Signed up for Social Security

Their phone calling system is awful. If you don't pickup the first time they call you, good luck.

I posted earlier that I applied to start my SS benefit on 3/1/19. Online it says that it's still being processed with no other info. Today I got a letter in the mail from the Social Security Administration.

"An online transaction was recently attempted with your name and personal info. We need additional info... please call us at....within 10 days."

So I called the number, had to leave a message and quickly got a call back. He tells me that my application was flagged for possible fraud, no info why, but that I need to come into the local office with a photo ID. He wanted to set up an appointment and the closest one is May 7th! Don't worry, we will back pay for any delay in your benefit.

There is an office downtown in the nearest city, but there is no parking nearby, you have to use the meters on the street parking. I hope you can pay for a few hours because I expect there will be a wait, even with an appointment.

Or I can do a walk-in, sign in at the kiosk and wait. Might do that next week. We have another office that is farther but it's in a suburb and has adjacent parking. I called to see if this can be done at any office and haven't gotten a response, but I'm hopeful that any office can verify my ID.

This is annoying and seems unnecessary and then I remember a poster here who had fraud on her SS (I think this was Helen) and I'm willing to take care of this properly.

Quoting myself so that I can update...

I took care of this today. I had a Drs. appointment in the morning, came home for a quick lunch and then headed out to the suburban office with the adjacent parking. I signed in at the kiosk a little after 2:00. You have options for why you are there, nothing applied to my situation of "I just need to show a photo ID" so I picked OTHER. I got a ticket with a letter and a number. There were about 30 people already waiting in the office. I took one of the last open seats. Every few minutes a letter and number would be called, so I knew things were moving.

While sitting in the waiting area I talked to the guy in the next seat. He was there to get a replacement card. We talked about the parking at the downtown office. He reminded me that there is construction on the street with the meters and we had a chuckle over everybody coming to the suburban office because of the parking while nobody goes to the downtown office due to the parking situation. Sounds like the downtown office would be the place to go for fast service!

I waited just about an hour, which is not bad for a government office on a Monday afternoon! I went to the window and gave the man the letter I had gotten. My letter had the address of the downtown office and he had to call that office and transfer my account. That happened fast and he was able to see everything and verify my identity. He also verified other things on my account that I had entered when I applied online - address, DOB, DHs name and DOB.

I asked if he could tell why my application had been flagged. He said it was not because I had gotten a replacement card in 2006, but possibly because I had asked for the direct deposit to go to an online savings account. WHAT!? Is it that rare for someone to SAVE their money? Not sure if that makes much sense, but maybe he knows something!

He cancelled my appointment downtown in May and confirmed that I will get my first deposit on the 4th Wed. in April (my birthday is the 21st) and he confirmed the amount.

DONE!

Quoting myself so that I can update...

I asked if he could tell why my application had been flagged. He said it was not because I had gotten a replacement card in 2006, but possibly because I had asked for the direct deposit to go to an online savings account. WHAT!? Is it that rare for someone to SAVE their money? Not sure if that makes much sense, but maybe he knows something!

DONE!

This must be why both DW and I had our online filings flagged! Hope it can be taken care of over the phone tomorrow when SSA is scheduled to call me. Really after proving identity to get on the mySSA account and the questions you answer on the filing you would think an online savings account wouldn't be that irregular.

Thanks for the heads up on that one SueJ. Might save others from this rigamarole if they choose a regular bank. I guess then you could change it after deposits start to the online account. Or it mat still require a trip to the SS office.

Last edited:
This must be why both DW and I had our online filings flagged! Hope it can be taken care of over the phone tomorrow when SSA is scheduled to call me. Really after proving identity to get on the mySSA account and the questions you answer on the filing you would think an online savings account wouldn't be that irregular.

Thanks for the heads up on that one SueJ. Might save others from this rigamarole if they choose a regular bank. I guess then you could change it after deposits start to the online account. Or it mat still require a trip to the SS office.

Maybe online savings accounts don't have regular routing numbers and get flagged by the computer...?

ivinsfan, IDK about differences in routing numbers - ours seems pretty standard with Discover Bank. They are a registered bank entity like any local B&M facility.

Maybe because its going direct to savings instead of checking like probably the majority of SS checks?

ivinsfan, IDK about differences in routing numbers - ours seems pretty standard with Discover Bank. They are a registered bank entity like any local B&M facility.

Maybe because its going direct to savings instead of checking like probably the majority of SS checks?

How do they know the difference, that's what I was wondering...

Their phone calling system is awful. If you don't pickup the first time they call you, good luck.

I called back yesterday, spoke to the woman who’d emailed me, and we got my application processed in about 5 minutes or so. She was very pleasant and efficient.

When I logged in last night, I found my Benefits Verification letter, dated today, had already been posted.

I called back yesterday, spoke to the woman who’d emailed me, and we got my application processed in about 5 minutes or so. She was very pleasant and efficient.

When I logged in last night, I found my Benefits Verification letter, dated today, had already been posted.

That's nice....our experience was once you found someone to talk to things went smoothly...

Glad I asked for mine to go in our checking account.

I got a letter today, dated before my walk-in visit on Monday to the SSA office. It's confirming my appointment at the downtown office in May (that appt has already been canceled during my visit on Monday) and stating that the proof that I need to bring in is -

"Bank statement or checkbook for the account where you would like the payments deposited"

So that really is the issue! When I talked to the SS gentleman in the office on Monday he said he didn't know the specific reason in my case but that he knew that was one of the reasons applications could be flagged for fraud.

My online account says my claim is approved, the correct amount, the starting date of the 4th Wed of April and I have a Benefits Verification Letter.

Last edited:
I'm planning on starting SS at 62. I turn 62 later this this year on Oct 28th. When should I apply for SS and when does the first check come in?

I'm planning on starting SS at 62. I turn 62 later this this year on Oct 28th. When should I apply for SS and when does the first check come in?
According to the SSA, you can apply as early as four months before receiving benefits, meaning you could apply in June when you reach age 61 and 8 months:

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/

I believe you should receive your first check in December, but someone please correct me if that is not the case.

Last edited:
You can apply up to 4 months ahead, and you will get your first deposit 2 months after you turn 62. That's because you have to be eligible for a complete month, then get the check the following month. The date will depend on the first letter of your last name -- check ssa.gov for details.

If we apply for SS at 64, do we get check in 2 months? Do you have to apply 4 months before b-day regardless if you apply at 63, 64...66?

So I applied a month ago because my job is ending. Got a phone call I missed saying to call back which I did. They are calling because I have a pension that didn’t pay in. Maybe they are warning me that they will be keeping 60% of my SS but I already know that.

If we apply for SS at 64, do we get check in 2 months? Do you have to apply 4 months before b-day regardless if you apply at 63, 64...66?
The 2-month delay is only if you apply at 62; otherwise it's the next month. They suggest 4 months before you want payments to start, whenever that is. And remember, the only birthdays (or other dates) that matter are 62, FRA, and 70. Otherwise, start any month you want.

The 2-month delay is only if you apply at 62; otherwise it's the next month. They suggest 4 months before you want payments to start, whenever that is. And remember, the only birthdays (or other dates) that matter are 62, FRA, and 70. Otherwise, start any month you want.
Thanks, I couldn't find that specific information at SS website.

I got my conformation letter today from the SS office. Looks like I’m good to go. Thankfully all I had to do was the online form.

It doesn't have to make sense, it's the government. I'm 66 as I said born to American military in UK. In fact I'm mentioned by name in 66 year old Army paperwork. Came to the states when I was 2 and a half. The paper trail I have in this country is decades long and I've lived at the same address for 40 years. Filed taxes with this SS number since I was 18.

I had to "prove" my citizenship I took my US passport which I've had for 64 years and at the last minute threw i all the paperwork associated with my birth into my purse..the passport wasn't good enough, or not what they wanted, I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't had the original of the old paperwork (thanks Mom). If a passport doesn't prove you are a US citizen I don't know what does.

I too was born outside the USA but not to military parents. I accompanied DH when he filed for SS a few years ago and when the rep mentioned needing to see DH’s SS card, I mentioned I needed a replacement SS card. He said to bring my passport (it had to be current, not expired—and yes I remember tracking down my deceased mother’s birth certificate to get my first passport) and a drivers license or a utility bill proving address I think. He said the SS system software cannot recognize a place of birth that doesn’t fit into the two-letter state abbreviation so a rep had to manually approve the data, and it was good to get that done before I was filing for SS.

Not sure if your situation was caused by these issues (there were tons of kids born overseas to military parents back in the day who are now eligible to collect SS!—you would think the system could easily take care of them) but I was happy that my filing for SS benefits two years later went off without a glitch.

When I filled online they had me choose the month I want it to start so I chose July since I will be 65. I am missing FRA by 1 year.

I too was born outside the USA but not to military parents. I accompanied DH when he filed for SS a few years ago and when the rep mentioned needing to see DH’s SS card, I mentioned I needed a replacement SS card. He said to bring my passport (it had to be current, not expired—and yes I remember tracking down my deceased mother’s birth certificate to get my first passport) and a drivers license or a utility bill proving address I think. He said the SS system software cannot recognize a place of birth that doesn’t fit into the two-letter state abbreviation so a rep had to manually approve the data, and it was good to get that done before I was filing for SS.

Not sure if your situation was caused by these issues (there were tons of kids born overseas to military parents back in the day who are now eligible to collect SS!—you would think the system could easily take care of them) but I was happy that my filing for SS benefits two years later went off without a glitch.

You mentioned this was a few years ago and they might have tightened up a few of these rules. Perhaps the computer simply asks if the applicant has any other verifying paperwork. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't had the supporting papers, maybe nothing.

You mentioned this was a few years ago and they might have tightened up a few of these rules. Perhaps the computer simply asks if the applicant has any other verifying paperwork. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't had the supporting papers, maybe nothing.

Yes, it was four years ago that I had my SS card replaced; and different reps of course might interpret requirements differently. In two years I’ll go back and switch to claiming under my own record so fingers crossed that the documentation will hold!

Back
Top Bottom