Join Early Retirement Today

Short term stash for house proceeds
Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Short term stash for house proceeds

I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I think I've sold my house. The first buyer never responded to my counter offer, but today I got a second offer, all cash, contingent on inspection, and accepted it. So unless the inspector turns up something unexpected, looks like this is a go. After paying the balance of the existing loan I will have about $100K with which to buy a house to live in after retirement.

I was so scared it would sit on the market for months and months! Even better, to the best of my knowledge, there's no capital gains tax due.

I'm just wondering what's a good place to park this money until I'm ready to buy. I had my eye on a nice little house but someone beat me to it, and I'm in no hurry to buy because I'll most likely be in treatment until next spring. The only idea that occurs to me immediately is the B of A's "break any time after a week" CD's. They don't pay much interest, but the money is available almost at a moment's notice if just the right house comes on the market and I need to pounce. Any other ideas?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #2

I keep short-term money in VBISX.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I keep short-term money in VBISX.
For you, is "short term" the money you expect to need any time between a few weeks and a year from now, or money you'll need in a year or two?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A high yield online savings account would be perfect.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
+1
Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

ING Orange Direct or Ally..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on getting an offer that you accepted! I am so happy for you, especially given the housing market in many locations during the past few years.

I agree with Brewer12345 and the others. I'd just put it in a bank for now, since I assume that you plan to buy within a year or two.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
For you, is "short term" the money you expect to need any time between a few weeks and a year from now, or money you'll need in a year or two?
Less than a year. Once per year I withdraw from the portfolio and put the proceeds in VBISX. Then I withdraw from that throughout the year for spending needs.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd keep enough for the downpayment in a high yield savings (which is what you'd need immediately), and the rest in the best CD that would have a reasonable early withdrawal fee. I think you should wait till after treatment is over and you've recovered to start really looking for a place, so finding a good CD would be worth it.

Congrats on selling your place!!
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
TIAA Direct currently pays 1.25% APR on online savings. Best that I know of and FDIC insured.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Less than a year. Once per year I withdraw from the portfolio and put the proceeds in VBISX. Then I withdraw from that throughout the year for spending needs.
I do similar. During the year the quarterly dividends go into VBISX and the following year I draw out a couple of times into an on-line savings account.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Do you anticipate changing this approach when interest rates begin a rise; i.e, use a money market instead?
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I do similar. During the year the quarterly dividends go into VBISX and the following year I draw out a couple of times into an on-line savings account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Do you anticipate changing this approach when interest rates begin a rise; i.e, use a money market instead?

If interest rates were rising then I would consider other options, e.g. a money market account.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I keep most of my mine in VFSUX (short term investment grade fund, admiral shares). This is money that I expect to spend this year. I keep about 2-3 months of expenses in my bank account (some in savings, some in checking).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I keep most of my mine in VFSUX (short term investment grade fund, admiral shares)
Does your balance often drop below $10,000? If so, what happens to your admiral shares? That's the issue that's kept me from converting to admiral.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
TIAA Direct currently pays 1.25% APR on online savings. Best that I know of and FDIC insured.

For as long as it lasts, that rate seems to beat all competitive CDs.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Does your balance often drop below $10,000? If so, what happens to your admiral shares? That's the issue that's kept me from converting to admiral.
I thought the min for admiral (VFSUX) was 50k?
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Currently closed to new subscribers.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #19

offer withdrawn

Got an email from my real estate agent this afternoon, and the buyer has backed out of the offer, which was made subject to inspection. As far as I have been told, no inspector ever looked at the house. The claim is "the neighborhood is not safe enough for their daughter", but no facts were presented to support this assertion. The nature of the neighborhood was apparent when the offer was made. If they didn't like it, they should have kept looking. Anyway, I didn't accept the offer "subject to approval by buyer's parents". She is (I assume) an adult, and in control of her own finances. If she was getting the money from her parents, she should have gotten their OK before making the offer. GRRRR!

IMO this is either a plain renege (if the buyer changed her mind) or bad faith (if she made a cash offer with money she didn't have), so I told the agent if he hadn't already said he would return the earnest money, he shouldn't do so.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #20
Administrator

Sorry to hear that. If there was an inspection there needs to be a report. If there was ernest money there should also be a sales contract. I changed my mind is not a valid reason to return the deposit.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote