Join Early Retirement Today

Shell Oil card cancelled!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Shell Oil card cancelled!

Two months ago, DW got a notice she missed a Shell credit card payment when she got a letter from Shell. Surprise! Well, the post office (my favorite pet peeve ) apparently did not forward the bill to our new address so it went unnoticed. They have done a lot of non-forwarding of our mail from what I can tell....(but that's another story).

So we paid it and called Shell to have the bill sent electronically from now on (been doing more of this lately, too). They were happy to oblige. Well, DW went to the station today and her Shell card was rejected!

She called them and the rep said the account was closed. DW said we never missed a payment for the last 20 years and this lost bill should not be reason to close this account. Shell rep said the "bank" closed the account, not them. I find that hard to believe.

So much for an 800+ credit score....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good riddance!

I voluntarily canceled my Shell card as their rebate program got pretty weak several years ago. I now use other cards that gives me 3% rebate on gas.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Good riddance!
+1

Oil company credit cards are so 1990.

Get yourself a PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa card and get 5% cash back on all pay-at-the-pump purchases no matter the name on the service station sign. If you aren't already a PenFed credit union member, anyone can join.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Get yourself a PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa card and get 5% cash back on all pay-at-the-pump purchases no matter the name on the service station sign. If you aren't already a PenFed credit union member, anyone can join.
(DW is sooo 1990's ()

I use the PenFed card. She sticks with "old hat"! Now she is using her Chevron card (I wonder how many of these oil company cards she has in hiding?)
Old 06-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
So much for an 800+ credit score....
Probably not anymore. Not with that non-payment resulting in a card getting canceled.

Speaking of credit score, the last time I checked ours was 5 or 6 years ago. Yes, it was in the 800+. Perhaps I should check again to make sure my identity has not been stolen and some guys have not racked up tons of charges.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #6

Were you using it only for gas? Maybe the bank felt that the account wasn't profitable enough (in terms of the fees it could rake off the amounts charged on the card) and used the late payment as an excuse to cancel it.

Isn't it wonderful to be in a position where you can laugh and use another card with better perks? With an 800 credit score I'm sure you'll find something.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Get the PenFed 5%* cash rewards on gas VISA card instead!

*5% if you have assets at PenFed.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Get the PenFed 5%* cash rewards on gas VISA card instead!

*5% if you have assets at PenFed.
+1
We are only using the card for gas now. Also helps when a store won't accept Amex.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

One reason to carry multiple cards. I used to use a Chase Visa. I must have had it for 10-15 years, never missed a payment that I know of, usually paid off the whole balance each month, and they kept upping my credit limit, I guess because I used it a lot. One time while I was out of the country (I had used it there many times before) it wouldn't work. Later found they had set the limit to what I currently owed on the account. Turns out that during some review, they thought I had too much in unsecured loans outstanding. But the loan was an 80K mortgage secured by a 750K house, that of my ex-wife. Even though I had a perfect payment record, without notice the reduced the limit to what was owed. There was no prior notice. Pissed off, I haven't used that card since. Very unsettling when you are out of the country to have this happen.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #10

Oh I would so definitely apply for a new card - so when I get it I can cut it up and send it to the bank President with some choice words.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #11

Call me whatever you might, but I put future payments due and credit card closing dates on my calendar so I know when to expect to receive a statement, and more importantly, when I have not received a bill on time -- either electronic or snail mail.

I started this after I found out than my car insurance policy had expired when I went in for a state inspection. Turned out that my statement and invoice had been mailed to an address at which I never lived, but I was still covered within the company's grace period. This was some kind of IT error, and having worked in IT for 32 years, and I am aware that these mistakes do happen, and for most people they are rare. Now our credit card statement dates and policy expiration dates are on the calendar.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Oh I would so definitely apply for a new card - so when I get it I can cut it up and send it to the bank President with some choice words.
Joe, I am sure that a Shell card application will grace our mailbox sometime in the future, and we will apply just to see if we get it. Then we will cut it up and send it back!

The part of this whole business that got under our skins is that they never notified us that the card was cancelled. They just waited until DW tried to use it and rejected it at the pump. That's a sad case for Shell and their bank.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I didn't know they still existed!

I had a Standard Oil card once... many decades ago.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Probably not anymore. Not with that non-payment resulting in a card getting canceled.

Speaking of credit score, the last time I checked ours was 5 or 6 years ago. Yes, it was in the 800+. Perhaps I should check again to make sure my identity has not been stolen and some guys have not racked up tons of charges.
Yeah, that'll teach ya! BTW, I recently got a smackdown, despite having a credit score of 834. I applied for a personal loan at Lendingtree.com, and initially was approved for $30K. But then they came back and said that after running my credit, they couldn't give me that much, but I could reapply for a lower amount.

BTW, if you have an 800+ credit score, how much would missing one credit card payment ding that, I wonder? Would just one card be enough to tank your score?

Oh, and aja8888, as a shareholder in Shell Oil, let me personally apologize for my company. I'll pull some strings and see what I can do! Not that the few shares I own would give me much clout...
Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #15

Found this explanation of credit card scores. Interesting part about averaging different ratings.
Highest Credit Score

excerpt:
Quote:
The reporting bureaus make money from sharing these numbers with lenders, banks, creditors, etc. The way a FICO highest credit score is broken down is simple. Thirty five percent is attributed to having a record of paying bills on time, thirty percent for total balance on credit cards and other loans compared to total credit limit, 15% for length of history, 10% for new accounts or recent applications for financing, and 10% mix of credit cards and loans. The highest credit scores will result in an individual having a lower balance to limit ratio and a balance of revolving accounts with installment loan accounts.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post

Oh, and aja8888, as a shareholder in Shell Oil, let me personally apologize for my company. I'll pull some strings and see what I can do! Not that the few shares I own would give me much clout...
Andre, thanks for the offer of help . On a side note, my BIL worked for Shell for 43 years and made it into a VP slot before retiring. He could not help either! I guess you have to be Dutch to have any "pull" in that company.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

This is one reason to use electronic statements. No paper statements to get lost in the mail.

Like others, I keep a calendar with all bill payment due dates on them. I login to each account a week before the due date to check the statement and pay the bill.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Joe, I am sure that a Shell card application will grace our mailbox sometime in the future, and we will apply just to see if we get it. Then we will cut it up and send it back!

The part of this whole business that got under our skins is that they never notified us that the card was cancelled. They just waited until DW tried to use it and rejected it at the pump. That's a sad case for Shell and their bank.
Nah, just fill the prepaid postage return envelope with powdered sugar and pop it in the mail. They will enjoy the sweet treat.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryjoe View Post
This is one reason to use electronic statements. No paper statements to get lost in the mail.

Like others, I keep a calendar with all bill payment due dates on them. I login to each account a week before the due date to check the statement and pay the bill.

Electronic statements is the way to go, for sure. Along with a Google calender notification system which I am setting up.

That Shell card got infrequent use (not every month since she has a PenFed VISA card too!) and DW never called Shell to set up electronic notification. I think we have one more paper statement coming in (Entergy) and I do nothing with it because they e-mail me the bill too!

My real pet peeve is the postal system. When I look at the volume of junk mail that shows up, I am shocked. When we moved to the new address it seems more junk was coming and it is entirely possible the postman had first class mail buried in some junk catalog or flyer and it (the Shell bill) got inadvertently tossed out. The risk of this happening seems pretty high.