Join Early Retirement Today

should i get term life and a little bit of whole?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

should i get term life and a little bit of whole?

i'm 36, married with one child and probably one on the way. i'm getting term life insurance for 30 years..should i get a little bit of whole life along with it or is the term good enough? why would i get whole life along with term?
dooo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

In my opinion, getting any life insurance is a scam. You are hoping that you won't need it and but you are paying someone money every month just in case. But, in my opinion, whole life is a bigger scam. You are thinking that you are actually putting money away and that the life insurance people are saving it for you in a responsible way.

IMO, get the term for what you need when you need it, and do the whole on your own or with some savy financial advisor with a great track record.
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsiaoChu View Post
In my opinion, getting any life insurance is a scam.
Getting any insurance is placing a bet that favors the insurer. But if you are a sole breadwinner earning $100K and your spouse is raising 2-3 young kids at home, would you rather not participate in the scam and die on them without it?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Getting any insurance is placing a bet that favors the insurer. But if you are a sole breadwinner earning $100K and your spouse is raising 2-3 young kids at home, would you rather not participate in the scam and die on them without it?
Its a scam that we all participate in. But term is a the better value. As long as there were kids in the house, and as long as the rates are affordable, I keep the term since I am the major breadwinner and my wife(and when there were kids in the house) had no easy recourse. But even so, the amount that I could afford wouldn't have put them on easy streak.

Now I have a friend who took out 2 million and then tried to committ suicide. He failed, but one day after the 2 million was in effect again he didn't use pills, he used carbon monoxide. PA is a state where insurance pays on a suicide.

Unfortunately the survivor gave the whole amount away to the Lutheran Church. Can you imagine that? And what's more, can you imagine that the church took it? Now she's destitute and desperately needs money. Do you think her precious Lutheran Church will help her? Not a chance. If the church had been caring about her, they would have said she should gift the whole amount to them in her will, and take the CD interest on it in any year that she wanted to give it. At the time that would have netted them about $120K per year.
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would recommend level term life insurance to cover all your debts, and an additional amount that makes you feel comfortable if something should happen to you (not likely). You should investigate your company's optional life insurance offering if available - it's usually very inexpensive to buy additional coverage under that group plan.

I haven't carried any individually purchased life insurance since I turned 45 (originally purchased to cover our mortgage), and personally have no use for any of the other aggressively pushed forms of "life" insurance (buyer beware - you would do better to invest your discretionary income yourself).

You might find yourself having to shop this type occasionally. When I carried it - it renewed every five years (their opportunity to raise the price). Age 45 used to be the jumping off point. When you renew over that age, it used to jump up significantly. They should provide you with a spreadsheet that shows the prices at different ages
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Unfortunately the survivor gave the whole amount away to the Lutheran Church. Can you imagine that? And what's more, can you imagine that the church took it? Now she's destitute and desperately needs money. Do you think her precious Lutheran Church will help her? Not a chance.
As a Lutheran myself I take offense to these remarks. I'm sure there are some congregations that are a little more mercenary than others. But I'm also pretty sure the church never held a gun to her head and demanded that they get the entire insurance payout. No church I know of would ever expect such a thing. So if this is just religion-bashing, please save it for someone else.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
So if this is just religion-bashing, please save it for someone else.
And someWHERE else other than on this forum.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And someWHERE else other than on this forum.
That too!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In my opinion, getting any life insurance is a scam. You are hoping that you won't need it and but you are paying someone money every month just in case. But, in my opinion, whole life is a bigger scam. You are thinking that you are actually putting money away and that the life insurance people are saving it for you in a responsible way.

IMO, get the term for what you need when you need it, and do the whole on your own or with some savy financial advisor with a great track record.
Insurance is not a scam, it's insurance. It's insuring that if you win the bet (ie. die) the people you love will only have to deal with the grief, and not with financial catastrophe on top of it.

That said, term life is insurance, while IMO whole life is an investment product. And one that makes everyone involved in it better off, except of course, you. I would avoid it. If you need more insurance just get a bigger term life policy.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooo42 View Post
i'm 36, married with one child and probably one on the way. i'm getting term life insurance for 30 years..should i get a little bit of whole life along with it or is the term good enough? why would i get whole life along with term?
The only whole life policies I would recommend are those from the Army AirForce Mutual Aid Association, Navy Mutual Aid Association and other Associations that you might qualify for that:

1) Don't pay sales force a commission
2) Are owned and operated by the members for the mutual benefit of members.
3) Policies are 100% refundable, meaning if you decide the policy is not right for you, you get 100% of your premiums back.
4) Don't penalize you for dividend or interest income that your policy earned if you decide to cancel your policy early.
5) Association is financially strong.
6) policies are low cost and earn competitive interest.

You won't find any for profit insurance companies that meet the criteria I described above. So, I'd stay away from them.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #11

Stay with the Term, Whole Life is not what you want or need. I bought 3 Whole Lifes policies in my life, I'm not that smart. All 3 went into litigation for some type of fraud. The first 2 I cashed in after the settlement and I still hold the 3rd. I did receive a 31K settlement 2 years ago on the 3rd. Just goes to show that Whole Life policies are not something that you want to get involved in. The ins. co and the salespeople are the only ones happy with them.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooo42 View Post
What I really think you should do is put all your insurance questions in one thread and not 5 different ones for each question
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #13

In the old days there were participating mutual whole life insurance, which in the long term is not a bad deal (30 years) after 30 years the dividends would pay the premium and at that point the premium flows right to cash value. But of course 30 years is a long time and the participating policy is hard to find. (The dividends buy additional insurance, which in turn pays dividends on its cash value) So today the total cash value grows by 2000 a year on a 20k face value policy. But then that was then and you probably can't get that kind of deal today.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #14

That's what I did; get a little whole life and the rest term. So, I'll always have the $50k in whole and the other $100K+ in term. The $50k is outside of work, pay premiums for 15 yrs. and the dividends are supposed to cover it after that. The term is through work and is dirt cheap, but if I switch jobs or health goes to crap, then my term is likely gone or the premium goes up. Supposedly the whole life would stay in effect, assuming I keep paying the premiums.

If I had it to do over, I think I'd do it the same way, just shop around for better whole life rates. I was young and naive.

-CC
Old 08-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Skip the whole life - a good portion of your premium pays commission to the agent. That is why it is sold and not bought.

Keep your insurance and investments separate.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Skip the whole life - a good portion of your premium pays commission to the agent. That is why it is sold and not bought.

Keep your insurance and investments separate.
All life insurance policies pay a commission to the agent. The premium for whole life is bigger, but the commissions are smaller. As an example, commission on a term product might be 100% of the first year premium, while on whole life it may only be 55-65% with 3-10% renewals for the first 10 years. Contrary to popular belief, the agent's job is not done after the policy is sold. There is a lot of post-issue work when things need to be changed that the agent gets paid nothing additional for. A lawyer will charge you $500 to walk in his office and review a document. An insurance agent will spend hours and hours re-working your policy changes (beneficiary change, payment changes, assignments, etc) and not charge you a dime.

To answer the question, in my opinion, it is a good idea to have the death benefit you need today covered with term insurance, but to still have some permanent insurance as a "safety net" in case you outlive the term and still need coverage. As an example, if your total coverage needs are $1 million, you may consider $900k of term and $100k of permanent. While the term is active, you have $1 million of coverage. After the term expires, you still have $100k "just in case." It will always be much cheaper to buy the coverage when you are young and healthy than when you are older and have health issues that will put you into a less favorable risk class.

Now, this is an early retirement forum, so most people here believe you won't need the permanent by the time you reach retirement age, but your average person usually still does. You may also want to consider guaranteed universal life (GUL) as an alternative to whole life. The cost is much lower (premiums will be 40-60% less) and the death benefits are guaranteed for life. It will never generate the cash value like whole life will and you can basically think about it as term insurance with a premium guaranteed for life. A lot of my clients will buy a GUL policy that is set up to be "paid up" at age 65 so that when they hit retirement, they no longer need to keep paying premiums, but the death benefit is locked in forever. As an example, a 36 year old in perfect health can get $100,000 of GUL paid up for life at age 65 for only $590 per year. A "20-pay" would be $690 per year for 20 years. A "10-pay" would be $1,125 per year for 10 years.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Just stick with the term life--skip the commission-rich rest of the life insurance. Get enough to make sure the kids get through school (say, 20 or 30 years). You can self-insure after that.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
All life insurance policies pay a commission to the agent...........................
You might want to mention that you have a conflict in interest in your "opinion".
Old 08-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You might want to mention that you have a conflict in interest in your "opinion".
He does have a disclaimer stating that he is an independent insurance agent in his signature line.

Quote:
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature
Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
He does have a disclaimer stating that he is an independent insurance agent in his signature line.

Sorry, I have signatures and avatars turned off.