Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
In all seriousness, the manual that came with the router (or its online equivalent) should explain things well enough for an average computer user to turn on basic security. Start there and post any questions along with router make & model and people here can probably help.
Agreed. Knowing which wireless router and which operating system someone is using helps, too.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
You probably won't find that equipment at Best Buy, though. (Update: Just looked and lo and behold some of the consumer routers actually do have something like QOS).Then you will need to hire a knowledgable techie to configure that equipment for you.
Just buy a hackable router where you can install your own firmware like Tomato. Then set up your QoS. Actually that sounds like work unless you like techie stuff.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
My router is unsecured and I know next to nothing about how to secure it. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to password protect it?
Figure out what kind of router you have. Look at the front or bottom. Find out how to access your router. Frequently typing 192.168.0.1 into the address box on your internet browser will bring it up. Or 192.168.1.1

You'll need the default password. Admin is a common one. Also 1234 or 12345 or password or root. Google your router model and "default password" to find out for sure.

The screen that comes up should have different settings. First change your password (may be called access password or administrative passowrd) to something else. Maybe u45tre98cht6 or something. Write it down somewhere, maybe even on a paper and tape it to your router.

Then find the "wireless encryption" settings or wireless security settings. If you have WPA2, use that one. Create a long random key (like a long password). You'll have to put that on your computer and other devices that access the router wirelessly. Your computer should have network settings and for your router's network, add the password and tell it WPA2 (or whatever type of encryption you used on your router).

There's more you can do, but this makes you non-low hanging fruit, and any hackers sitting outside your house will mosey on to the house 2 doors down that have an unsecured network.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
My router is unsecured and I know next to nothing about how to secure it. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to password protect it?

Many good suggestions from others.

Also to consider, find a trustworthy family or friend computer geek

Happens all the time, usually there's some in the family as the "computer geek" who'd be glad to help out if you ask nicely
Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Happens all the time, usually there's some in the family as the "computer geek" who'd be glad to help out if you ask nicely
Yeah, it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes to set up the router and a couple of devices if you have someone in the know. Say, what was the address where you keep this unsecured router? Maybe I can stop by and log all your internet traffic help!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

can be done

I have an agreement with my neighbor. They provide me with the wireless connection and in return I monitor and maintain the wireless network for them, this has been going on for about two years works great. To date have locked out three neighbors and and four mobile units to steal access. The wireless modem is set to mask the online computers. As long as you have your internet browser and wireless network set up correctly important information is not broadcast over the internet and your computer is not even seen as being their.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

don't uber geeks just stay etherneted direct to the modem for max speed, and to avoid security issues?

are there not a lot of people using wireless, for no purpose?
Old 10-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Yeah, it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes to set up the router and a couple of devices if you have someone in the know. Say, what was the address where you keep this unsecured router? Maybe I can stop by and log all your internet traffic help!
Note..I used the keyword "trustworthy"
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
don't uber geeks just stay etherneted direct to the modem for max speed, and to avoid security issues?

If you need high throughput over the network, yes, wired ethernet is the way to go. Most consumer internet in the US is slower than typical wireless speeds (assuming decent signal), so internet web-browsing doesn't really matter if it is done wired or wirelessly. I even stream video wirelessly and it comes no where close to maxing out my wireless connection.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I have an agreement with my neighbor. They provide me with the wireless connection and in return I monitor and maintain the wireless network for them, this has been going on for about two years works great. To date have locked out three neighbors and and four mobile units to steal access. The wireless modem is set to mask the online computers. As long as you have your internet browser and wireless network set up correctly important information is not broadcast over the internet and your computer is not even seen as being their.
isn't Ben F great! and the corrollary, the debt makes more debt, and that more debt makes more debt, and so on! ...life is a knife edge, and you fall to one side or the other, one path to financial liberty, one path to financial slavery.

apart from the ethical issue (which is significant for myself, ...greyer given actual cash is not being exchanged), there does not seem to be any particular way to get caught doing this, right? so it is at the level of downloading pirated mp3s

There is in fact a company out there that runs a website to faciliate a business model for doing this...can't remember name or details
Old 10-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #31

Quote:
so it is at the level of downloading pirated mp3s
I'm not sure I'd even say that. "Sharing" a wireless broadband connection may be against the terms of service with the ISP but I don't believe it's explicitly illegal under the law like a copyright violation would be.

I'd say it's more like one person paying for an all-you-can-eat buffet and sharing some of the food on their plate with others who didn't pay for one themselves.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes, my first router I bought, I purposedly bought a wired one for the very reasons you pointed out -- max speed, avoid possibilty of security issues.

But I've found when friends/family come over with their laptops, they look at me like I've in the dark ages when they can't just flip open their computers and connect wirelessly. To them, that feels so contraining, so being a good host, I have a wireless connection so they can move about and surf as they wish.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm not sure I'd even say that. "Sharing" a wireless broadband connection may be against the terms of service with the ISP but I don't believe it's explicitly illegal under the law like a copyright violation would be.

I'd say it's more like one person paying for an all-you-can-eat buffet and sharing some of the food on their plate with others who didn't pay for one themselves.
well, this is part of my problem...I am only at the second home for a few weeks of the year, and the use is very light...stuff like this forum...no media downloading, and same story for my nieghbours. Hard to justify $40 per month...a party line would make more sense and in the end help the cable company more than not bothering at all, which is what we do.

this then gets into the tricky area of behavior that violates an unenforcable contract, where breaking the rules benefits all parties, including the cable company
Old 10-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
this then gets into the tricky area of behavior that violates an unenforcable contract, where breaking the rules benefits all parties, including the cable company
Enquiring minds want to know: How exactly does the cable company benefit? They don't have to be bothered with writing you a year-long contract when you'll just be using it for several weeks?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
Put two routers behind the modem, one for each user.
Again this solution relies on trust, just like one router does. Unless you're going into your neighbor's den to check their setup how do you know really know what they have going, or if it's what you agreed to?

You might as well just trust them not to spend their free time snooping router logs.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Info from a non-geek. If a neighbor is hooking up to your network and you don't feel like password protecting it a fun game is to rename your network. Maybe something like "we can hear you having sex", or "where the hells my mower moocher?". For the geekish, here's a list of default router names and passwords:

Default Password List
Old 10-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

instructions

Connecting More Than One Computer to Road Runner Using a Wireless Router | Computing @ USM
Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Enquiring minds want to know: How exactly does the cable company benefit? They don't have to be bothered with writing you a year-long contract when you'll just be using it for several weeks?
its more money coming in for the cable company that would not otherwise be coming in, as default is not two contracts combining to one, but rather, zero contracts merging to create one.

rather than spend $40 per month, us part timers just walk over to the condo community centre and use the "free" computers in the library.

the problem with this, for me, is that my lifestyle is to sit with my wireless laptop, doing light duty like this website, on the couch beside DW while she watches So You Think You Can Dance and House Hunters....Barefoot Contessa....

fyi, Comcast does offer seasonal suspension, though I would like to maintain the system to operate web integrated security over the summer
Old 10-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Timely topic for us...TG dh2b is extremely competent in this area. Some of his w*rk buddies were talking about how easy it is these days to get a wireless signal capture device and cruise a neighborhood collecting info.
Razzafrazza digital Peeping Toms.
He just finished up the job...including turning broadcasting the SSID off,
re-configuration of the wireless router with new ID and key codes tonight. I had disconnect from the old netw*rk, reconnect and enter some data.
Obviously it all w*rked OK. Yet another reason to keep him onboard.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

poking around, or maybe someone mentioned this in the thread, I stumbled on this ..CE Compass
http://www.cecompass.com/usbskypevoi...neadapter.aspx

which permits dual use land line and skype on house system regular phones

for $20, I thought I would give it a try and ordered it

I think I will try Magic Jack as well...just in case it works well with my equipment