Join Early Retirement Today

Smarter credit card fraud
Old 05-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Smarter credit card fraud

I check my credit card accounts online about weekly, and found a new wrinkle this morning. I have one card I use only for online purchases, and it showed two phony charges at bricks & mortar stores last week. Both were at Office Depot stores, and both were within 50 miles of where I live.

I haven't been in an Office Depot in at least several years, and we don't even have one near me, so these stuck out in a big way. So now I have to go through the usual cancel card, get new one, etc.

The thing that struck me is that although all the online purchases were quite far away, they managed to get these charges processed at relatively local stores to me. They probably thought they might slip through. The first was for over $40 and the second, two days later, was for over $200. I know the card has never been out of my possession, so it was cloned digitally from one of my online charges. Nasty stuff.

This was a USAA credit card, and they make it very easy to report such fraud online, so not a big deal. The problem was that I also had half a dozen continuing monthly charges on that card, and they all had to be changed. Busy morning!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I check my credit card accounts online about weekly, and found a new wrinkle this morning. I have one card I use only for online purchases, and it showed two phony charges at bricks & mortar stores last week. Both were at Office Depot stores, and both were within 50 miles of where I live.

I haven't been in an Office Depot in at least several years, and we don't even have one near me, so these stuck out in a big way. So now I have to go through the usual cancel card, get new one, etc.

The thing that struck me is that although all the online purchases were quite far away, they managed to get these charges processed at relatively local stores to me. They probably thought they might slip through. The first was for over $40 and the second, two days later, was for over $200. I know the card has never been out of my possession, so it was cloned digitally from one of my online charges. Nasty stuff.

This was a USAA credit card, and they make it very easy to report such fraud online, so not a big deal. The problem was that I also had half a dozen continuing monthly charges on that card, and they all had to be changed. Busy morning!
Bummer. Changing all those auto-pays is a real PITA. A couple of years ago I decided to follow the advice of some other forum members and dedicate one card only to autopay.

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Bummer. Changing all those auto-pays is a real PITA. A couple of years ago I decided to follow the advice of some other forum members and dedicate one card only to autopay.
I also took that suggestion and have one Fidelity card dedicated to the autopays. Sorta amusing, in that Fidelity changed from BofA (I think) to Elan several years ago and I was made very aware of the PITA factor involved when changing all the autopays to the new Elan card. Many of our payments autopull, and you may be surprised months down the road when a every six months car insurance bill or some such notifies you you have a bum payment.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

Since you only use this CC online, yet the fraud was local... any chance you should have recently received a renewal/replacement that got intercepted in the mail? Or a statement if you haven't turned those off?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Since you only use this CC online, yet the fraud was local... any chance you should have recently received a renewal/replacement that got intercepted in the mail? Or a statement if you haven't turned those off?
I found a setting in my Bank of America app recently to send location data to BofA so that they can authenticate it is you using the card (being used in a store you're actually near/in). I'm not sure how this works with online purchases, and I'm not thrilled about sharing my location with BofA at all times, but it is an interesting idea!

MIMH
MoneyIsMyHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Had a fraudulent charge on a credit card few years back. I never was able to figure out how the charge got there. My theory was perhaps by a keylogger on my computer as that much I knew for sure. Along with the cc replacement had to go ahead and change all my login id's (when possible) and passwords assuming the fraud was from the keylogger.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No, it wasn't close to expiring, so no replacement due, and I get (and reconcile) my statements monthly online.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have two cards, both through CitiBank, and Ive activated the texting feature, so Id know when a bogus purchase was made, and could immediately lock the card from the app.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Interesting post, as just today my CC was hacked and I only use it for auto pay.
It is a BOA card and their Orbitz travel site was hacked into, so I believe this was the source, as this is the only use of the card not automated.

I do have the txt message warning, which alerted me to the charges timely.
Need to now redo the set-ups tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

One old fraud making the rounds again is the 'small charge' fraud.

The criminals make one or two very small charges a month to your credit card, maybe $5-$10 max. These are easy to overlook and they don't raise an alarm. A few thousand of those a month spread over many victims and the criminal has a nice income.

Several CC companies offer single use card numbers for online and regular payments. Capital One has a new system ENO, which creates a unique CC number for each online retailer and can be used ONLY by that retailer. It shows up on the CC statement under the actual card number. Very Nice. Oh, they pay 1.5% cash rebate. Not quite as good as the Fidelity card.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, it wasn't close to expiring, so no replacement due, and I get (and reconcile) my statements monthly online.
But I've had cards sent to me before the expiration date. From what I could tell, that was their way of getting you to agree to some changes in the contract, (by signing/accepting the new card) so I ignored them and kept using the old card. Never got turned down for anything.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
The thing that struck me is that although all the online purchases were quite far away, they managed to get these charges processed at relatively local stores to me.
Maybe this was from some data breach and the crooks knew your address or city as it was part of the breach.

I know last year I'm 99% certain my card was compromised by the Chipotle breach. This involved putting bad firmware on the cash registers. So, when the register transmitted the data back to the crooks, the location was available.

Same thing: attempted transactions nearby, next city over.
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #13

We have a wayward daughter that keeps getting hold of my wife's ATM card number and linking it to Dominos Pizza and Telmate--to put money on inmates' commissary accounts in jail. We just cancelled the ATM card this a.m. for the umpteenth time. Thankfully some of the charges could be reversed.

But you have more rights to chargebacks on credit cards than ATM cards.

Is it possible to divorce a child?
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We have a wayward daughter that keeps getting hold of my wife's ATM card number and linking it to Dominos Pizza and Telmate--to put money on inmates' commissary accounts in jail. We just cancelled the ATM card this a.m. for the umpteenth time. Thankfully some of the charges could be reversed.

But you have more rights to chargebacks on credit cards than ATM cards.

Is it possible to divorce a child?
No, but it's possible to have her arrested for theft and fraud.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We have a wayward daughter that keeps getting hold of my wife's ATM card number\
It may be time to ditch the ATM card or keep it locked up.

Alas, ATM cards do not have the same legal protections as credit cards, whether used by wayward children or others who are not authorized to use them.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW likes paper statements. Years back they stopped including the card number on the statement. They show the last four digits.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
DW likes paper statements. Years back they stopped including the card number on the statement. They show the last four digits.
Most did, not all. My chase-amazon statement has the number on still which is nuts.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I have two cards, both through CitiBank, and Ive activated the texting feature, so Id know when a bogus purchase was made, and could immediately lock the card from the app.

Same here
Doesn't stop the the hack, however you can respond right then
mtheulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Several CC companies offer single use card numbers for online and regular payments. Capital One has a new system ENO, which creates a unique CC number for each online retailer and can be used ONLY by that retailer.
If your bank doesn't offer this feature (none of mine do), check out https://privacy.com It's a free service to generate merchant-specific or "burner" card numbers with an optional dollar limit. The drawback compared to the bank-offered options is that the money is debited from a checking or savings account by EFT, so no float and no points. I use this when entering my card on sites I don't regularly do business with.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I've also had unexpected "checks" sent to me that are essentially advances on my credit card. I hate that, because I would have no idea they've been intercepted unless I noticed bogus charges.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote