Join Early Retirement Today

Should I increase my WR after inheritance
Old 11-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Should I increase my WR after inheritance

My father recently passed away at 97 (had a darn good run!) and I have received a pretty healthy inheritance. I had been taking a WR of about 4% but now it's at 3%.

I'm thinking of figuring out my SS rate at 70, and take the amount out of my inheritance yearly which would bring the WR up to about 4.2%. But then delay taking SS so that DW would be able to trade up to mine if necessary.

I know there is a million and 1 ways to divvy everything up, but I could sell this to the DW as benefiting us now and in the future. And it appears to be fairly safe also.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Yes...yes...yes.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've always figured never to count on an inheritance until you actually receive it. Too many things could happen, like the person being immortal, or they run through their dough on medical or otherwise finding they didn't have as much as you thought, or they could give it to someone else.

Once you have it though, I would reset my plan with the new money part of it just like the old. I guess you could treat the money separately if you wanted to do things in his memory, but my thought is that money is money. And this sounds like enough money to be a game changer, so dump your old plan and put together a new one.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm confused. If you received a large inheritance, wouldn't your WR % go down, even if the amount you are withdrawing goes up (within limits)?

Or are you "compartmentalizing" and keeping the inheritance separate from the WR calculation? If so, my advice is "don't do that!". Money is fungible, look at the big picture. (like I see RunningBum just posted)

With a larger buffer, I'd agree that makes delaying SS more attractive, considering spousal benefits.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

While I don't advocate spending for the sake of spending, I do think that uping your expenditures for things that improve the quality of life for you, your loved ones and others is a good idea.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
I'm thinking of figuring out my SS rate at 70, and take the amount out of my inheritance yearly which would bring the WR up to about 4.2%. But then delay taking SS so that DW would be able to trade up to mine if necessary.
If including the inheritance in your portfolio allows you to protect your wife's future by delaying the start of your social security benefits until 70, then it's hard to think of a reason not to do this.

Without know the numbers involved, it would be hard to tell if you are considering an optimal solution, or one that on the surface just seems better than before. What alternatives are you considering?

Remember, all money is fungible. You should probably consider investing your inheritance per your asset allocation strategy immediately, then withdrawing the necessary amount from your overall portfolio. Don't let the inheritance money sit in a savings account earning nothing.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If you add the inheritance to your long-term retirement assets, then applying the same planned withdrawal rate to the total assets makes sense to me.

If you are using the new funds some other way, then don't worry about "overall WR". All that matters is the withdrawal rate on your current retirement assets not including the new inheritance. Heck you could blow it all on a new house and it wouldn't impact your current retirement portfolio survival characteristics.

I prefer to compartmentalize and only apply the withdrawal rate to the chunk of my assets set aside as "retirement fund" which is what I actually withdraw my annual income from. I can do whatever the heck I want with the rest of my assets without compromising the survival of the retirement fund in any way.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

You should do whatever you want. Especially some things that you would have liked to do before but thought you couldn't afford.

Because now you can -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
While I don't advocate spending for the sake of spending, I do think that uping your expenditures for things that improve the quality of life for you, your loved ones and others is a good idea.
Agree.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #10

I agree all money is fungible and it's all in my brokerage account. At present my WR is reduced to 3% because I haven't changed my WR yet. I really don't need a lot of extra income but if I can have it, I was thinking why not take it. Once both my DW and I start taking SS we will be awash in more money than we normally would spend. So the choice is give the kids a larger inheritance or up our standards of living and travel. I'm inclining towards the latter :-)
Old 11-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree all money is fungible and it's all in my brokerage account. At present my WR is reduced to 3% because I haven't changed my WR yet. I really don't need a lot of extra income but if I can have it, I was thinking why not take it. Once both my DW and I start taking SS we will be awash in more money than we normally would spend. So the choice is give the kids a larger inheritance or up our standards of living and travel. I'm inclining towards the latter :-)
My thoughts exactly.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

All money is fungible but goals and time frames are not. It makes perfect sense to have money earmarked for certain things and invest it differently depending on the goal and timeframe.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
All money is fungible but goals and time frames are not. It makes perfect sense to have money earmarked for certain things and invest it differently depending on the goal and timeframe.
"Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!"

I like your signature. Perhaps I should take the extra dough and emulate you!
Old 11-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!"

I wrote that new sig line in early 2016 when I realized I was approaching about 40 hours a week for 3 months straight working on planning the details of our 3.5 week Southern France/Barcelona trip. It was a great trip, and super smooth in spite of many complications due to my thorough preparation, but dang it was a huge amount of work! I really wish I could hire someone to do it for me but probably won't delegate such a task for several more years, and it won't be nearly as thorough and customized to us.

On options for extra dough.....

There is no reason some funds can't be set aside for something other than funding annual living expenses, especially when faced with a windfall (by definition unexpected?). Just before we retired we set aside a goodly chunk for travel apart from our retirement fund that we planned to live off of, because we wanted to be able travel heavily the first few years, and expected that once the pent up desire eased, and the funds were exhausted we would settle into a more routine annual travel and spending pattern.

Other people may set aside funds for buying an RV or boat, or maybe even a second home or some other highly desired toy.

Similarly other folks may set aside a chunk, kind of like creating their own annuity for X years or month, to bridge them until new sources of income come on line, like SS or a pension.

The only "rule" is that you should not violate your self-determined withdrawal rate on the pile of money that you have earmarked as your retirement fund. Those funds are for drawing your annual income, and if you decide to pull a big chunk out to spend on something else you had better recalculate the annual income the smaller fund will support and abide by your new annual income.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #15

Quote:
I take an equivalent amount out of my 401k each year to bump by annual income up to what I will get when I turn 70 and start collecting SS on my account. It seemed like a good thing to do to smooth out the income flow.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

To strictly follow the standard 4% plus inflation rule you would not reset to have the 4% be equal to your total portfolio. You would stick with your current withdraw percentage for the balance that doesn't include the inheritance. Then start the 4% rule plus inflation for the inheritance balance.
Aggie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

That would be the same number.

(.04 x A) + (.04 x B) = .04 x (A+B)
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie1999 View Post
To strictly follow the standard 4% plus inflation rule you would not reset to have the 4% be equal to your total portfolio. You would stick with your current withdraw percentage for the balance that doesn't include the inheritance. Then start the 4% rule plus inflation for the inheritance balance.
I think I'll just lump it all together and take 4.2% out (which would be adding what my SS would be at 70) and then at SS age, reduce WR by an equal amount which would probably drop the WR to 3.7%. I look at it like having my cake and eating it too.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
That would be the same number.

(.04 x A) + (.04 x B) = .04 x (A+B)
Sounds like it, but it really wouldn't be.

IF the OP started with 4% and increased the amount by inflation each year, he wouldn't be taking out 4% right now. Since the market has been good, it's likely to be less than 4%.

With the inheritance, start a new bucket at 4%, and increase that amount by inflation.

Seems unnecessary, but it would reduce sequence of returns risk because you'd have 2 different starting points instead of 1.

It doesn't sound like the OP is actually doing 4% + inflation.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:

If you and DW enjoy travel, then why not earmark part of the inheritance for travel while you are young enough to enjoy it. As Robbie might say, blow some of that dough!