Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Should I, or shouldn't I
Old 04-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tootimid -

You are probably precieved as an interloper from corporate by the subsidiary CEO and others at the organization. I am not sure... but it sounds like you are there to facilitate some change (new strategy is change). You are on their turf. They resent that the smart guy from corporate showed up. Plus, there may be some slight cultural differences at work.

Here is the thing. If you are working strategy, most of those inititatives take a few years to implement. If it fails, you will be well into the 4 year countdown. Plus, things are probably not as bleak as they feel right now. You are the new guy. If you have new ideas and/or upset the status quo... you can expect some flak. Plus, you never know if you got the job that a local favorite did not. People could be giving you a hard time due to that. You will probably never really know the reasons for the underlying dynamics. You need to identify some allies (insiders). Here is a mistake that I have observed. The hotshot shows up with many new ideas. Some are good, and some are probably a bit niave (lack of local knowledge). You might need to step back and try to let others have a stake in the process. Most people take the point of view "What's in it for me". You can always take the safe route and implement the strategy that the CEO prefers. I am sure he show his cards!

If you are dilligent and you stick to your guns. Be above board and fair. You will prevail. Just do the appropriate CYA just in case. Don't blink... play the card game and the hand you have. But do not limit your future options or ideas to the current situation.

You always have another option that is open to you. Spend another year at the job and begin looking for an opportunity back home in the same company or another. You can always use the excuse that the UK relo was not what you and family expected (family support network, etc.). No one will question it. You can paint the opportunity as a growth opportunity that you can leverage back home. New insights, etc...

If the CEO of the sub is a real @ssh*le (got it in for you). You can pay back the favor when you get back to corporate. One or two bad years on the income, and he will be weak and on the ropes. Eventually that will happen!

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You don't sound tootimid to me. Honestly I stopped reading your short post when you said it quit being fun. Thats pretty much my story. Before starting (then ER'ing from) my own business I was a corporate climber and the higher I got, the clearer the view. I have a cast iron stomach, but what I saw made me sick. I don't need to write about any of it. You already get it. Grab the Maalox or run for your life!

In a panamax down by the river.
BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by tootimid
However, has anyone FiRED early and thought wow that is the best thing that happened even if it was below thier target income? Just curious.
Spouse did that by leaving active duty for the Reserves and delaying her pension by about 20 years. It works out to about $750K down the toilet.

Best decision she ever made. Life is good.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

One more data point for you. Similar situation for me only more compressed time frame (16 months) and a more challenging situation. I sold my very small startup biz to a small foreign public company last summer. A new CEO took over the day after we closed. He had nothing to do with the deal, and we have actually had several outright nasty encounters. This is the guy I directly report to. You would think with the typical thick skin required of building a startup from scratch this would be a cake walk, but I have gotten sick several times already. It's easy to talk about getting in the right frame of mind but not always easy to implement.

For what it is worth I am sticking it out unless I get canned sooner, I am limiting the amount of ridiculus BS I agree to, and I've aleady shifted my primary communication to other senior staff. I lost a bunch of weight this winter just to have control over something. :P At least there is 6000+ miles separation distance. My verdict is that no matter what decision you make there is always some price to pay. Best of luck. [the older brother of one of my partners just finished a tour as British Ambassador to Uzbekistan; now there is a tough job]

TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote