Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Humm... I had seriously considered a wireless broadband setup for our next home until I got an e-mail from my cousin. His son works for a well known security software company. 'Cuz said that son insisted on a wired home network for his parents. Evidently wireless set-ups are difficult to secure even when you have a family geek who is in the business.
Or--the son doesn't want to get calls every week from mum and dad asking how to fix the latest wireless glitch. A wired setup is going t be more robust and trouble-free, no doubt about it. About every three days I get a break in my connection that can only be fixed by shutting down the router and my DSL box and powering them back up. Then everything works fine. I'm sure I could find out why this is happening, but it would take 2 or 3 days of online research and experimenting with settings. If I had a relative ask me to recommend a home network setup, and I knew I was going to be the help desk for years to come, I might recommend a wired network, too.

To Krorean's point: I, too, wonder sometimes if the Apple stuff might be easier. Everything (software and hardware) has to be blessed by the Apple mothership, and supposedly everything works without conflict because of this. That would be nice. Or, maybe I could take up Linux as a hobby and resist both the Apple and MSFT borgs. At least I'd be in control of my destiny and not subject to the next Windows outrage.

Today inthe computer world things are like they were in the automobile world of the 1930s. Lots of people owned cars, but t keep them on the road involved a lot of owner input: Tires blew out and needed changing every few hundred miles, points had to be set by hand, carburetors had to be adjusted in several ways to get the thing to run smoothly--all this was fiddling that everyone accepted as a given. Today people buy cars and drive them for thousands of miles without doing anything but adding gas and changing the oil. Someday computers will mature to this stage, and consumers will no longer put up with crashes and fussy incompatibilities. But, things are already a lot better than they were in the DOS days.

"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If the password only accepts A-F (and numbers I assume), it is looking for a hexadecimal password.

You are in need of very specific info, but you have not provided any specific info. Do that and I'm sure someone can help.

Router make/model.
Internet provider name/type (cable, dial-up, satellite, etc?).
Computer SW for each you are connecting (Windows 98, XP, Vista W7, OSX, Linux?)
Computer internet connections (wireless or wired, built in card, or USB 'dongle"?)

You may have provided some of that in earlier posts, but re-cap it ALL in one post and it will be much easier for people to help you.

Don't assume that a more $ router will be "better" in terms of ease of set up. In fact, a more $ router might be harder to set up, as it will have more options.

I've set up a number of cheap ones and it was straightforward when I did it by a direct connection and logging into the router from the IP address they give you (and I really don't know much about routers). I've read many reports that the software setups they provide (usally on CD) are more of a hindrance than a help. I recc just logging in to that IP address through the browser and config from there. It really should not be a problem if you take little bites as target 2019 suggests.

Im using a D-Link DL624

Verizon Fios service

The laptop that I was able to connect using the secure HEX key or whatever they call it is brand spanking new and had Windows 7

The 2 laptops that weren't able to connect because I never got a prompt to enter the network secure key are both running Windows XP and are 3-5 years old.

Originally when I couldn't figure out the default password to the router, I gave up and bought a Belkin router. To set it up, you are required to run an ethernet cable from the router to the computer you are using to set it up with as you run the software.

I dont have any computers that have wired connections. I have 3 laptops and a desktop and even the desktop runs on a wireless connection. The router is in the attic because I dont need it to be in the house since its not wired to any computers. SO I had to take my brand new laptop running windows 7 into the attic and wire it to the Belkin router to set it up. When I was done setting up the Belkin router (unsecured), I was able to access the connection wirelessly from my other 2 laptops and my desktop, but when I unplugged the ethernet cable from the new laptop, I couldnt connect wirelessly. That when I gave up and tried a different new router which was a Linksys.

I have plenty of extra ethernet cable running from the Fios box so this time I decided to run it out of my attic door and run it to my desktop to do the setup. I read the instructions and went step by step and did exactly what it told me to do. For some reason, the computer wouldnt recognize the router. It just kept telling me that a cable wasnt connected, but trust me, it was. So I went back to the original D-Link router and when i was telling my friend that I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt accept the HEX password that I was inputting, I told him it said it would accept 0~9, A~F and a~f and when I said it out loud I realized it was A-F not A-Z. I made up a new Hex password and it worked.

I unplugged the ethernet cable and tried to connect wirelessly from the laptop running Windows 7. I got a popup asking for the password...entered it and it worked.

Thats when I went to my other laptops (running Windows XP) and tried to connect. Both of them recognize the new network I just set up. Both of them say its a secured network but neither of them gives me a prompt to enter the password when I try to connect. It just denies me access. As I said earlier, when i try to log onto one of my neighbors secured netwoks, I do get the prompt to enter a password so I cant for the life of me figure out why I dont get the prompt when I try to log on to my own network.

For now, I went back into the D-Link router settings and removed the password and made it an unsecured network and it works just like it used it. Laptops have no problem logging in.

Im going to try a different new router next week, but for now my main questions are:

1) Why dont I get a prompt to enter a password when i try to access my secure network on my old laptops but I did on my new one

2) Why couldnt I access the network I set up with the Belkin router using the laptop ( the new one) that I used to set up the router, but I could with the other older laptops.

utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote