Join Early Retirement Today

Should Be Obvious By Now
Old 11-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Should Be Obvious By Now

In his latest newsletter PIMCO chief Bill Gross points out that we were all trained by a 25-year secular bull market to buy on dips. But he says,"those that define it by 'dip buying' or a secular time frame encompassing only the past quarter century, are certainly self-limiting and perhaps lacking in common sense."

Gross points out that we are not now at the end of a "double-digit"
inflation era or at the end of a government strangulation of initiative like the early 1980's.

We are also, I would point out, not in the recovery period after the "dot-com bomb", 9/11, or the 1st Iraq war. All of which were somewhat easy to see as limited.

I remember my wife saying as the 1st Iraq war started and the market dropped, "Who do you think is going to win, Iraq or The United States of America and the rest of the world?" We bought with both hands then.

Not your father's stock market anymore. That's my view anyway.

b.
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
inflation era or at the end of a government strangulation of initiative like the early 1980's.
Did he point out where we are instead of what we are not?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Did he point out where we are instead of what we are not?
Like perhaps in the midst of a general realignment of value that brings prices back to where they should have been after years of debt and cheap money driven run ups? That will eventually begin (slower this time?) another upward trend as new technologies arise to propel the market? Maybe?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe it will get worse and worse. Perhaps this is it the beginning of the end. Perhaps tomorrow the world will get hit by a super flu or an asteroid. No one not even Bill knows what the future will really hold :P
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In his latest newsletter PIMCO chief Bill Gross points out that we were all trained by a 25-year secular bull market to buy on dips. But he says,"those that define it by 'dip buying' or a secular time frame encompassing only the past quarter century, are certainly self-limiting and perhaps lacking in common sense."

We are also, I would point out, not in the recovery period after the "dot-com bomb", 9/11, or the 1st Iraq war. All of which were somewhat easy to see as limited.

I remember my wife saying as the 1st Iraq war started and the market dropped, "Who do you think is going to win, Iraq or The United States of America and the rest of the world?" We bought with both hands then.

Not your father's stock market anymore. That's my view anyway.

b.
To me this sounds like fear created by events. The carnage that we are seeling today pretty well discounts anything short of nuclear war, IMO.

Ha
Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Maybe I am one of those "lacking in common sense" to understand Bill Gross's common sense, but what exactly is he saying?

That the stock market will be pathetic over the next several years? That we should all be investing in PIMCO bonds?
Dreamweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Fearful Events
Old 11-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Fearful Events

All I can say is, what I've said before. If you haven't been right, at least once, in the last two years, you should at least consider being a little humble.

boont
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

My father, 1925 -2004, was investing/ed during the '66 -'82 period, he endured the '73-74 Bear and the crash of '87 and even the 50% wipeout of the S&P in 2000-2002. He had childhood memories of what life was actually like in the Great Depression. Perhaps the 2 years he spent in combat over the skies of Europe in WWII gave him a better perspective of what a "nice" life really is.

Nope it's not my father's stock market any more.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In his latest newsletter PIMCO chief Bill Gross points out that we were all trained by a 25-year secular bull market to buy on dips.
I'll start reading Bill Gross again when his Dow 5000 prediction happens.

While it's hypothetically possible that I'll start reading his essays again, I don't think I'll ever comprehend them. He's even worse than Greenspan.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'll start reading Bill Gross again when his Dow 5000 prediction happens.
Yep, and when he made that prediction back in 2003, he ignored the fact that the yield on the S&P 500 was greater than that available in money market funds, as is the case today. Remember, Bill Gross is a bond guy, not an equity guy.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In his latest newsletter PIMCO chief Bill Gross points out that we were all trained by a 25-year secular bull market to buy on dips.
I would contend that the secular bull ended in 2000, not 2007.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In his latest newsletter PIMCO chief Bill Gross points out . . .
Any chance the "Bond King" is suggesting that folks . . . .(hold on to your hats) . . . buy bond?!?!
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
Any chance the "Bond King" is suggesting that folks . . . .(hold on to your hats) . . . buy bond?!?!
Ya think maybe he will pick the Saint's for the Superbowl and maybe pssst Wellesley to ride this out?

Probably not.

heh heh heh -

5.84% SEC yield. Remember this -a no. 2 pencil, 4% SWR, and a big handgrenade gets you retired - especially if you are a really cheap bastard - and read the study, done yer FireCalc, etc.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote