravagant dinner at the most expensive restaurant we could find... NOT! Actually, we just went to the local Asian buffet and enjoyed a large but economical meal.

We don't expect it to stay consistently at this level, but it is a nice feeling for a day, the first time reaching this goal. :LOL:

WOW!
Cool Jollystomper

401 broke 750,000 after yesterday's craziness and I would have never imagined I'd get to that level when I found this great community.
Gonna split a $6 footlong with the CO for lunch to celebrate

I finally broke through the $1.4M mark in the last day or so. I first broke the $1.3M mark in May of 2014. I bounced above and below $1.3M a few times in late 2015 and early 2016 before the recent run-up of the stock market overcame the downturn in the bond market enough to push me to $1.401M in the last say or so.

It would be nice to be above $1.4M when 2017 begins in a few weeks.

Onward and upward!

This week the total for my savings and investments hit $700k, and adding in the total of my GF who has gone over $800k, we now have over $1.5M. She can start a pension in two years at about $30k/yr. If it weren't for golden handcuffs at that point I would FIRE with her, but I will need an extra 4 years for my pension to kick in.

I am on pace for $2M investment portfolio (1.8M now) in 1 year if I continue to work.

I finally reached $2M in investment portfolio, including cash. It was reached 10 months later than I hoped/expected. I didn't continue to work but I retired 12 months ago which delayed my reaching this milestone. Better late than never, though. :)

The next milestone will be reaching $3M net worth including my house equity. That could take years. Until then, I bid bye to this thread.

Today I am FIREd! Finished moving from our home of 27 years into the lake house last month, which is now our retirement home. Closed on the sale of that house 2 weeks ago. And yesterday was my last day of w*rk! :dance: I've been fortunate enough to have gone through a phased retirement, where I w*rked 1/2 time for full time pay as a knowledge transfer mechanism. When people asked yesterday if I would miss it, I simply stated that at least for the foreseeable future, I'm already so busy with my new life that I don't have time to miss it! ;)

Some credit for being able to ER goes to the great folks on this forum, where I learned enough to pull the trigger years earlier than initially planned. Thanks all! :D

Congratulations! Thanks for your courageous example.

I finally reached $2M in investment portfolio, including cash. It was reached 10 months later than I hoped/expected. I didn't continue to work but I retired 12 months ago which delayed my reaching this milestone. Better late than never, though. :)

The next milestone will be reaching $3M net worth including my house equity. That could take years. Until then, I bid bye to this thread.

Congrats on hitting a significant milestone, robnplunder! DW and I are closing in on similar investment and NW milestones - will broadcast once we can safely claim them. In the meantime, back to work we go!

Just turned 54 this week and am still working. Net worth surpassed 1.5M this year. 650K in retirement accounts, 150K in cash, 150K in primary home equity, 150K in vacation home equity ( paid off ), 445K equity in four rental properties. I can't wait to join the rest of you retired folks. I find it hard to stay motivated at work anymore. I think I'm getting worn out. Happy holidays to everyone.

Liquidating some, until today illiquid, holdings pushed us over $800,000 in NW. Celebratory hoagies for everyone!

Stretch goal of $1mil for 2017.

Made the final payment on the lake house today. Time to start looking for new toys.

Net worth finally crested $2M today. My wife and I are both age 49, so feel good about hitting a major milestone earlier rather than later. We'll keep working several more years then take advantage of semi-retirement by age 55. Definitely a sense of satisfaction getting to this point!

As of this morning, net worth cleared $3M. We've had some solid income and reasonable living expenses in recent years that helped propel us forward - it only took from April 2014 to December 2016 to go from $2M to $3M. We will likely downshift our careers before hitting $4M as we figure out how much is "enough."

Thanks to everyone here for your inspiration and insight!

FI, sort of

DW and I met with her FA yesterday. He ran our numbers and said one of us could retire today. :dance:

I won't ever miss w*rking, but DW likes her j*b. Her health insurance would cover me (and our two youngest DDs for a few more years). So it would be painless for me to just turn in my notice.

But... it isn't just about me. I want us to do things together. In TMY we could both go out at the same time. I can do TMY knowing that if I encounter three bad days or an early out package I can bail. So I'll still be heading to the sweatshop next week, although with an extra spring in my step.

DW and I met with her FA yesterday. He ran our numbers and said one of us could retire today. :dance:

I won't ever miss w*rking, but DW likes her j*b. Her health insurance would cover me (and our two youngest DDs for a few more years). So it would be painless for me to just turn in my notice.

But... it isn't just about me. I want us to do things together. In TMY we could both go out at the same time. I can do TMY knowing that if I encounter three bad days or an early out package I can bail. So I'll still be heading to the sweatshop next week, although with an extra spring in my step.

Well done! Cheer!

As of the end of 2016, my milestones are set - I've completed my FIRE plan:

The take-away is "Last day @ w*rk: 4/11/2017. FIRE date: 7/5/2017."

There is a lot of complexity behind these numbers, but moving parts include draining the vacation / sick-leave bank, maxing 401k for 2017, using all possible benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, etc.), 2017 back-door ROTH contributions, flexible financial plan completed and verified by two separate experts (Yr 1 SWR: 2.75%, Yr 2-3 SWR: <=3%, Yr 4+ SWR: <=3.5%) and, last but not least, a complete plan for what to retire TO.

132 calendar days to go...

Last edited:
400k NW now after reaching 300k towards the beginning of the year. Next stop 500k! Still a long way to go but will be happy to cross 500k and hopefully the 2nd 500k will be a little easier to reach 1mm.

As of this morning, net worth cleared $3M. We've had some solid income and reasonable living expenses in recent years that helped propel us forward - it only took from April 2014 to December 2016 to go from $2M to $3M. We will likely downshift our careers before hitting $4M as we figure out how much is "enough."

Thanks to everyone here for your inspiration and insight!
Wow - Very impressive return.

Congrats! (From a former fellow-Virginian)

Looks like you can update your FIRE date from 2023 eh? :D

Looks like you can update your FIRE date from 2023 eh? :D

Done! As the date approaches I need to remember all the details Senator described that he did in his closing months. He listed things like getting the full 401k match, holiday pay, etc.

It's gonna be savory. I wonder, will the next ~2 years be the shortest or longest of my life? :confused:

It's gonna be savory. I wonder, will the next ~2 years be the shortest or longest of my life? :confused:

I think that depends on your view toward your j*b. If you generally enjoy it, I think the time will fly by; and you'll look back on it in 2yrs & wonder where the time went. If, on the other hand, you don't enjoy your j*b, then it will be 2yrs of starts & fits, with the "fits" segments being extremely frustrating and dragging on; you'll get into a 'counting the days' mode. I'm hoping you experience the former. Best of luck to you.

Hit 3.2MM net worth this year and I am ready to pull the plug, now @60 ...... just have to convince DW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom