Join Early Retirement Today

short or long correction going on
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

short or long correction going on

Last few days have been interesting in the market. Don't see the start of a Bear market but wondering if this might be a sharp but short correction or one of a longer deeper magnitude?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It depends how far down it goes and how long it lasts...........

Old 01-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #3

Don't know, don't really care. From a strictly selfish point of view, the best that could happen is a large stock market loss and a continuation of the past month's bond rally. But rooting for such an outcome is not something I would do, since so many people would suffer financially if it shakes out that way.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by karluk View Post
Don't know, don't really care. From a strictly selfish point of view, the best that could happen is a large stock market loss and a continuation of the past month's bond rally. But rooting for such an outcome is not something I would do, since so many people would suffer financially if it shakes out that way.
Never can see why a "large market loss" would be good for anyone. If slowing the economy, creating large government deficits, increasing unemployment and cutting corporation profits is good for some people, its a pity.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Never can see why a "large market loss" would be good for anyone.
I cannot see a steep decline is of any good other than those who short the market or have a pile of cash ready to buy.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
wondering if this might be a sharp but short correction or one of a longer deeper magnitude?
I could tell you what will happen. But that just may imperil my multi-trillion dollar arbitrage.

However should you wish to contribute to my leveraged hedge fund and you have investable asssets of more than $20MM then I just may be willing to take you on as my client.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Short one
At least I got a 50-50 chance
Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #8

It probably will be short, unless it is long. or maybe a shorter long one, or possibly even a longer short one . Or I might gamble on using the Morse Code theory..a short one followed by a 3 longs and then a short.

jk. I really don't care right now. When I get to where a long one would unacceptably affect my stash, I'll get out of the market entirely.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
It probably will be short, unless it is long. or maybe a shorter long one, or possibly even a longer short one

The Hank Kimball school of investing.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
It depends how far down it goes and how long it lasts...........
After a great deal of careful thought, combined with an in-depth analysis of market data going back to 1871, I must say that I am inclined to agree. On the other hand, if enough people offer an opposing viewpoint, I may be able to forage for, and relate, sufficient factual information to support this opposing point of view.

In other news, I have finally come to the point of view that, cheap as I am, life is too short to waste it by buying cheap wine-in-a-box. This stuff is truly horrible. I am now stuck with this awful beverage until the box runs out.

Goodnight all.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
After a great deal of careful thought, combined with an in-depth analysis of market data going back to 1871, I must say that I am inclined to agree. On the other hand, if enough people offer an opposing viewpoint, I may be able to forage for, and relate, sufficient factual information to support this opposing point of view.

In other news, I have finally come to the point of view that, cheap as I am, life is too short to waste it by buying cheap wine-in-a-box. This stuff is truly horrible. I am now stuck with this awful beverage until the box runs out.

Goodnight all.
MT - To demonstrate your new approach, just toss the box wine. Sorry, couldn't resist. To be honest, I would drink it
Old 01-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

What is considered a short correction compared to a long correction? Short being a week or two?

I still have to contribute to my 2013 ROTH IRA, so just a little curious.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #13

I just bought into some funds at vanguard, and with my Midas touch in reverse when it comes to investments I guess it's a long term correction :-).
Quote:
Last few days have been interesting in the market. Don't see the start of a Bear market but wondering if this might be a sharp but short correction or one of a longer deeper magnitude?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I just bought into some funds at vanguard, and with my Midas touch in reverse when it comes to investments I guess it's a long term correction :-).
Obgyn, you could put yourself into the same position as W2R with her Wh** indicator. Just post here whenever you make a purchase so everybody gets advanced warning of a market top.

The only problem I anticipate is what happens if you buy and W2R doesn't Wh**? We would need a third reliable indicator to break the tie.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post

MT - To demonstrate your new approach, just toss the box wine. Sorry, couldn't resist. To be honest, I would drink it
I have a friend who has even less taste in wine than I do. I think I'll save it for when she comes over. She'll think I'm doing her a favor by telling her to fill up whenever she wants. It's what friends are for

Obgyn just bought into equities? I KNEW it! A $500 million default in China, while being a drop in the ocean, is truly miniscule compared to the colossal psychological effect his purchase must have had on the markets. I just KNEW it. Now that's a sell indicator if ever I saw one! (Sorry Obgyn, I just couldn't resist )
Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #16

I think I started a thread a few months ago about my first investment in bonds ever, and bonds crashed right after that. I bought my first home ever, a condo, in 2008, cash with no mortgage, at the very peak - still have not recovered from that. No more real estate for me.

And now this correction. This is yet again another piece of evidence that some of us, including myself, are just unlucky when it comes to investments, even if we don't try to time the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Obgyn just bought into equities? I KNEW it! A $500 million default in China, while being a drop in the ocean, is truly miniscule compared to the colossal psychological effect his purchase must have had on the markets. I just KNEW it. Now that's a sell indicator if ever I saw one! (Sorry Obgyn, I just couldn't resist )
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
I cannot see a steep decline is of any good other than those who short the market or have a pile of cash ready to buy.
Not sure about a steep decline, but the market goes up, then goes down, etc. I'd prefer that the market reflect actual revenues and profits, and if we need a pause to get there, I'm sort of okay with it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

It's different this time....
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So then, are we dealing with a "known unknown" or an "unknown unknown"?

"... there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know."
D. Rumsfeld
Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I think I started a thread a few months ago about my first investment in bonds ever, and bonds crashed right after that. I bought my first home ever, a condo, in 2008, cash with no mortgage, at the very peak - still have not recovered from that. No more real estate for me.

And now this correction. This is yet again another piece of evidence that some of us, including myself, are just unlucky when it comes to investments, even if we don't try to time the market.
Huh? This investment has returned 5.6% over the 10.9 months since you announced having purchased some here Just bought $50,000 worth of Wellesley That return is almost double the total 2013 total portfolio return you announced here, so it looks like one of your best investments.