Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Here is what happened. Medical director (we'll call him MD) sits down and looks at a little spreadsheet he created. He said he was offering to pay me what the person I am replacing makes but did his calculations completely wrong and offered 1/2 of what he should have.

I got to say I would never work for so little (that was fun!) and reminded him that I was bailing him out. I showed the math he did was completely bogus as he calculated a daily rate as if the other person was working 365 days a year. So he more than doubled the offer and said I can continue full benefits if I work at least one week a month. The work is about 4-8 hr/day plus call. Free food. It's cake. I think it will be a good transition, and it covers the remainder of DS's college expenses.

What bothers me is that either MD is stupid in his math calculations or he's stupid enough to think I'm stupid with math. And I don't know which it is! Kind of scary that someone who can calculate critical care drug doses in his sleep would try to do such a thing.

Will need to see the contract as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It is nice having lots of leverage, isn't it?

Eh, management is the same everywhere. They want everything for cheap ad expect you to be grateful. Be happy that you jammed it to the man, see the contract along for as long as you wish, and then ride off into the sunset with your saddlebags full of cash.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Now you know how it was that your former salary was so low... those guys can't do math or they are sneaky.

I am wondering if this is an equal pay issue, do you think your gender had anything to do with the offer?

Old 08-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wasn't full time. And reimbursements are very low in PA. Our payor mix includes a lot of Medicaid.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

BUT do you think male physicians with similar background as yourself at your former employer were paid similarly

I would so love to have OFCCP do a review of that employer.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Now you know how it was that your former salary was so low... those guys can't do math or they are sneaky.

I am wondering if this is an equal pay issue, do you think your gender had anything to do with the offer?

Have to laugh about that one. For the past 7 years the majority (sometimes 100%!) of our group is female. The guys haven't pulled their weight frankly and we let 2 out of 2 go in the past few years. but we now have 2 men in the group it seems to be working OK. One is the new MD. He seems nice enough on the surface but I have good reason not to trust him. The other is a brilliant physician who has a most gentle bedside manner.

Funny-our bonuses were overall very good with a female director. And all our salaries easily beat those offered by the nearby university, even the lower one.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
What bothers me is that either MD is stupid in his math calculations or he's stupid enough to think I'm stupid with math. And I don't know which it is! Kind of scary that someone who can calculate critical care drug doses in his sleep would try to do such a thing.

Will need to see the contract as well.
He was not stupid with math, as Medical Director he has undoubtedly been through this many times before, and many (most) times it works. Many people are bad with math or intimidated enough by authority to question their own arithmetic. I have had it happen with me before, in all kinds of contracts and contract extensions. Subtle things will be subtracted or added "by mistake," that somehow always work against you and favor them.

Be certain you read and understand and reread the contract line by line. It is surprising to me how many otherwise brilliant people just accept the verbal "this is what is in the contract" rather than actually read it. You will undoubtedly find some things you want changed in the contract, possibly through several revisions. Make sure it comes out right.

But always follow the politeness rule. Be polite and respectful in negotiations, especially when you find obvious stealth errors put in at your expense. At least in their eyes give them the benefit of the doubt. Always best to show a positive attitude and be friendly, while you are being firm. If they show you something you are not sure about, don't give in right there. Tell them you need a day to think about it. Good luck!

One of the things I like about retirement, no more of these damn contracts.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on negotiating a good deal. I agree with Brat; studies show that female physicians do not generally get the salaries that males do, because we are too "nice". In this situation you have a lot of leverage and you used it. Good for you. I hope the job is as pleasant as you have described. If not, the remuneration will help.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
..... and said I can continue full benefits if I work at least one week a month. The work is about 4-8 hr/day plus call.
The can continue full benefits "if" would concern me somewhat, might not matter if you are able to easily meet the "week" requirement.

Losing benefits should not be an option. If you have a medical incident preventing putting in enough time, your family loses benefits?
I would nail down the exact definition of "week". 40hrs? 5 days? 4 hr day counts as a day? Being called in counts as a day? Etc.
Do you control the ability to work one week a month or do they? Maybe get the one week a month changed to 5 weeks in a six month period?

You could raise your compensation to cover the cost of benefits.
Or tell them the chance of losing benefits is a deal breaker.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.......... but did his calculations completely wrong and offered 1/2 of what he should have................
If you believe this you are a really nice person. If you'd have fallen for it, he would have been yukking it up with his buddies.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnr View Post
The can continue full benefits "if" would concern me somewhat, might not matter if you are able to easily meet the "week" requirement.

Losing benefits should not be an option. If you have a medical incident preventing putting in enough time, your family loses benefits?
I would nail down the exact definition of "week". 40hrs? 5 days? 4 hr day counts as a day? Being called in counts as a day? Etc.
Do you control the ability to work one week a month or do they? Maybe get the one week a month changed to 5 weeks in a six month period?

You could raise your compensation to cover the cost of benefits.
Or tell them the chance of losing benefits is a deal breaker.
Actually in our company they pay benefits if you work .75 FTE or more. Not very generous, highly annoying actually. I'll be essentially working at most 15 shifts/mo plus super easy night call. That is considered full time for this gig. So I only need to work 1/2 time for full benefits. They actually need to fill a full time position but I don't have to take all the days they need me. I can't---I have too much planned! Right now it is to fill a big urgent hole in the schedule. But I don't want to work beyond December anyway--I so looked forward to watching it snow this year and just being able to think, "Look how pretty! What book shall I read today?"

No benefits = deal breaker. That's a given. Unless they pay enough to cover my whole family's health/dental/vision plans through COBRA.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #31

Quote:
It was intentional. I'd have a really hard time believing it wasn't.

My former employer had an extreme deadline - $1M/month penalties for not meeting the deadline. Folks were putting in extra time - but not enough so they came up with a bonus program called "Mission Beyond" (immediately dubbed "Mission Impossible" by employees.) Employees had to commit to working 50/55/60 hr weeks - bonuses increased with each 5 hour increment.

I did the math and the bonus math didn't make sense... it was paying 20% less per hour for the 60 hour week than the 50 hour commitment. The 55 hour commitment was 10% less on a per hour basis than the 50 hour week. So I asked my boss why *anyone* would sign up for the higher hours. He said my math was wrong... I showed it to him and he agreed I'd done the math right.... he referred me to HR because he had been told it was a flat rate of bonus. (At least that's what he said..... )

The HR rep's response was "What is it with engineers < in a really snarky tone >." She then admitted the program was designed that way... she was shocked I'd done the math. Mind you the target of this work push was engineers... We do math. This had to do with money. Engineers, in general, pay attention to compensation. I'm not sure why they ever thought people wouldn't notice this. Although, as far as I know - I'm the only one who figured it out and questioned it.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
It was intentional.

I did the math and the bonus math didn't make sense...

The HR rep's response was "What is it with engineers < in a really snarky tone >." She then admitted the program was designed that way... she was shocked I'd done the math. Mind you the target of this work push was engineers... We do math. This had to do with money. Engineers, in general, pay attention to compensation. I'm not sure why they ever thought people wouldn't notice this. Although, as far as I know - I'm the only one who figured it out and questioned it.
ALWAYS do the math. My most successful salary negotiation was preceded by making a graph of my annual compensation for the decade or more that I had been with the organization, normalized for inflation, with the (low) correlation coefficient. Going in with facts, analysis and high but not unreasonable expectations gives a strong message that you are serious and not to be trifled with.