Join Early Retirement Today

Short Term Cash..
Old 06-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Short Term Cash..

For various reasons, I have a quite a bit of short term cash. I'm not putting it all in the market at the moment, but I do need it readily available.

In the past I've just used a prime money market.. but, they currently yield about 0.02% (not 2%)

So, am I just left with "high yield" savings accounts.. Is there a better option that's very safe?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For very safe I think you're stuck with online savings accounts. Even at just 0.9% it was nice to see real money coming in as interest instead of the 0.01% at the brokerage. You may do a little better with CD's if you have a longer time period to work with.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's see.. I see Optimizer+ savings at .95% and Everbank MMA at 1.4% (6 month intro) I can't believe there aren't more options...
Old 06-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Let's see.. I see Optimizer+ savings at .95% and Everbank MMA at 1.4% (6 month intro) I can't believe there aren't more options...
It's been like this for years now. My short term is at Ally, currently 0.87%. All I can say is it's beats the 0.01% at VMMXX and the like...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
For various reasons, I have a quite a bit of short term cash. I'm not putting it all in the market at the moment, but I do need it readily available.

In the past I've just used a prime money market.. but, they currently yield about 0.02% (not 2%)

So, am I just left with "high yield" savings accounts.. Is there a better option that's very safe?
Yep, high yield savings are the only game in town unless you can tie your money up for 2 years or more in which case you might find higher yielding CDs.

IBonds for money tied up over a year - you forfeit 3 months interest after a year until held for 5 years.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

There is no free lunch. If you want safe, maybe a CD ladder or I bonds as mentioned. I personally keep half of my emergency money in I bonds. The other 50% is in the Vanguard Retirement Income fund. I am willing to take a slight risk in order to hopefully beat inflation and make a few bucks. No easy answers here.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I keep a lot in cash as well (one year of living expenses). I'm still using prime money market fund. There are better options out there but the interest is still going to be pitiful. So I don't bother.

If you want more interest you could try using one of the online banks (savings account or cd).
Old 06-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #8

It occurred to me that many who don't have IBonds look at them based on the current 1 year return. Since the formula for calculation is based on the CPI, and the interest rate at the time of the purchase, this is not necessarily the same as the longer term result. I have included a look at the current rate and yield of some Ibonds, purchased at an earlier time, when the actual limit was $30K per person/year.
It doesn't match the market return from that time period, (2001-2003), but the safety and the inflation hedge allows for peaceful sleep.

BTW current GE Bank (Optimizer)15 mo. CD's 1.15%

IBond summary:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IBond.jpg (107.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have most of my ST cash @ Ally getting 0.87% and about 1/3 in VG ST bond fund paying a bit less. All in all we keep about 18 months of expenses in cash. Not a good time to be needing interest to live on.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I agree with other posters. I have a high yield no fee savings account with Discover Bank on-line. Very easy to electronically transfer to/from my checking account (Bank of America). The yield is 0.85. CD's yield a little more but I like to keep my cash readily available.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I am sitting on a lot of cash too while DW and I figure out what we are going to do next. I put mine in high yielding savings accounts for the FDIC insurance.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #12

Ally as well, although I try not to keep a lot of cash anywhere. That will change early next yeaer.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
I keep a lot in cash as well (one year of living expenses). I'm still using prime money market fund. There are better options out there but the interest is still going to be pitiful. So I don't bother.

If you want more interest you could try using one of the online banks (savings account or cd).
That's me too. I just keep it in my credit union. Have 2-4 years of living expenses, depending on how much I want to spend.

The annual budget figure I used for various retirement calculators would make it closer to 2 years than 4 years, though I can cut back a lot of discretionary things like travel and entertainment.

I'm thinking I would draw the cash down while allowing my investments to still accrue dividends and cap gains and reinvest them for a couple of years more after I FIRE.

Then I could start withdrawing in earnest and not keep more than one year of cash.