Join Early Retirement Today

Should I sell all these, pay capital gains taxes and then buy index funds
Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Should I sell all these, pay capital gains taxes and then buy index funds

I have these few individual stocks in one of my brokerage accounts. I'm thinking of selling them all and moving the money into my Vanguard account that is almost all VTSAX and VIMAX.

A couple of these are long term, other's short term. However, the net gain is so little I'm thinking of just selling and moving them all in one shot. Does that sound reasonable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brokerage.jpg (121.0 KB, 73 views)
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

As long as you don't mind paying the taxes, sure, why not?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #3

Or you could delay a bit to get everything into long term gain status, but the difference in taxes would probably be relatively small.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #4

That was my initial thought too but with a net gain of about $1k with probably about $250 tax is it a big deal? then again will moving this money into vanguard isn't paramount either since I'm doing it mainly for simplification and to keep dividends in my taxable account to a min.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd wait until the end of July to get LTG also, although the amount of money is relatively small. Personally it feels like a sideways market to me, and all of the stocks except for Berkshire pay well above dividends.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

The $ difference isn't enough to delay if it's what you want to do - with things like this, I have a tendency to lose momentum through over analysis and trying to optimize when in reality the magnitude of difference isn't worth the time I spend on it.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
gone traveling

If the difference is a big enough deal to you such that you felt the need to post it here, imo you aren't close to ER.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #8

I'll probably just go ahead and sell these off just to simplify the portfolio. I thought someone may have a better way of doing it (exchanging of funds) or advice for not doing anything at all since they are decent picks for dividends.

@gerntz, I'm not close to ER - about 10-12 years out.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Or don't pay any taxes: Give all shares with LT gains away to charity. Sell losers. Anything with short-term gains, use the losers to offset, then wait for rest go LT, then give away to charity.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #10

Those stocks are not bad picks, but if $18K - 20K is what you are willing to commit to stocks, I'd say you should probably sell them and put the money in mutual funds. Just wait a few months until all the gains are long term.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote