Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Share your Worst Primerica Story.............
Old 10-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Share your Worst Primerica Story.............

I have quite a doozy, but wondering if anyone else has any experience with them?

BTW, if THIS is where you gained your opinion of financial advisors, that's a shame........because pretty much NONE of them are licensed to sell funds or securities, even though they peddle them.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Share your Worst Primerica Story.............
Old 10-30-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I guess no takers...........so a lot of people got advice from them..............

Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like these multisyllabicatized (yeah, look that one up)
company names. Primerica, Amerivest, Comerica, etc.
Bet they all spent a
fortune on consultants, etc. before they settled on their new moniker.

JG
Old 10-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
I like these multisyllabicatized (yeah, look that one up)
company names. Primerica, Amerivest, Comerica, etc.
Bet they all spent a
fortune on consultants, etc. before they settled on their new moniker.

JG
How about Ameriprise? I heard it's Greek for: give us your money...........

Old 10-30-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If you've met a Primerica or Ameriprise "advisor" you've met a typical advisor.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
If you've met a Primerica or Ameriprise "advisor" you've met a typical advisor.
Good thing I'm not typical..................

Old 10-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

http://www.amexsux.com
The site is about Ameriprise financial advisors. Pretty entertaining reading, at times.
bdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk
http://www.amexsux.com
The site is about Ameriprise financial advisors. Pretty entertaining reading, at times.
Now that's funny............

Old 10-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
I have quite a doozy, but wondering if anyone else has any experience with them?

I've got one going on right now. I'm trying to help one of our firms' clients move an IRA from Primerica to Schwab.

This is a 6 figure account, and Primerica does not send monthly or even quarterly statements. Well, if you know about the transfer or ACATS process, you need a statement of value less than 90 days old. The client is not able to move their account because of their lack of statements. They only give them in January (even though the clients claims not to have seen one for last year)

talk about dirty

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:13 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I guess no takers...........so a lot of people got advice from them..............
How can I share a "worst Pimerica story" when I never saw one? (Full disclaimer a friend of mine became a Primerica advisor after he moved cross country away from me. I have never had dealings with him in that capacity.)

I suspect most people on this forum are either hardcore financial DIY types or went with a more reputable firm after doing their research.
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9

I've got one going on right now. I'm trying to help one of our firms' clients move an IRA from Primerica to Schwab.

This is a 6 figure account, and Primerica does not send monthly or even quarterly statements. Well, if you know about the transfer or ACATS process, you need a statement of value less than 90 days old. The client is not able to move their account because of their lack of statements. They only give them in January (even though the clients claims not to have seen one for last year)

talk about dirty
I am sure you tried this, but if the client submits a request in writing (may have to be medallion signature guaranteed or notarized) for a statement, Primerica HAS to give them one. Their policy of yearly statements is crap............

Old 10-30-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Primerica................the very name pisses me off...............

One of my mom's friends went with them. They convinced her to sell out her Fidelity account, even though it was making good money.

The rep took over $400,000 and put it into a Traveler's VA with high expenses and crappy funds.

When I called Travelers, I found out:

1)It had a NINE-YEAR surrender charge

2)It was a non-1035 contract

3)They only sent statements twice a year

The crux of the matter was................she was only 52 years old, and NEEDED money from this account every year for medical expenses..............

Old 10-30-2006, 10:01 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Primerica?

Oh, you mean A.L. Williams?

Now that guy could coach! :

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
I am sure you tried this, but if the client submits a request in writing (may have to be medallion signature guaranteed or notarized) for a statement, Primerica HAS to give them one. Their policy of yearly statements is crap............
Tried it,

They said that "the law" only requires them to give them once a year at their discretion.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tried it,

They said that "the law" only requires them to give them once a year at their discretion.
I've heard that BS befor myself, but was able to get it done with a client request. I don't think Primerica or Travelers can ignore a written request...........there must be some securities laws that protect the client's rights??

Maybe a call to the SEC would clear things up...........

Old 10-30-2006, 12:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Well, if you know about the transfer or ACATS process, you need a statement of value less than 90 days old. The client is not able to move their account because of their lack of statements. They only give them in January (even though the clients claims not to have seen one for last year)
I've transfered accounts without sending a copy of the statement to the receiving firm before...is this an official SEC rule that you need a copy of the statement?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
I've transfered accounts without sending a copy of the statement to the receiving firm before...is this an official SEC rule that you need a copy of the statement?
Depends on your clearing firm. Most, like NFS, need such info.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
Our clearning firm is Schwab and that is their requirement.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Don't know how I missed this........I think I suggested OP to start this thread.

Primerica
When I was in college back in the '70's, I was a summer intern for the American Can Co in Baltimore.....yep...they make tin cans. They were maybe 2nd or 3rd largest can mfr in the US at the time, but I guess they figured this business was too funky so they transformed themselves into a financial services company (a hellova switch) by buying out AL Williams and renamed themselves Primerica.

Somehow I came to the attention of thier local reps in the 80's, shortly after I figured out what a mutual fund was. I went to a few recruiting sessions, and I was somewhat intrigued, but I had some problems with thier business model. They kept recruiting me with all the zeal of an Amway distributor until I finally told them to bug off.

Thier business model was "buy term and invest the difference". They sold 8.5% loaded mutual funds and they encouraged doing it door to door. At the time, most mutual funds were charging 3-5% load (before the no-load revolution). The door-to- door bit reminded me of the insurance salesman that would come to my grandparents house every month or so to "collect" a few dollars at a time. One good thing about it was the minimum investment was only $25, so most anyone could afford that (the good part). The fund performance was "ok" as I recall. They never really revealed the strategy of convincing people to sell thier whole life policies, buy term and invest the savings in thier high load funds, but it was just below the surface. I also don't recall them having the term life policies for sale, but I bet they at least do referrals. They finally left me alone when I told them I did not think I could sell thier funds to my friends, neighbors and relatives and still sleep at night due to the high load.

To me they were such a quasi-legitimate outfit that I was shocked when they were acquired by Travelors Group (right?) I can only imagine they are using a different business model, but I always chuckle to myself whenever I see the name.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
Don't know how I missed this........I think I suggested OP to start this thread.

Primerica
When I was in college back in the '70's, I was a summer intern for the American Can Co in Baltimore.....yep...they make tin cans. They were maybe 2nd or 3rd largest can mfr in the US at the time, but I guess they figured this business was too funky so they transformed themselves into a financial services company (a hellova switch) by buying out AL Williams and renamed themselves Primerica.

Somehow I came to the attention of thier local reps in the 80's, shortly after I figured out what a mutual fund was. I went to a few recruiting sessions, and I was somewhat intrigued, but I had some problems with thier business model. They kept recruiting me with all the zeal of an Amway distributor until I finally told them to bug off.

Thier business model was "buy term and invest the difference". They sold 8.5% loaded mutual funds and they encouraged doing it door to door. At the time, most mutual funds were charging 3-5% load (before the no-load revolution). The door-to- door bit reminded me of the insurance salesman that would come to my grandparents house every month or so to "collect" a few dollars at a time. One good thing about it was the minimum investment was only $25, so most anyone could afford that (the good part). The fund performance was "ok" as I recall. They never really revealed the strategy of convincing people to sell thier whole life policies, buy term and invest the savings in thier high load funds, but it was just below the surface. I also don't recall them having the term life policies for sale, but I bet they at least do referrals. They finally left me alone when I told them I did not think I could sell thier funds to my friends, neighbors and relatives and still sleep at night due to the high load.

To me they were such a quasi-legitimate outfit that I was shocked when they were acquired by Travelors Group (right?) I can only imagine they are using a different business model, but I always chuckle to myself whenever I see the name.
Yet guys like me get "lumped in" with "part-time advisors" like that..........
I sure as heck wouldn't buy insurance or investments from one of my neighbors.......knowing he did this as a MLM...........