Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

The threat or actuality of mortgage rates rising in our area usually results in buyers who have been sitting on the sidelines coming out of the woodwork to beat the increase--bring them on (and the corresponding increase in mm rates, CDs, etc.).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Now that's shocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I'll see you a Danville, VA and raise you a Detroit, MI

3,700 properties under $10k

Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I'll see you a Danville, VA and raise you a Detroit, MI

3,700 properties under $10k
...and a long long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I remember a newbie on this board suggesting that the massive influx of foreign-made goods might actually have an negative impact on our domestic economy, especially the automotive industry. But of course, that lone voice in the wilderness was shouted down over cries of "I don't really care where the products I buy come from" from the enlightened masses. Anyone else wonder how many of those homes were owned by displaced autoworkers? ...sigh.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
Anyone else wonder how many of those homes were owned by displaced autoworkers? ...sigh.
Then shouldn't you be demanding that we buy products from the companies that employ the fewest robots instead? There's a plant in Lansing that was closed as an Olds plant and reopened as (I think) a Saturn plant... but with a fraction of the workers since everything was robotic.

Since my car was made in the US (It's a Honda Accord!), I don't see what the issue is.... of course, you were the one getting mad over people buying nice domestically-built cars like the Accord.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #25
gone traveling

Nah, I'm over it...mostly.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flint and Detroit Michigan aren't particularly known for their outstanding real estate demand and real estate appreciation anyway, but Detroit's real estate prices... just wow.

Couldn't believe it at first so I zillowed Detroit. Being from the northeast, it is staggeringly depressing.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #27

Detroit was pretty depressing when I drove through it once 25 years ago.. I can barely imagine now.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #28

some current florida medium prices:

a house

in cape coral $172,400
in titusville $166,400
in punta gorda $141,000

a condo

in port st. lucie $165,000
in west palm beach $153,000
in melbourne $147,300

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #29

My wife's home town, Rudyard where the median price for a house is 17,500. It is 110 miles to the nearest Starbucks