Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Short term money
Old 06-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In place of Walmart and Sams Club, we now shop at Super Target (with grocery) and Costco. They are closer to our house and my teennage daughters do not like the business practice of Sam Walton's empire.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like costco better, but target has higher prices and frequently is out of stock on items for long periods of time.

So far nobodys explained to me how Sam Walton forces people to sell stuff to him, forces people to work for him or forces people to shop there. I've seen plenty of articles interviewing CEO's who said their company works much more efficiently and they've become a lot more successful after dealing with walmart. Most of the people that work there look like they'd probably be unemployable or hard to employ elsewhere. Most of the shoppers look like they need every penny they have.

The small local businesses that complain about the walmarts fight back by not stocking their shelves, not keeping full enough product lines to help me avoid making several stops, employ people who are not at all helpful with the products and services they're selling, and keep business hours that dont match with when I want to shop.

When I can go to the small local hardware store with a list of 6 simple things and actually be able to buy all six things, not see empty shelf space where 1-2 of them are and be able to find an employee who can tell me what the difference is between two particular products, I'll be glad to drive by walmart.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:02 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Working in a retail store of any type has never paid much, or had many/any benefits.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:15 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Wal Mart has good deals, but I can't stand it due to crowds. Usually the mothers have left their kids in the middle of the aisle, tearing open packages and parts scattered around them. Lots of screaming and whining, narrow aisles, I get feeling claustrophobic. Now Target, there is a store you can get me to go to! Love that store.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #25

[ way offtopic gripe ]

I've held a grudge towards Target since Shrek came out on video; almost 4 years I think. I accidentally grabbed the VHS version of Shrek instead of the DVD version. I discovered it as I was tearing the shrinkwrap, but didn't have the shrinkwrap off or the tape out. They wouldn't let me exchange it, and I've been peeved at them ever since. I worked retail for a while and we regularly re-shrinkwrapped stuff; it was obvious I hadn't taken the tape out and I didn't want a refund but and exchange for a DVD so it wasn't like I had copied it and brought it back. I think the only thing I've bought there since then has been extra-large crew socks because I couldn't find the equivalent elsewhere.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:33 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Did you complain up the chain? They are pretty good about responding to emails to HQ. That stinks, man!
Old 06-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Did you complain up the chain? They are pretty good about responding to emails to HQ. That stinks, man!
No, I held my grudge in silence. I don't think I finished opening the package for a year or two after that. It occurred to me that any higher level of employee would probably go ahead and do it for relations, but I'm more of a grudge-holder than a complainer. I'm not saying that's smart or makes sense, that's just the way I am.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
MJ,
Can this be a new revenue stream?
Spanky
Didn't make much money when I was good and you could make a living, 35 years ago.

But you never know? Maybe my neighbors will pay me not to practice
Old 06-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
No, I held my grudge in silence. I don't think I finished opening the package for a year or two after that. It occurred to me that any higher level of employee would probably go ahead and do it for relations, but I'm more of a grudge-holder than a complainer. I'm not saying that's smart or makes sense, that's just the way I am.
Jim,

That's unfortunate and a mis-opportunity for the store. My daughter is the same way. She sat on massage chair at a BrookStone at a mall. The sales representative inpolitely told her to get off. Since then, she has never stepped foot on any of the Brookstone store.

Spanky
Old 06-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

World Savings Bank is offering a 13 month CD at 4.01%. This looks like a good place for short term cash.

I've heard that if you already have an account, they offer the same rate on a 7 month CD.

http://www.worldsavings.com/
Old 06-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
World Savings Bank is offering a 13 month CD at 4.01%.* This looks like a good place for short term cash.

I've heard that if you already have an account, they offer the same rate on a 7 month CD.

http://www.worldsavings.com/
I used them for all the years I was in Texas, then they kind of dropped off the radar. Sounds like they are back.

JG
Old 06-06-2005, 08:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
World Savings Bank is offering a 13 month CD at 4.01%. This looks like a good place for short term cash.
for short term, corus bank is still the best!
6 months 3.83 %
12 months 4.11 %

http://www.corusbank.com/
Old 06-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #33

MJ,

6 month CD at 3.83% is a good rate. However, I stay with Vanguard tax-exempt money market at 2.46% (equivalent to 3.42% at marginal tax of 28%.

Spanky
Old 06-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanently Redeployed
for short term, corus bank is still the best!
Spanky,

I agree 2.46% tax free is darn good. I should have said, still the best "FDIC" insured.

Alfalfa
Old 06-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanently Redeployed
Spanky,

I agree 2.46% tax free is darn good. I should have said, still the best "FDIC" insured.

Alfalfa
Hay Alfalfa! I get 7% tax-free. How about that? And no one is
separating the wheat from the chaff. I keep it all.

JG
Old 06-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Just dont mess with Mickey, he'll take you out for italian food and forget he left his gun in the restaurant.

You're only getting 7% because you're not making enough money to pay taxes.

And if you're not filing jointly with your wife, you're probably just costing her a higher tax payment to make your earnings tax free.

So the 'tax free' comment isnt exactly kosher now, is it?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Just dont mess with Mickey, he'll take you out for italian food and forget he left his gun in the restaurant.

You're only getting 7% because you're not making enough money to pay taxes.

And if you're not filing jointly with your wife, you're probably just costing her a higher tax payment to make your earnings tax free.

So the 'tax free' comment isnt exactly kosher now, is it?
Kosher? Well, I don't know. You got it pretty much right but my post
was literally true. Anyway, now that you've explained it all I don't need to.

Thank you.

JG
Old 06-07-2005, 10:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

S'alright...