Should I stay or should I go?

Pete10k

Dryer sheet aficionado
Queue The Clash! :cool:

TD Ameritrade is one of my online brokers with a local office. Yesterday I received an invitation for drinks and dinner at my local Fleming’s steakhouse. I do love a good martini and steak but I’m a DIY DGI and not up for a hard sell on annuities, management services, etc. As long as our blue chip dividends keep coming in we’re in great shape.

Question: Would you go just for the free meal and if so what would you say when the inevitable questions start coming?

There is no free but you know that.

if you love a good martini and steak after listening to a 2 hour pitch, seated at a table for 8, with 7 strangers, most of whom now want to talk about that pitch (or not at all), served banquet style, and then get 17 follow up phone calls... sure!

It sounds like a better invite than most of the "lunch" ones I see, but mostly they look like the type of thing I'd be glad to get away from when it's over.

Actually I usually do go to the ones at Ruth Chris steakhouse or other higher end chains.
Once I have a little side chat with the speaker and he/she can't come up with truly good reasons for their fees, there is never any follow up calls or communication with me.

I'd buy my own dinner with my DW. It's not worth the aggravation for me.

Those invitations show up in my mail weekly. They are in the circular file thereafter to be recycled.

It’s your time. Waste it as you wish!

Agreed with most people. Not worth the hassle.

We went to one 10 20 years ago. But that is before we were FI. FI affords you the opportunity to say NO to BS. Whether it’s every day life or work place.

They are getting more clever in their advertising

I got a flyer in the mail the other day talking about “Retirement options in today’s world”. The body of the letter described social security strategies, 401Ks and IRAs, Roth’s, etc. Only after reading the fine print did it say anything about annuities. At that point I threw the flyer into recycling.

Excellent points! I think I’ll go have a martini and contemplate. It’s 5 o’clock somewhere. Cheers! ��

I rather have a nice meal at home than listen to some high-pressured sales pitch for a couple of hours!

Question: Would you go just for the free meal and if so what would you say when the inevitable questions start coming?

No, stay home. Why trade this kind of stress for cheap food?

We went to one selling time share condos in Maui about 35 years ago. Haven't been to another one and no plans either.

Back
Top Bottom