Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #1861
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Sounds like you’ve mapped out a great plan. Why wait until 2030 to test drive ER budget? Any savings from doing it earlier could go into your broker account. Our experience has been that having a substantial portion of our NW in an after-tax broker account significantly improves our flexibility in early FIRE; rebalancing, zero/low tax LTCG capture, Roth conversions, etc.
Oh we are pinching every penny here. The plan is to ER when the kids fledge the nest...so im assuming our ER budget will drop just by nature of empty nest. Still paying daycare and a mortgage...when that frees up we will have many more options for brokerage. Always more room for improvement.. A pemny saved is a penny earned
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #1862
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
A penny saved is a penny earned
Actually... A penny saved is about 1.3 pennies earned (before taxes)!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:28 AM   #1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Oh we are pinching every penny here. The plan is to ER when the kids fledge the nest...so im assuming our ER budget will drop just by nature of empty nest. Still paying daycare and a mortgage...when that frees up we will have many more options for brokerage. Always more room for improvement.. A pemny saved is a penny earned
I agree - as soon as you can build that brokerage account. It is critical to have a non-MAGI source of income if you plan to purchase healthcare on the marketplace. Many do not plan well for this.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #1864
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I agree - as soon as you can build that brokerage account. It is critical to have a non-MAGI source of income if you plan to purchase healthcare on the marketplace. Many do not plan well for this.
Got lucky myself. Didn't specifically plan for age 57 retirement nor use of the ACA, but built up a decent size taxable account not involving stocks more out of conservatism.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #1865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Got lucky myself. Didn't specifically plan for age 57 retirement nor use of the ACA, but built up a decent size taxable account not involving stocks more out of conservatism.
A bit of luck here, too. The only reason we started a taxable account was because we hoped to retire before 59.5 and knew we needed money we could access that wasn't in retirement accounts. I only thought about that due to being on this board (thank heavens for this board!). We had no idea the ACA would even exist back at the time we opened the account, which was around 2005.

Even with having the taxable account, we still are going to have to manage it VERY carefully to make sure we have enough MAGI $ to last us 14 years until I hit Medicare. I wish we had more in it!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 03-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #1866
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanurse View Post
Funny this came up, last week we reached $100k.

I was just thinking of what my next milestone is. Maybe $250k.

What's funny is that as we accumulate, I keep thinking its just not that much. When I started saving I remember thinking, "man, if I had 100k. Wow... ". Back then it seemed like a lot.

I wonder if when we reach $1M... will it also be "not enough" in my mind. Anyway didn't mean to hijack the topic, so back to it...

$100k. Woohoo

Curious, six years after your post where are you now? You must be in good shape. I share your feeling, no amount ever feels like enough. I have $1.5M and she has $600K and we are still nervous about having enough.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #1867
Recycles dryer sheets

I am excited to post that DW and I have reached the 2 comma club -- Whoop! This is from a mix of cash, taxable, Roth, and TSP/401K accounts. We are still targeting retirement in 2028, and so far we are ahead of our savings goals to meet that that date.

I joined this site in early 2017, and this thread helped me think a bit deeper about what we were trying to accomplish, our "number", and our strategy for getting there. It also helped me break down the final "number" into smaller, bite sized goals that didn't seem quite so daunting. A few months later we reached a mini-milestone of $750K. A year and a half later we've reach $1M. Thanks to everyone here who has posted and helped inspire us.

$1.5M here we come!
Old 03-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #1868

NW is at an all-time high of $2.79 million. Trying to hit $3 million by Dec. 2019 when DH hits 50.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #1869
Dryer sheet wannabe

I ran FIREcalc for the first time in a long time of saving aggressively, and got 100% for the first time! This was using a very tight budget, but it felt really good at a time when my j*b is discussing need for layoffs in my department. It feels good to know that I am currently working for "gravy" in the future budget and not for necessity!
Old 03-14-2019, 05:27 AM   #1870
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
NW is at an all-time high of $2.79 million. Trying to hit $3 million by Dec. 2019 when DH hits 50.
That's fantastic, congrats! We are currently at $2.1M not including a debt free house (~$700k). I plan to retire Dec 2019 as well at age 59, and DW will work a few years longer (unlike me, she loves her job).
Old 03-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #1871
Recycles dryer sheets

Wife and I are both 37. Shooting for an active duty military pension in 7 years, should be an O5 pension. With that said, we just crossed $775k in net worth which includes equity in 3 homes and retirement /taxable accounts.
RE equity- a solid 375k
Retirement/taxable accounts- $400k

Very proud of our progress!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #1872
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
Wife and I are both 37. Shooting for an active duty military pension in 7 years, should be an O5 pension. With that said, we just crossed $775k in net worth which includes equity in 3 homes and retirement /taxable accounts.

RE equity- a solid 375k

Retirement/taxable accounts- $400k

Very proud of our progress!

Congrats! We’re right behind you
Hope you get to pin on O-5 soon!
Old 03-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #1873
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDub View Post
Congrats! We’re right behind you
Hope you get to pin on O-5 soon!

Congrats......so young and doing so well. Retired Navy CMC with close to 1MM. Thank you sooooo much for your service[emoji106]
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #1874
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hit the button and filed for my ss. Feels weird.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #1875
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassnco View Post
I ran FIREcalc for the first time in a long time of saving aggressively, and got 100% for the first time! This was using a very tight budget, but it felt really good at a time when my j*b is discussing need for layoffs in my department. It feels good to know that I am currently working for "gravy" in the future budget and not for necessity!
This is excellent! Congrats!
Old 03-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #1876
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
Congrats......so young and doing so well. Retired Navy CMC with close to 1MM. Thank you sooooo much for your service[emoji106]

Hey thanks. Same to you! [emoji631]
Old 03-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #1877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabowest View Post
That's fantastic, congrats! We are currently at $2.1M not including a debt free house (~$700k). I plan to retire Dec 2019 as well at age 59, and DW will work a few years longer (unlike me, she loves her job).

Thanks! DH will probably continue to work past 50 since he enjoys his job (most days anyway). Since we’re now debt free, previous mortgage payments are now being used to top up the nest egg.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #1878
Dryer sheet aficionado

Milestones for DW and me (50 & 48) as of this month

$2.7M Investable Assets
$3.5M Net Worth (includes house)

If I only had a solid plan for Health Insurance, we'd be pulling the plug...
Old 03-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #1879
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefire View Post
Milestones for DW and me (50 & 48) as of this month

$2.7M Investable Assets
$3.5M Net Worth (includes house)

If I only had a solid plan for Health Insurance, we'd be pulling the plug...
How much in taxable and can you manage taxable income for ACA tax subsidies?
Old 03-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #1880
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
How much in taxable and can you manage taxable income for ACA tax subsidies?
The 2.7 is about 50/50 split taxable and tax deferred.

The bigger issue is that we have 2, early twenties, adult kids that are still on our insurance and one of them is on an expensive medication that may or may not be covered on ACA. I'm not even sure how to figure that out.

So for now its employer group health and maybe move to COBRA if we decide to pull the cord, but COBRA only gets us 18 months.
Closed Thread