Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I did the swap of the SIM card and started up the S8 and I figured I must have done something wrong or skipped a step because I got an "Out of Service Area" error! I started looking for a phone number to call at Verizon to ask for assistance. I tried it one more time as I was dialing and voila! So it needed about two minutes to say howdidoo to the network. I completed the phone call to Verizon just to check and the agent confirmed that I was all set.
Make sure you verify your APN settings are correct for calling, data and texts.

Search for APN settings for your phone.

Often when you switch SIMs/Phones, Android will attempt to automatically set/create the APN you need. I've seen it not work and have to manually update the APN.

You can only have one active APN, so make sure there are not 2 and that the one active APN has the correct settings.

Verify data works with wi-fi disabled and you can send regular and picture texts.

If you can make a call, get data LTE without wi-fi and send a regular and picture text, then your APN is set up correctly.

This does not apply to Apple phones. Only Android.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How much did the phone set you back?
This is what I bought and where I bought it: https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Gal.../dp/B06Y14T5YW

I was really impressed. Packaged as if it were new. Absolutely perfect top and bottom - I didn't even need to wipe down the screen before putting on the protect sheet. And all the accessories were undoubtedly brand new.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
Make sure you verify your APN settings are correct for calling, data and texts.

Search for APN settings for your phone.

Often when you switch SIMs/Phones, Android will attempt to automatically set/create the APN you need. I've seen it not work and have to manually update the APN.

You can only have one active APN, so make sure there are not 2 and that the one active APN has the correct settings.

Verify data works with wi-fi disabled and you can send regular and picture texts.

If you can make a call, get data LTE without wi-fi and send a regular and picture text, then your APN is set up correctly.

This does not apply to Apple phones. Only Android.
Thanks, I couldn't find APN anything on the phone, but I ran the tests you outlined. I was able to do all those things with Wifi disabled.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
This is what I bought and where I bought it: https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Gal.../dp/B06Y14T5YW

I was really impressed. Packaged as if it were new. Absolutely perfect top and bottom - I didn't even need to wipe down the screen before putting on the protect sheet. And all the accessories were undoubtedly brand new.
This is the phone I have, which I bought new. A couple questions, are you concerned at all about the remaining battery life? And your link took to me to a listing of many phones listed as new, used and refurbed, you payed a little more to get the refurbed and didn't buy a phone just listed as used?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #65

My link takes me directly to the phone I bought. It's in as-new condition and came with a US warranty. It also was delivered in the time frame I had before I was leaving on my trip. 5-star review so far.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I know it is expensive but you can get on Swappa and get a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for not much more than a new cheap phone. It is waterproof, huge screen and probably the best smartphone ever made. I get my phone and plan for free, anything I want, and I never upgraded the Note 8 because it still rocks!
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

DW has had the Moto G5+ for a year or two with good results. I have a BLU Vivo XL3 which I got for the dual SIM feature. It's just as good and was $100 less.

Before that we both had the same model, which made it much easier to help her learn how to do things.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Just make sure in that price range that it supports Google Pay, so has an actually NFC chip and a secure enclave.

Also a good idea that it supports remote wiping or tracking if lost or stolen.

If it's wiped, your credit card information may not necessarily be wiped off the internal memory because often, the credit card information for a mobile wallet system like Apple Pay or Google Pay is stored in the secure enclave chip.

With recent iPhones (no more than 3-4 years old), there is iCloud activation lock so even if someone stole or found it, they wouldn't be able to wipe the device and use it for themselves.

I'm not sure which Android devices have a comparable feature.

Another consideration, be wary of Chinese brands. The US govt. recommends against Huawei and some Chinese brands. Huawei is the 800-pound gorilla, closely tied with Chinese govt. They are trying to sell networking equipment for 5G networks and US has barred their equipment because of security concerns.

A lot of countries, particularly developing countries, are buying them anyways because Huawei underprices the equipment compared to European and US vendors.

Huawei and other Chinese brands are popular in Europe and developing countries because they tend to be cheaper.

Also be wary of installing apps. from anywhere but the Google Play store. There is a lot of app. piracy because Android phones allow apps. to be installed from any web site and often those pirated apps. carry malware.

However, it should also be noted that Google Play Store has hosted several apps. found later to have malware in them which steal personal info. without the user's consent or knowledge.

But Google pulls these apps. as soon as they find out.
One of my retirement hobbies is Uber driving, and one of the benefits is I get to tap insider info from various experts.

One guy who was an internet security pro said Apple is much more secure than Android.

I went with IPhone trailing edge refurb Amazon
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #69

I have Verizon and I had a Moto G5 and loved it UNTIL the oreo update which interfered with bluetooth. It kept dropping phone calls in my car and dropping audio in the middle of a playlist. I was kind of wanting a new phone anyway so bought a Samsung Galaxy S7. Good phone but the battery life is inferior to the moto. Also since it was 2 or 3 years old it took 3 days to get the thing updated. But it was only $160 new and I'm pretty happy with it overall .
Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Check out the Motorola Moto G6. Amazon has the unlocked version for $170.
+1
This is the best low-cost choice IMHO (retired technologist).
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote