Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Sizing the Housing Bubble
Old 08-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
Strong luxury condo sales and the only reason SFR sales are down is because of no inventory.*

That's why I skeptable of them figgers and graphs.*

Call me Honobull
You're probably right, Honobull.* *Sales down 26% YoY?* Prices down month to month?* Inventory levels up 100% YoY (highest levels since 1999)?* Honolulu is obviously in the clear when it comes to this crazy bubble talk.*

But you might want to consider this: when nobody can afford to enter the market (no inventory!?), where is the pool of upgrade buyers going to come from?* *And do you think there's any chance that those new condo buyers might be (gawd forbid) flippers?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2006, 11:37 PM   #342
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

But you might want to consider this: when nobody can afford to enter the market (no inventory!?), where is the pool of upgrade buyers going to come from?* *And do you think there's any chance that those new condo buyers might be (gawd forbid) flippers?
Nope it's all good!* Market needs to provide at least 26% more entry level SFR's to equalize.* Maybe* not the best time to hold high end properties, but is it ever. " Metric" Best to own the smallest home in the neighborhood.* Flippers are in the ocean.* Most highrise highend new construction is sold by lottery only to owner occupants.*

Akamaibob

Old 08-02-2006, 01:19 AM   #343
Moderator Emeritus

We'll have a better picture in a year or so. If I had the cash for it and didn't need to free it up anytime soon, I would buy a luxury condo in Hawaii myself, but because I want to spend time there, not as an investment. Interest rates alone are a big turn off for me right now.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #344
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Yup.* And the recent changes to the BK law make it more likely that the lender will go after the defaulted borrower for the difference between the proceeds from the sale of the house and the amount owed.
Maybe not. Some states allow a quicker and easier foreclosure process if the lender gives up a deficiency. Most states provide that if you take a deed in lieu of foreclosure you must give up the deficiency. Most often the lender goes for speed. Often lenders just want to get the loan off their books.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #345
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Maybe not.* Some states allow a quicker and easier foreclosure process if the lender gives up a deficiency. Most* states provide that if you take a deed in lieu of foreclosure you must give up the deficiency.* Most often the lender goes for speed.* Often lenders just want to get the loan off their books.
Interesting. My suspicion is that lenders will probably not find it worth the trouble to go after the deficiencies anway. After all, homeowners wouldn't default on the loan if they had a pile of ready cash laying around.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #346
Moderator Emeritus

Another reason to believe that the housing bubble is bursting. This thread has had 10743 views as of this post.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #347
Full time employment: Posting here.

Newspaper reported today that 2006 is the first time in 14 years that real estate prices rose year-on-year in Japan as a national average. (Limited pockets had started recovering previously.)

14 years from peak to trough.

But, it can't happen over there in the US, so don't worry.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #348

Quote:
Another reason to believe that the housing bubble is bursting. This thread has had 10743 views as of this post.
One of my points exactly. If you, (and everyone else) is talking about it. It WILL happen. Seen most TV news broadcasts lately? Inbetween the wars and a sick Castro that is.

SWR
Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #349
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Weeeellll...the mineshaft canary just chirped a little. I had reported that developement had all but stopped here, some homes that look like they'd been built-to-suit ended up foreclosed on without being lived in, and then theres the famous "house for sale via piece of white paper and crayon sign on the garage door".

But...yesterday the KBHOME up the street from me plowed a 20 acre field and marked it off...

Not sure if they were just trying to make it pretty or if they're going to start another 100 homes...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #350

There is no telling when a bust will occur. The following links about the Hong Kong and Shanghai housing markets may shed some light on the afrermath of run-ups fueled by massive speculation.

Attention, Speculators: Here's a Lesson from Hong Kong's Housing:
http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/a...articleid=1194

Shanghai Housing Boom Turning to Bust:
http://www.china.org.cn/english/BAT/151997.htm
Old 08-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #351
Give me a forum ...

I was taking a look at some condos down in Galveston... way overpriced, but it seems they were being bought... so, to my surprise..

PRICED $21,000 UNDER DEVELOPER'S ASKING PRICE FOR COMPARABLE UNIT!!! Beautiful, large 1 bedroom 1 bath with ALL NEW granite countertops in kitchen and bath, 24' ceramic tile in living and dining area. Tile in bedroom as well for easy care. ALL NEW stainless appliances, new full size washer and dryer. Unit overlooks the pool and has an unobstructed view of the Gulf of Mexico. THIS UNIT HAS NEVER BEEN LIVED IN. MOVE IN NOW AND ENJOY THE SUMMER!! Owner is a licensed Real Estate Agent

Hmmm.. still way overpriced for a 750 foot place for $210K...
Old 08-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #352
gone traveling

O'ahu median home price hits $660,000 in July

Advertiser Staff

The median price for both single-family homes and condominiums on O'ahu rose in July, although the volume of sales continued to decline, the Honolulu Board of Realtors reported today.
The median price of a single-family home rose to $660,000 from $639,000 in June and $599,000 in July 2005. The median price of a condominium rose to a record $329,000, up from $310,000 in June and $270,000 in July 2005.

"The pace of residential sales continues to ease, and median prices are being maintained," said Mary Flood, president of the Honolulu Board of Realtors.

There were 379 single-family homes sold during July, down 10 percent from 418 sales a year in the same month a year earlier. Condo sales totaled 498 in July, down 27 percent from a year earlier.

For the first seven months of 2006, sales volume is down 9 percent for single-family homes and down 13 percent for condominiums.

Reported in Honolulu Advertiser today.

Lucky you live Hawaii!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #353

Quote:
And remind us, what's the median income in O'ahu?

Honobobble, the same thing is being played out in markets across the country. Sales down. Inventory way up. Prices flat. When inventory gets to about 6 months of sales or so, that's generally when you start to see price drops. You should see it sooner in new construction, since builders don't want to hold onto inventory as long.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #354
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
And remind us, what's the median income in O'ahu?

Honobobble, the same thing is being played out in markets across the country.* *Sales down.* Inventory way up.* *Prices flat.* *When inventory gets to about 6 months of sales or so, that's generally when you start to see price drops.* * You should see it sooner in new construction, since builders don't want to hold onto inventory as long.

Median income rising also!* Honolulu has about the lowest unemployment in the U.S.* Honolulu's entry level inventory is not meeting DEMAND.* I think 6-7% increase YOY, especially when the last year was a record year, is pretty good.* From my experience back in January and April alot of the excess inventory was from people who who sell if they got some rediculous amount that wasn't supported by the comps.* Anything priced well is selling at record prices despite the bubble blab.* I see nothing alarming about sales slowing down after consecutive record years.* New construction between Waikiki and Downtown is going strong.* Maybe Don Ho's right in a few years...."Tiny Bubbles"* It's got a good beat and I can dance to that!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #355

Quote:
Median income rising also!* Honolulu has about the lowest unemployment in the U.S.
I really don't know much about that market, and I'm too lazy to look it up.* *But, let's say that the median household income there is $80K/year.* *The median house costs $660K, so that's an income multiple of 8.25x.* *The historical multiple for the US is around 3x.* *So, either home prices need to get cut in half, or incomes need to more than double for things to get back to normal.

Now, it's valid to ask "why be normal?"* *What's magic about an income multiple of 3x?

For that median income family to buy that median price house, they'd need to come up with a down payment $66,000.* *That's a chunk of cash.* *And that would give them PITI payments of nearly $5000/mo.* * That's $60,000/year for a family earning $80,000/year.

Either these prices are unsustainable, or incomes are going to the moon.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Now, it's valid to ask "why be normal?"* *What's magic about an income multiple of 3x?
wab,

I have been using the 3x number as the ceiling whenever I discuss house price with others.* But a lot of the people I talk to live in California and Mass.* They just shake their head and dismiss my comment as childish and unrealistic.* I find it best to keep that ratio to myself now.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I have been using the 3x number as the ceiling whenever I discuss house price with others.* But a lot of the people I talk to live in California and Mass.* They just shake their head and dismiss my comment as childish and unrealistic.* I find it best to keep that ratio to myself now.
Well, to be fair, there are a couple of places where the historical multiple has been over 3x. For example, I think it's been closer to 5x in Silicon Valley due to stock options providing instant down payments, but even in those "rich" areas, current multiples are well above the historical mean.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #358
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
wab,

I have been using the 3x number as the ceiling whenever I discuss house price with others. But a lot of the people I talk to live in California and Mass. They just shake their head and dismiss my comment as childish and unrealistic. I find it best to keep that ratio to myself now.
Not just CA and MA. Lot's of coastal seller denial to go around right now. I've been tracking some NC coastal waterfront closely for a few years. It's fun to watch actually. A few low ball offers coming in but sellers are just not ready to throw in the towel. Wonder how they will feel next year when the cash reserves start drying up? Brokers and RE support people that I talk to are clearly feeling the pain NOW.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I really don't know much about that market, and I'm too lazy to look it up. But, let's say that the median household income there is $80K/year. The median house costs $660K, so that's an income multiple of 8.25x. The historical multiple for the US is around 3x. So, either home prices need to get cut in half, or incomes need to more than double for things to get back to normal.

Now, it's valid to ask "why be normal?" What's magic about an income multiple of 3x?

For that median income family to buy that median price house, they'd need to come up with a down payment $66,000. That's a chunk of cash. And that would give them PITI payments of nearly $5000/mo. That's $60,000/year for a family earning $80,000/year.

Either these prices are unsustainable, or incomes are going to the moon.
The bigger they are the harder they fall. I seem to remember last time this happened. not sure when but something like this is in the Islands past.

SWR
Old 08-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #360
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You're on your own, here, Bob, and I'm pretty sure that Stott thinks it's over too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote