Join Early Retirement Today

Should I consider a HELOC?
Old 01-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Should I consider a HELOC?

Age 63 in March. Plan to work another year. Home in Ohio paid off as well as condo in Florida. No debt.

I know that if I do it needs to be done while working. What are so reasons for having a HELOC.

And if so, best place to get one?
Thanks

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

One possible downside is that they may (or may later) require more expensive insurance than you want. I dropped a HELOC for this reason.
43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No real downside to a HELOC. It's free to have, free to set up, and a great source of fast, cheap cash.

A possible downside of you sell, you will have to close it. I have a $500 fee if I close the line in less than 36 months.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
No real downside to a HELOC. It's free to have, free to set up, and a great source of fast, cheap cash.
My comment was to contradict that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43210 View Post
One possible downside is that they may (or may later) require more expensive insurance than you want. I dropped a HELOC for this reason.
If you are forced to have excessive insurance, then there is a very real cost. (This can also be an issue for car loans.) I had had a HELOC for several years that was "free" in the way you said, but then they began to insist on very low deductibles, requiring much more expensive insurance than I wanted, and so it wasn't worth keeping.
43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #5

Interest paid on a HELOC will no longer be tax deductible in most cases under the new federal tax law.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
No real downside to a HELOC.
unless some guy calls the bank appearing to be you and they wire $180K to him outside the country
Old 01-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We just closed at Third Federal Savings and Loan. Prime minus .75 variable. Ten year draw, 20 yr repayment. Very low payments. I had a conversation with them about using retirement account assets to qualify and they seemed pretty flexible, but ultimately did not need to provide that info. The last two HELOCs we closed on had monthly rate revisions and no caps. Rates went up on the day we closed.

Edit: They are based in Cleveland with branches in FL, but they lend all over, I think.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Yikes.....just went online to LendingTree to check them out. Within minutes.....my email is blowing up.....over 14 emails wanting to give me a loan!

Told them I have zero need for a loan. Just looking for a HELOC in case a short term need would ever arise in the future. Wow, they are swarming like sharks.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Yikes.....just went online to LendingTree to check them out. Within minutes.....my email is blowing up.....over 14 emails wanting to give me a loan!

Told them I have zero need for a loan. Just looking for a HELOC in case a short term need would ever arise in the future. Wow, they are swarming like sharks.
NEVER use Lending Tree or any of the lead aggregators. You will get every shady broker in the country calling and e-mailing you. Shop directly instead.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

According to the Third Federal web page there is a $65 annual fee for their HELOC which they waive for the first year.
almost_there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

A reason for a HELOC, is to manage income. If you need to lower income one year, you pay expenses with your HELOC. I did that last year to have lower income for Medicare evaluation and will get the added benefit of lower taxes on the income used to pay it off this year.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
gone traveling

Ages 69/60.
Have HELOC at 3.5% for $50K.
$45K utilized for kitchen renovation.
Stock market seems to be doing better than 3.5%.

davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #13
gone traveling

Thought:

I've heard a bunch of advertising recently about title theft. Would a HELOC prevent that, since the bank would need to clear the debt?

I'm looking at winding down debt, but thinking there are protections to having a BANK watch after my title...
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #14

We are in the process of getting a HELOC right now. The appraisal is tomorrow. I will be riding the lower tax bracket (was for me 15%, now 12%). If I need a new roof or some other large expense after I have already hit the bracket maximum, every dollar I have to draw out of a 401K/IRA is taxed at the next higher rate (was 25%, now 22%). A 10% higher marginal tax rate. With the HELOC, I can borrow the money and manage it better in the subsequent year. Saving 10% on taxes less some level of interest expense. The HELOC is no fee, our current insurance is fine for them ($1,000 deductible), and the rate is low. So I didn't see any reason not to secure the line before I move into retirement. Honestly though, I don't think I'll ever need to use it. Just got it because I figure it would be easier to get now (still working) than later when retired.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Downside: NONE

Reason: OPTIONS
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_there View Post
According to the Third Federal web page there is a $65 annual fee for their HELOC which they waive for the first year.

Yup. Maybe not worth it if you're just going to have the HELOC sit there as a contingency. They do give 100 buck Home Depot gift card so that covers another 1.5 yrs of annual fee. Can't recall if there's a minimum initial draw.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
A reason for a HELOC, is to manage income. If you need to lower income one year, you pay expenses with your HELOC. I did that last year to have lower income for Medicare evaluation and will get the added benefit of lower taxes on the income used to pay it off this year.
+1. We use ours to stay under the ACA limits. If we are getting close on the MAGI limit, we can use the HELOC money to get us through the tax year without incurring any taxable income.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Interest paid on a HELOC will no longer be tax deductible in most cases under the new federal tax law.

My understanding is it depends what you use the HELOC for. If you use it for home improvements, interest would still be deductible.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Lots of positives. Good idea to have a standby HELOC if you have significant home equity.

My mortgage is with Third Federal. I called them some time ago as they were promoting the HELOCs. As I recall, max was 150K. I am looking for more so did not pull the trigger. But they do have competitive and low fee the mortgages (at least the ARMs). Relock the rate at any time.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #20

I’d get a HELOC if I were you. You can always close it later if you find it doesn’t meet your needs, but it’s easier to get while still working and offers more flexibility than if you didn’t have it. We originally got ours while we were still working and used it to help finance a home renovation. The rate is still pretty low so we haven’t paid it off fully, although we’ve paid it down by about two thirds of the amount we had drawn. We have a nice source of funds that could support us temporarily if need be in the future at a very low cost.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote