Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Small Ways to save big??
Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,247
Small Ways to save big??

I found this on Yahoo:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/986227 Small ways to save big.

There is really nothing new in there for this crowd. I was wondering though, how $60 kids jeans are a bargain when they are on sale for $20?? I've never owned a pair of $60 jeans, whether priced at $60 or from the bargain basket outside the outlet store. Most of the jeans I buy are regularly priced at $20 or less, and even better when on sale. Last pair of jeans I recall buying were $12.96 at wally world. Khakis and Chinos are also bought at an outlet, usually for about $20. I think the folks that wrote this column need some expert advice on LBYM (from this forum...)

R
__________________

__________________
Find Joy in the Journey...
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I found this on Yahoo:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/986227 Small ways to save big.

There is really nothing new in there for this crowd. I was wondering though, how $60 kids jeans are a bargain when they are on sale for $20?? I've never owned a pair of $60 jeans, whether priced at $60 or from the bargain basket outside the outlet store. Most of the jeans I buy are regularly priced at $20 or less, and even better when on sale. Last pair of jeans I recall buying were $12.96 at wally world. Khakis and Chinos are also bought at an outlet, usually for about $20. I think the folks that wrote this column need some expert advice on LBYM (from this forum...)

R
I guess I can agree to disagree. While I am an avid shopper at Wally World, their clothes are not the best quality. I have found that by shopping the clearance aisles at TJ MAxx and Bulington Coat Factory, and Lands End, I may pay a little more, but the quality is 200% better, and the clothes last forever with good care. I have never bought a pair of shoes at Wall World and I don't plan to. I have 3 pairs of Allen Edmonds, but they are all 10-15 years old and still look great. Sometimes skimping gets you more headache than not.......
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
On this I have to agree with Finance Dude . I have several pairs of Liz Claiborne jeans that have lasted for years and still look good and I bought them at the outlet or on sale . I am all for better quality that lasts until I'm sick of it . By the way Finance dude the election is over so you can change your avatar . In fact if you change it I'll seriously consider purchasing an annuity from you .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
On this I have to agree with Finance Dude . I have several pairs of Liz Claiborne jeans that have lasted for years and still look good and I bought them at the outlet or on sale . I am all for better quality that lasts until I'm sick of it . By the way Finance dude the election is over so you can change your avatar . In fact if you change it I'll seriously consider purchasing an annuity from you .

But if you are buying for a kid... they will outgrow it before it falls apart (well, not always I am coming to realize, but what fell apart was a good pair of sneakers)...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
By the way Finance dude the election is over so you can change your avatar . In fact if you change it I'll seriously consider purchasing an annuity from you .
Me too.....
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
But if you are buying for a kid... they will outgrow it before it falls apart (well, not always I am coming to realize, but what fell apart was a good pair of sneakers)...
I was talking about me and DW, NOT my 2 fast growing boys. However, the "hand-me-down" policy is firmly in place with most things except with regards to shoes.........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,197
$2.

That's how much I spent for the LL Bean cargo pants that I'm wearing now. They are in like-new condition. I actually got seven pairs of these -- someone must have gained weight or something.

That price is typical, or even high, for prices at rummage sales and garage sales. We often get things for 50 cents.

At one sale, DW asked the price of a nice wool sweater. The woman said "50" and we thought she meant $50. It was only 50 cents.

If you're turned off by the yuck factor, forget it. Just wash the clothing in hot water before you wear it.

Fashion Show:

Today TromboneAl is resplendent in his LL-Bean-Drab cargo pants. These are topped off with an Old Navy fleece top, which he wears just about every day, and which set him back 50 cents.

His $9 pair of Wigwam Comfort Hikers offsets the outfit, but didn't break the bank. These Merino wool cozy socks were a gift.

Clothing 001.jpg
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

At one sale, DW asked the price of a nice wool sweater. The woman said "50" and we thought she meant $50. It was only 50 cents.

If you're turned off by the yuck factor, forget it. Just wash the clothing in hot water before you wear it.
Hope that wool sweater was waaay too big before you did that...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
$2.

That's how much I spent for the LL Bean cargo pants that I'm wearing now. They are in like-new condition. I actually got seven pairs of these -- someone must have gained weight or something.

That price is typical, or even high, for prices at rummage sales and garage sales. We often get things for 50 cents.

At one sale, DW asked the price of a nice wool sweater. The woman said "50" and we thought she meant $50. It was only 50 cents.

If you're turned off by the yuck factor, forget it. Just wash the clothing in hot water before you wear it.
I'm wearing jeans that were sent to me by an internet friend (I mentioned I'd lost weight and she offered to send me some clothes she couldn't wear because she'd gained weight).

I bought the turtleneck and the zip up vest at the thrift store for a few dollars.
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I'm wearing jeans that were sent to me by an internet friend (I mentioned I'd lost weight and she offered to send me some clothes she couldn't wear because she'd gained weight).

I bought the turtleneck and the zip up vest at the thrift store for a few dollars.
What is so frustrating to me is we went to a thrift store the other day... and the prices were as high as wally (or more)... and they looked pretty worn...

My sister has gone to one in Austin for awhile... and found some good buys... sigh... I guess not for me...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,197
I find that thrift stores are not as good as rummage or garage sales.

Also, I think prices at rummage/garage sales in the boonies are much lower. Things are often sold for 10 cents (e.g. electric meat thermometer, wine glass).
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I'm wearing jeans that were sent to me by an internet friend (I mentioned I'd lost weight and she offered to send me some clothes she couldn't wear because she'd gained weight).

I bought the turtleneck and the zip up vest at the thrift store for a few dollars.

That is a great concept especially for dresses that we wear once for certain events or parties . I finally sold all of mine on ebay but I would have gladly given them to someone .My daughter donated her wedding dress to an organization that gives them to needy brides . Of course she is getting the tax right off but I paid for the dress .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
SO and I have gotten some decent "deals" at the free "curb shop" recently. A few odd books to be sold thru the net (one netted $25.00!) and really nice delicate champagne glasses for special occasions. I leave my old electronics out there in a shopping bag; they are gone in an hour.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
oma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/St Petersburg, FLA
Posts: 314
good thoughts- something additional to do when retired -no sense paying good money for overpriced clothing - don't need to impress anyone anymore anyway.
__________________
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Finance Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,046
Just be sure to look at total cost. My wife wants to drive 40 miles every weekend to see if an area rug goes on sale so she can buy it. After 3 trips you've burned up more in gas than the differential between sale price and regular price. I try to get her to use the phone and call them rather than driving, but she gets a cup of Starbucks on the way and calls it a relaxing trip.

And it's not just the gas cost...approximate cost to operate a car for a mile is 50-60 cents. A 10-mile trip is $5.50.
__________________
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
oma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/St Petersburg, FLA
Posts: 314
Funny.
__________________
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I find that thrift stores are not as good as rummage or garage sales.

Also, I think prices at rummage/garage sales in the boonies are much lower. Things are often sold for 10 cents (e.g. electric meat thermometer, wine glass).
I think that next spring I will start hitting garage sales for clothes (and take along a tape measure, since woman's clothing sizes are highly variable).

I live near a military base, so there are a lot of people coming and going; I need to get a base sticker so I can attend the annual on-base garage sale.
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
$2.

That's how much I spent for the LL Bean cargo pants that I'm wearing now. They are in like-new condition. I actually got seven pairs of these -- someone must have gained weight or something.

That price is typical, or even high, for prices at rummage sales and garage sales. We often get things for 50 cents.

At one sale, DW asked the price of a nice wool sweater. The woman said "50" and we thought she meant $50. It was only 50 cents.

If you're turned off by the yuck factor, forget it. Just wash the clothing in hot water before you wear it.

Gained weight, lost weight, died.
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
After stalking Craig's list for a couple of weeks, I finally scored some nice yuppie baby clothes. One bag for $10 and another for $20. Had Tommy Hilfiger, Oshkosh, and lots of baby Gap stuff. We will use them and then sell them again, probably for the same price.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 242
For a long time, I did my Christmas shopping for the next year in January and February at places like Lord & Taylor - I bought a $100 lined jacket that was marked down, and down, and down again, and I had a 10% off coupon, I got it for $19. That was about 6 years ago and it still looks great.
__________________

__________________
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got small kids? Got small grandkids? cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 5 09-10-2008 10:52 PM
Roth-like ways to save for retirement summer2007 FIRE and Money 9 07-15-2007 09:15 PM
IJS vs. VBR (iShares small value & Vanguard small value) Fttaw FIRE and Money 1 01-22-2007 05:10 PM
Big City to Small Town: Experiences NYC Guy Life after FIRE 70 10-09-2006 03:50 PM
Creative Ways You Save Money..... Tommy_Dolitte Young Dreamers 16 08-26-2004 09:57 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.