Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Silver market cracked this morning
Old 04-20-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Silver market cracked this morning

The front month future is down 10%! So much for being a safe haven. I hope any of you with lots of silver have been nimble...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Silver market cracked this morning
Old 04-20-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

and falling, Gold and Platinum down, too. What's driving this?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

This proves precious metals are not a safe haven?

Not worried.* It is one of the most volatile investments you can make, up and down.

Gold supposedly falling on strength of the dollar. Yep, I really see the ol' greenback just zooming in value ...

Quote:
11:00AM Silver futures lead broad metals decline; gold drops $20 by Myra P. Saefong
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- May silver dropped $1.822, or 12.6%, to $12.70 an ounce in New York, leading a broad decline among the metals futures. June gold sank $20, or 3.1%, to $616 an ounce after reaching a record $645 earlier in the session. "This originated in the silver pits," said Jon Nadler, an analyst at Kitco.com. There's "major profit-taking by funds that had loaded up ... in anticipation of the silver ETF," he said, and since the ETF still has not seen the light of day, "funds decided not to be pigs and took some money off the table."
Quote:
Gold futures turned lower on strength in the dollar. The benchmark June contract was last down $15.50 at $620.50 an ounce.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

of course it will go down, but then, it will go up again. As Charles had mention, it is the most volatile market. Lots of factors can affect its movement.
Nevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

It was just profit taking, after the 25 years highs. Gold dropped to $614 this morning and now as I write, is back up to $622 and climbing.
camberiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'd guess this is just the inevitable correction after silver shot up from ~$10 to over $14 in a few weeks for no particlarly obvious reason. *The greater fool theory at work.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #7

This is easily explained as speculators speculating that speculators would speculate on the speculations of speculating speculators.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Read this title and hit VGPMX within .001 second on my quote screen. Whew, looks stable.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
This is easily explained as speculators speculating that speculators would speculate on the speculations of speculating speculators.
Funny,

Do you know any form of financial investment that is not "speculation"?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #10

yes, investing in a diamond wedding ring! No speculation at all about how much that's gonna cost ya.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
yes, investing in a diamond wedding ring! No speculation at all about how much that's gonna cost ya.
You need to speak with some divorced folks that I know
Old 04-20-2006, 12:55 PM   #12

Wait, isn't a diamond forever?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:59 PM   #13

probably not pc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frau%20Ring.jpg (28.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 04-21-2006, 05:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Wait, isn't a diamond forever?
So is bitter feeling of separation or joy of togetherness. If you are still thinking about marrying the Asian women from the Phillipines, the cost will be more than that of a diamond ring. However, if the marriage do work out as expected, it may be a wise investment. One cannot place a monentary value to relationship.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question about silver.

Long ago and far away, I think around 1970, I purchased some silver bars.* (What was I thinking ) I think the name on them is Englehard or something like that.

I'd like to sell them and buy some toys.* Anyone experienced with this and have any experience doing so?*I stopped by the local strip mall coin shop and the guy behind the counter just rolled his eyes and sent me and my shoebox (heavy) full of silver on my way.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

youbet - I just went through the same process, unloading some silver I'd bought about 15 years ago. (Likewise - what was I thinking?)

I couldn't find any local coin/bullion dealers who wanted to buy, except for one that was part of a strange gun shop/pawn shop/bullion shop conglomerate.

Several dealers pointed me at AJPM (www.ajpm.com) and they were who I ended up selling to. Shipping was expensive, but even so, I got a much better deal than the local shop would have given me.

A close second choice would be Kitco.

Good luck, SC
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:29 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Thanks SC!

Did they charge you anything for testing?

BTW, just to punish myself, I compared the growth of my "investment" in these silver bars with the hypothetical growth of the same dollar investment in the S&P 500 made 35 years ago.* I'm sure you can guess the outcome!* ** It's a good thing the rest of my "investments" worked better than this!*
Old 04-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question about silver.
Hey, cut that out! This thread has come home to sex.

Ha
Old 04-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Did they charge you anything for testing?
Nope. But I was selling US 90% silver coins, which might be handled differently.

Quote:
BTW, just to punish myself, I compared the growth of my "investment" in these silver bars with the hypothetical growth of the same dollar investment in the S&P 500 made 35 years ago. I'm sure you can guess the outcome! It's a good thing the rest of my "investments" worked better than this!
Now that you brought this up, I had to go do the same. My silver appreciated 77% in the time that VTSMX went up 128% and the CPI rose 30%. So, it wasn't a great move, but it could have been worse. I feel pretty lucky to have gotten rid of it and made a small profit besides.

In case anybody is thinking of buying some - silver is a real pain to buy, sell, and store, because of it's high weight-to-value ratio. And there's the same drawbacks as other metals - no interest or dividends; on average I'd expect them to keep up with inflation (plus a little for increasing demand by an increasing population). Plus, the IRS considers bullion a "collectible" and taxes it at a higher rate, although it seems a lot of folks A) report their bullion gains under the normal tax rates anyway, and B) talk about that openly on usenet...

SC

SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:58 PM   #20

youbet: I would hunt around for a better coin shop. Those strip mall ones may not be quite right with this sort of thing. They make their money on coin sales and tend to focus on that end of things. Look in a a seedier neighborhood or a larger town. Really! Sometimes the older codgers running them will have their own network for resale. You've got the good stuff, all marked and weighed up. You should get very close to full price. They make it up selling it at a premium to someone else.

If that doesn't work, Google "gold and silver refiners." You should find a buyer fairly near you. They usually list buy prices and a telephone number. They may recommend a refiner closer to you if you ask. They'll cut you a check on delivery. Maybe negotiate with them a bit; they refine it into what you've got. May be a nice two hour trip.

Bad idea though to my mind. I think you're selling early. So, what could you buy if it goes to $50 or $100oz on this decade's run?