Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree with those suggesting it's rarely a good idea to time the market. I know that I'm no good at it. DCA is a very specific method which has advantages and disadvantages - but it's not a "buy on the dips" kind of a process. I have now told you way more than I know on the subject - as usual, so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I could have 10 2% "dips" it would be great ... roll in 10% each time ...I see the biggest issue with this approach as relating to HOW LONG it takes to get sufficient number of littles dips for it to make sense ...if it happened in two months would be great ... BUT, if it takes three years and the market is generally up, then is bad :-)

FZDXX is better than nada ... bit less than 1% a year ... but very short at average maturity of 47 days.

SPRXX lower yield than FZDXX, but also 47 days average maturity.

VCSH around 2% yield, but much longer maturity - 2.5-3 years, I think.

All good options - still looking ... thanks!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Give up on the dip thing, it is a losing proposition.
-- If it made sense, you could buy on dips and sell on "ups" and make a lot of money. But in reality, a "dip" is only evident in retrospect. In the moment, it is impossible to tell if a 1% dip will correct back the next day, or if it the first day of a 25% decline.
-- You can prove this yourself for free in about an hour. Set up a spreadsheet with your "amount to be invested". Then, go back to a random date in the past and look at the market closing. Then look at the next day. Dip? Ready to put 10% of your dough into the market? No going back. Now, look at the next day's close. Invest (more) now? Keep doing this until all your money is invested. You probably won't even need to do any comparisons to other methods, by the time you are done you'll have seen the problems with this approach.
-- If this is going into the markets for decades, a tiny advantage of buying 1% cheaper (if you could even achieve that) will hardly be noticeable. Stock prices will probably be going up and down through your "purchase price" several times. Just the missed dividends can easily make the game a loser.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Right now, I'm comfortable regardless of what happens. No way I'd jump in, regardless of method but wish those that are good returns. Guess you have to decide how much of a loss your willing to accept should it go south? And how long your willing to wait til it returns? Twice, I've taken 50% losses over the yrs. Just not willing to do it again as long I feel our futures are comfortable??
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
How do you know when it's a "down period?" It seems like only history will tell. DCA is set it and forget it! Good luck whatever you do.
My neighbor (who is smarter than everyone else...just ask her) cashed out her entire portfolio the third week of February 2009.

When she sells again, that should indicate the bottom of the down period. I'll let everyone here know.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #26

[emoji23]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My neighbor (who is smarter than everyone else...just ask her) cashed out her entire portfolio the third week of February 2009.

When she sells again, that should indicate the bottom of the down period. I'll let everyone here know.
Yep, I did a similar thing back in '75. Fortunately, Megacorp stock continued to pile up in the 401(k) and made my FIRE dreams come true. Sometimes doing everything wrong can still lead to a blessed outcome. I'd rather be lucky than good. Not recommending it, mind you.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Give up on the dip thing, it is a losing proposition.
-- If it made sense, you could buy on dips and sell on "ups" and make a lot of money. But in reality, a "dip" is only evident in retrospect. In the moment, it is impossible to tell if a 1% dip will correct back the next day, or if it the first day of a 25% decline.
-- You can prove this yourself for free in about an hour. Set up a spreadsheet with your "amount to be invested". Then, go back to a random date in the past and look at the market closing. Then look at the next day. Dip? Ready to put 10% of your dough into the market? No going back. Now, look at the next day's close. Invest (more) now? Keep doing this until all your money is invested. You probably won't even need to do any comparisons to other methods, by the time you are done you'll have seen the problems with this approach.
A problem with this kind of backtesting is that you have to be scrupulously honest with yourself. No cheating! It's easy to fool yourself that somehow you "see" the future in the data and wait simply because you already know that a bigger down day is coming.

If you automate the spreadsheet to use some criteria, then that makes the process honest. But then you get into the "data mining" problem. You tune your criteria to get optimal results for some past period, but that doesn't mean it will be optimal in the future.

It's a tricky business.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I'd suggest dumping it in on a schedule AND buying more on dips. But the OP said they don't want to use a schedule. Oh, well.

I've studied this dip thing and also buy on dips, such as May 17 (see LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter). Things like May 17th only happen about 3 to 5 times a year or less, so one has to invest on a schedule whether a dip occurs or not.

The thing I bought on May 17 (see http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1882918) is now up 5.8%. It is best to have an Asset Allocation Plan and stick to it with perhaps some fun trading on the dips.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #30

That's what I did, buy a little bit regularly, and buy more when it dips.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I see a problem with buying on dips. Let say you start on Jan 1st and plan to buy on a 2% dip. Six months go by and the market increases by 10%. Suddenly, you get a 2% dip and buy. But in reality it's up 8% from Jan 1st. (7.8% to be exact).
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:20 PM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

To answer your question, if I am holding a large amount of cash that I want to be immediately available at an undetermined future point in time, I park it in a savings account with up to $250,000 per bank. The $250,000 limit per bank is to get full FDIC coverage. So if you have more than that, you need to open an account with more than one bank. Discover, ally, goldman sachs savings bank, and a handful of other banks compete with each other to have the highest savings rate. GSBank is currently offering 1.2%. You just sign up online, transfer via ACH from your current bank, and start collecting interest. When you are ready to use that amount, you transfer out the balance to your bank via ACH, or ask for a check, and close that account. Easy peasy. I stay away from CDs (because they tie up your money) and bond funds (because they can go and probably will go down). Money market funds like the ones at Fidelity and Vanguard are not FDIC insured, but these giants are unlikely to go bankrupt anytime soon, so the difference between 0.8% and 1.2% may not be worth the effort depending on how much you are talking about. But you are still paying fees with money market funds and personally, I loathe paying fees no matter how miniscule, so I have personally gone through the trouble of opening up one or more savings accounts.

With regard to buying the dips, I agree with others, that you should probably not try it unless you know what you are doing. I would say the best course of action is to put a time limit on yourself. So try to "buy the dips" as best you can for the next 12 months, and if you still have anything left after 12 months, commit yourself to putting the remainder in all at once.

Also, buying on 2% dips is not a rational strategy for market timing because it is too small of a change. What happens between those 2% dips is likely to be much more significant. Buying on a 10-20% dip is a more rational approach, but you have to recognize you may not see that for years, and in the meantime the market may rise much more than 10% while your cash is sitting in a savings account earning a measly 1.2%. You also need the guts to buy when that dip occurs, because a lot of people will be saying that the market is for sure going to continue going down another 10% at least, and they may be right. If you do want to try to time the market, all that matters is your overall opinion on the direction of the market. If you think it is going down then you wait till it goes down to what you think it should be at. Your opinions need to be based on facts or better yet, numbers, that can be tracked. But above all, you have to recognize that you may be wrong with your opinion. Therefore set a time limit for yourself and keep it. If you are wrong, cest la vie, dump the rest in a low cost index fund and go to the beach.
rvbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I see a problem with buying on dips. Let say you start on Jan 1st and plan to buy on a 2% dip. Six months go by and the market increases by 10%. Suddenly, you get a 2% dip and buy. But in reality it's up 8% from Jan 1st. (7.8% to be exact).
^+1 Exactly what I was thinking.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I think one should be fully invested at all times. When a "dip" comes, then one should exchange from bond funds to equity funds in order to buy low.

When the recovery of the dip happens, then one can reverse the trade. If the dip continues and there is no "recovery of the dip", then one can buy on that dip too, by exchanging more bond fund shares to equity funds.

Backtesting shows this works pretty well most of the time. One just has to stay out of cash.

So buying on the dip does not mean waiting for a dip to buy. Get it?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #35

Buy a chunk of your AA (say 35-60%; see rvbound's post on the rationale for this), then dollar cost average in. OK to accelerate dca on dips.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
OK - OK :-)

Guess I'm gonna have to be non-purist this time.

I'm going to look for 10 down periods and roll 10% or so each time into equities ...

I get it that I need to have my AA all decided ... but, I don't ... :-)

I'm working on it ....
Look back at the previous helpful responses. Can you see that what you just posted makes no sense whatsoever? Future down periods cannot be determined w/o a crystal ball. W/o an AA, where are you going? (Yogi Berra? - "If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there")

You can't be helped here until you decide what you want. Pick an AA, it's not rocket surgery, anything from 40/60 to 95/5 has had similar success rates historically. Then dump the funds there. If that is emotionally stressful, then REALLY DCA in over a year or two, not at perceived 'dips'.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

For me MINT has acceptable risk and reward as place to hold cash.
perrytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Safest way to keep principle is just put it in high yield online savings. currently 1.3% .. which is better than some of the ideas posted.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Safest way to keep principle is just put it in high yield online savings. currently 1.3% .. which is better than some of the ideas posted.
With inflation running 2+%, your principal isn't being kept, it is being eroded away.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
... where does everyone keep funds they are going to shift to equities, or even long bonds, but haven't, yet?
Nowhere. When I decide to shift into equities, I just do it.

Oh, except when my crystal ball is working. Those times, I look to see when the next future bottom is, and buy then.

Long time ago I was in an investment club, and we had the converse experience. We wanted to sell a stock but it had recently gone down from $7 to $5, so we decided to wait until it got back to 7 and then sell.

When it went to 3, we decided to sell it when it got back to 5.
etc.
at the last step, it went to 3/16 and we decided to sell it when it got back to 1/2.

Moral of the story--you never know what the prices are going to do. Just saying "I will wait for a dip" doesn't mean that a dip will happen.
rayvt is online now   Reply With Quote