Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

8 Figures!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #1521
Full time employment: Posting here.

8 Figures!

This is the only place where this type of self-congratulatory thing flies, so thanks for giving me a chance to share the exuberance that I don't discuss with people in the real world. A few months ago, just before my 45th birthday, the spreadsheet showed that I reached the eight figure club of assets with most of it being after-tax, fairly liquid and market-valued (no start up stocks or anything...just index funds, private loans, CDs and Zillow-able real estate.) Unfortunately, a chunk of my savings is living with my ex (and is legally hers) and there's a chunk put away for charity and for kids' education, so what's left for me is under 8 figures. That said, given that I completely funded the ex's assets and still help her manage and grow it, I thought it was ok to pat myself on the back.

(For those who will ask, I made the 8 figure discovery when the ex asked me to log into her accounts, which I gave her in the divorce, and help manage them. It was at this point that I realized that my own work effort, savings and investments led to over $10 MM of current assets, even though they're not all mine anymore.)

Now back to the life of an unassuming, t-shirt wearing, Walmart-shopping, boring-car-driving normal dude.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #1522
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
This is the only place where this type of self-congratulatory thing flies, so thanks for giving me a chance to share the exuberance that I don't discuss with people in the real world. A few months ago, just before my 45th birthday, the spreadsheet showed that I reached the eight figure club of assets with most of it being after-tax, fairly liquid and market-valued (no start up stocks or anything...just index funds, private loans, CDs and Zillow-able real estate.) Unfortunately, a chunk of my savings is living with my ex (and is legally hers) and there's a chunk put away for charity and for kids' education, so what's left for me is under 8 figures. That said, given that I completely funded the ex's assets and still help her manage and grow it, I thought it was ok to pat myself on the back.

(For those who will ask, I made the 8 figure discovery when the ex asked me to log into her accounts, which I gave her in the divorce, and help manage them. It was at this point that I realized that my own work effort, savings and investments led to over $10 MM of current assets, even though they're not all mine anymore.)

Now back to the life of an unassuming, t-shirt wearing, Walmart-shopping, boring-car-driving normal dude.
Congrats!

(on the achievement, not giving the ex a bunch of it in the divorce )
Old 07-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #1523
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Yes, congratulations! And +1 on this being a "safe place" to talk about such things.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #1524

Quote:
Congrats! A very noteworthy milestone.

Quote:
Is this really how you view it?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #1525
Recycles dryer sheets

I hit $950K investments and almost $1.1MM TNW. I'm on track to pay off my 30 yr mortgage in about 8 more years, which will make that a 12 yr total time to payoff.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #1526

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMoss View Post
I hit $950K investments and almost $1.1MM TNW. I'm on track to pay off my 30 yr mortgage in about 8 more years, which will make that a 12 yr total time to payoff.
Nice! And from your other posts, it sounds like you are in a position to launch if/when necessary/desired. Your ratio of assets to needs sounds strong.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #1527

Just made my last Court filing.

To do list at work is dwindling; cleaning my office and inbox out. Tick Tick.... (less than 30 hours to go.)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #1528
Confused about dryer sheets

This is my first post and next to last day of work. I have been lurking around on many threads and have learned a ton. I am not really RE, I'm 62 but feel 24 and don't plan to start SS until 66 or maybe 70, if the market cooperates. I hit $1.1M IA this week and am ready for FREEDOM!
Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #1529

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhin View Post
This is my first post and next to last day of work. I have been lurking around on many threads and have learned a ton. I am not really RE, I'm 62 but feel 24 and don't plan to start SS until 66 or maybe 70, if the market cooperates. I hit $1.1M IA this week and am ready for FREEDOM!
Congratulations and welcome!
Old 07-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #1530
Dryer sheet aficionado

Had to post here as I've finally exceeded the $250K mark in my 401K. So nice to see this milestone achieved as I originally hit the $100K back in Oct. 2013
$2 million
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #1531
Dryer sheet aficionado

$2 million

53 here and Cash and Securities outside the shares in my business just crossed $2MM in the last month... Funny how we didn't care when bouncing around 1.XMM - but I hate seeing the number drop to 1.988!

I didn't start saving early enough. Really pushing my kids - they've all started Roth's and since I'm funding their college, they are working and funding Roth's $2000.00 each year while in school. They are learning a bit about investment choices and compounding over 40 years... Feeling blessed that they will be OK.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:20 AM   #1532
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Months.in.Wyoming View Post
53 here and Cash and Securities outside the shares in my business just crossed $2MM in the last month... Funny how we didn't care when bouncing around 1.XMM - but I hate seeing the number drop to 1.988!

I didn't start saving early enough. Really pushing my kids - they've all started Roth's and since I'm funding their college, they are working and funding Roth's $2000.00 each year while in school. They are learning a bit about investment choices and compounding over 40 years... Feeling blessed that they will be OK.
You are certainly doing well and congratulations. I like hearing about how your children are using Roth's and learning to save early.
I am trying to instill this into my children as I don't want them to end up where I am on savings but to have so much more saved with time and compounding interest on their side.

I am still optimistic on my savings outlook and will need to just keep putting as much aside as I am able - looking forward to hitting the next $500K milestone
Old 07-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #1533
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is minor, compared to some of the big numbers above but --

We paid off the last credit card this month. As a runup to FIRE next year, we've now paid off all CCs, cars, boat and house. I think I will get all the titles out of the safe and wallow around on them, like Scrooge McDuck does with his money.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post

We paid off the last credit card this month. As a runup to FIRE next year, we've now paid off all CCs, cars, boat and house. I think I will get all the titles out of the safe and wallow around on them, like Scrooge McDuck does with his money.
Congrats on your accomplishment!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #1535
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

That's awesome! And to have the house paid off is a huge accomplishment. Congratulations.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #1536

Quote:

Do not compare yourself to others, everyone's circumstances are different. You are going to be "financially independent and retire early" next year, what's not to celebrate. Go wallow in those titles!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #1537

You know you are ready for FIRE when you are marking every quarter mile milestone .... I wrote last month that I had reached my significant 25 year anniversary. *Today* will be my official retirement day -- in a year, lol! And I actually will leave the job a few days before. This is what i'm calling "Zero Year" - the year after I can retire, but before I will retire. I have lots of goals for this Zero year. Trying to learn various new tech things, for example. I won't have my institution's IT department to back me up next year!
Pullin, if you haven't entered yourself into the Class of 2018 yet, go here to put in your month :-) http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...8-a-64512.html
Old 08-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #1538
Full time employment: Posting here.

Im 34...wife just turned 33. We added up all our account yesterday and we were at $765k (not including house.) Still have $120k, 15 year, 0% loan...no other debt. Cant complain! Hoping to push the million mark within next 3 years.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #1539

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Im 34...wife just turned 33. We added up all our account yesterday and we were at $765k (not including house.) Still have $120k, 15 year, 0% loan...no other debt. Cant complain! Hoping to push the million mark within next 3 years.
Very impressive for such a young age! No matter how much money one makes (well, I guess there is a certain point where it doesn't matter!), the other half of the equation is spending less, so congratulations!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #1540

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhin View Post
But when do you sell?
Closed Thread