Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Sizing the Housing Bubble
Old 06-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
Cool.* Lets all move to texas!!
Please don't. Y'all inflate everything everywhere!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So what you're saying is "Please dont move here and make my house worth twice as much"?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:14 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny
Cool. Lets all move to texas!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Please don't. Y'all inflate everything everywhere!
Now, now Eagle43. Don't be so inhospitable. Here's some new Texas waterfront property Californians should be encouraged to buy. Make em feel like they never left home!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WEATHER/06/1....ap/index.html

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

I would not want to be in this poor guy's situation:

Quote:
In 2002, Christopher Jones, 32, refinanced into a hybrid ARM with plans to refinance again when the rate started to readjust. At the time, his downtown Atlanta house appraised for $108,000.

Now, his monthly payments have shot up, but Jones can't sell his house for more than $84,000 and he can't get an appraisal for more than $85,000.

The appraisal firm told Jones that the value of houses in his neighborhood have fallen victim to a cooling market. With no other options left, Jones has decided to pack it in and foreclose on the house.

"I'm just going to take the loss," he said. "That's all I can do."
And this is in Atlanta, not nearly as inflated as SoCal, which also has the highest percentage of ARMs in the nation. Something tells me this will be happening to a lot more people very soon.
link
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritasophia
I would not want to be in this poor guy's situation:

"In 2002, Christopher Jones, 32, refinanced into a hybrid ARM with plans to refinance again when the rate started to readjust. At the time, his downtown Atlanta house appraised for $108,000.

Now, his monthly payments have shot up, but Jones can't sell his house for more than $84,000 and he can't get an appraisal for more than $85,000."

And this is in Atlanta, not nearly as inflated as SoCal, which also has the highest percentage of ARMs in the nation. Something tells me this will be happening to a lot more people very soon.
link
Just add a zero and you have SoCal!

My big bad scary ARM is getting ready to readjust up to a whopping 4.75% for the next two years. Not sure how I'm going to handle the extra $79 in monthly payments... I may just have to pay off the mortgage!

Old 06-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey
I live in VA, just outside of DC.* My townhouse development right now has about 10 units for sale (out of 100), and they are not selling very fast.* And the prices being asked for are down about 5-8% from this time last year.

Glad I plan to stay put for awhile!

Karen
Honestly, I hope prices keep dropping in Northern Virginia. They have a long, long way to get down to a realistic range again.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #87

Quote:
I hope prices keep dropping
... no doubt a prospective home owner
Old 06-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
When Dora Angel of DeSoto, Texas bought her first home in 2003, she paid $141,000 for the brand new three-bedroom, two-bath home. At the time, her mortgage payment was $1,400 a month.

DeSoto originally thought that she had a fixed-rate loan. But about five months ago, she noticed that her monthly payment kicked up to $1,900.
Unbelievable. I was going to make some incredulous comment about how people could expose their homes to a bet on interest rates, but for those who don't even know what kind of loan they have, I guess it is a moot point...

I have sympathy for the confusion facing a first-time buyer, though I would expect a little more aggressiveness in checking the terms of the loan than this from anyone. And isn't the bank required to explain at least the basic terms some time before the signing?

Old 06-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #89

You just know there IS a bubble and that it WILL burst, maybe small with a "poof" or big with a KABOOOM!

Why, if you talk about it enought, brood about it enough, it WILL happen.

During the last 6 months the talking heads on CNN, FOX HeadlineNews etc. have been pitching some kind of decline, and has been newsworthy nearly every day.

Also, you should have seen the article in out local paper. Inventories up over 300% since this time last year.

SWR
Old 06-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #90

I am not sure what all the fuss is about ARM's? Maybe a case of non-homeowners schadenfruede?? I live in So-cal and I have a neg-am adjustable rate mortgqge - and I have had it for about 4 years.- during that time I have saved (and invested) over $100,000 that would have gone to interest payments versus a fixed rate loan. When I first got the loan it had a start rate of 1.00% , and a mortgage balance of 640K. I never made more than the minimum payments during that time. Now after 15 or so consecutive rate increases my mortgage balance has ballooned all the way to 643K.. : Seriously, speaking only for myself, I can easily afford much higher payments if I had too- I simply choose not to. My income is high and I live well below my means. For me the savings over the last 4 years were well worth the interest rate risk. My home appraised a few months ago at over 1.250 million - so I am not worried if the loan balance increases and the value of real estate drops 10 or 20 percent, not worried at all. To be honest with you folks, since everyone seems to think rates are going higher and that we are in a bubble - I am convinced rates are going lower and prices of homes higher! I have found that the herd is almost ALWAYS wrong. I say: Bubble Schmubble!!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I am convinced rates are going lower and prices of homes higher! I have found that the herd is almost ALWAYS wrong. I say: Bubble Schmubble!!
What's the name of that river running through Egypt...?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
What's the name of that river running through Egypt...?
What was it, the It'sDifferentThisTime River, or the ItCan'tHappenHere River, something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I am not sure what all the fuss is about ARM's? Maybe a case of non-homeowners schadenfruede??
More like Schadenangst, I suspect. If mass defaults occur, a lot more people will end up suffering, due to knock-on effects, than just the homeowners. For someone in your financial position, ARMs are fine. You can't really get hurt. For someone who got wedged into something the risks of which they didn't really understand, like the woman in the article above, it is a landmine.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:21 PM   #93

hows about the 'I am not selling and dont care' about short term results in the housing market' river..... sounds like a pretty good river to me
Old 06-20-2006, 01:55 AM   #94

south fla business journal reports may results for broward county florida (greater fort lauderdale area) http://tinyurl.com/pxh7g

The median sales price for a single-family home was $365,000 in May, up 4 percent from $350,000 at the same time last year...The median sales price of a condominium-townhouse in May was $209,250, up 11 percent from May 2005, when the median price was $188,000.

Association researchers said 9,537 single-family homes were available in May, up nearly 300 percent from 2,412 in the same month the year before. The condominium-townhouse inventory was 12,297, up 383 percent from May 2005 when the market had 2,547 units available.

in related stories the paper also shows single family up in april 4% while march was up 17% over same months of prior year.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum

http://tinyurl.com/pxh7g

The median sales price for a single-family home was $365,000 in May, up 4 percent from $350,000 at the same time last year...The median sales price of a condominium-townhouse in May was $209,250, up 11 percent from May 2005, when the median price was $188,000.

Association researchers said 9,537 single-family homes were available in May, up nearly 300 percent from 2,412 in the same month the year before. The condominium-townhouse inventory was 12,297, up 383 percent from May 2005 when the market had 2,547 units available.

This doesn't sound right.* How can price goes up (albeit by a small %) when inventory has tripled?* Playing with numbers to downplay the severity?

Sam
Old 06-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #96

My sister and her husband live in Irvine, CA.* They brought a house there 8 years ago.* Today the house is worth 3 times as much.* *How can I convince them to sell the house and pocket the profit?* Should I even try?* The profit from that house would be at least twice as much as their combined saving today.

I have the feeling that they would think of me as a negative, pessimistic person.* Worse, they might think that I'm trying to stop them from being even richer (some of their neighbors are already millionaires based on the equity of their house.)

Sam
Old 06-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
How can price goes up (albeit by a small %) when inventory has tripled?* Playing with numbers to downplay the severity?
If logic applied to real estate sales then only Vulcans would have real estate licenses.

We see that in Hawaii, too. *Prices continue to rise for a few months after the inventory explodes. *Part of that lagging indicator is caused by sales closing 30-60 days after the price is set, and part of it is caused by inventory jumping up the very next day after a price increase as fence-sitting homeowners say "Golly gee, Mabel, look what we can get for this piece of crap beyootiful homestead!"

These situations have a way of showing their true colors between Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
My sister and her husband lived in Irvine, CA. They brought a house there 8 years ago. Today the house is worth 3 times as much. How can I convince them to sell the house and pocket the profit? Should I even try? The profit from that house would be at least twice as much their combined saving today.
I have the feeling that they would think of me as a negative, pessimistic person. Worse, they might think that I'm trying to stop them from being even richer (some of their neighbors are already millionaires based on the equity of their house.)
Your instincts are sound. At best you'll be an annoying bean-counter, at worst you'll piss them off.

Our home has doubled in value, but while we might realize a huge profit from its sale there's no way we can benefit from selling it. What would we do, go through the hassle of moving only to end up paying higher rent for the next decade? Or leaving Hawaii with our equity profits only to end up buying a home in Texas?

We can't duplicate this home, in its location & ambiance, even at its current price. When I die I want my spouse to bury my cremated remains right here in our compost pile, where my true fertilizing benefits can finally be spread far & wide!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
At best you'll be an annoying bean-counter, ...
I can only hope that Irvine will not see what Florida is seeing.* But I know that's not realistic.

Sam
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
This doesn't sound right. How can price goes up (albeit by a small %) when inventory has tripled? Playing with numbers to downplay the severity?

Sam
The stats are also year-over-year increases. If the "peak" of the bubble was in November 2005, then you won't see the decreases in year over year prices till ~ november 2006.

Looking at month to month stats would be more appropriate if you wanted to check the current market trends in real-time.

My theory as to why prices remain high in spite of ever-growing inventory is the sellers who are in denial that the party is over and their house is now "worth" less, however they refuse to lower prices. Eventually they find a buyer that will pay what they are asking. In the meantime, units are sitting on the market for a long time.

There may also be a panic sell as people realize that they need to sell while the selling is still good (and this would further flood the market, forcing prices down).

This thing will take years to unwind.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
My theory as to why prices remain high in spite of ever-growing inventory is the sellers who are in denial that the party is over and their house is now "worth" less, however they refuse to lower prices.* Eventually they find a buyer that will pay what they are asking.* In the meantime, units are sitting on the market for a long time.*
Makes sense to me.

Sam