Smartphones

bUU

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know some folks like to promote the idea that smartphones aren't necessary, but let's put that aside. Let's say they are, and specifically let's say that the needs are such that it has to be Verizon. Let's say that there are inviolable needs that include the things like Google Pay at POS locations, tethering, and the ability to slide in a 64 GB or 128 GB expansion card.

Given all that, what's the best option? Verizon seems to have very few choices available from them directly, especially in the $250 range. What are my other options? Or do those requirements condemn me to the abyss?

While a little more bulky that th e latest Apple, We have Alcatel Pixie Glorys.
Our provider is Tracfone, which is a pay as you go outfit. Our phones were $99 each, and we are very happy with them.
DW loves the Bluetooth so she can play Pandora through her car speakers. Ithe only app I really use is for Von's markets. They have an easy way to make up shopping lists.
I have it set up to get my e-mails, and I can text if I have to. DW, bless her heart, found an inexpensive Bluetooth folding keyboard to use when we travel. It works with both our smartphones and our Kindle reader tablets.

I just bought from Consumer Cellular a iPhone 6s for $200. The only reason I upgraded from my 5 was it had 32GB of memory and I was running out. 6s has 64GB and should last a good long time. BTW, I still use my 5 to listen to podcasts because I download them from my home WiFi. When I'm walking in crappy weather, we have l lot of it this winter, I don't have to subject my new phone to the cold and wet.
Old phones still work except for phone calls and texting.

Check out the Motorola Moto G6. Amazon has the unlocked version for $170.
I just bought from Consumer Cellular a iPhone 6s for $200.
Those are both phones Verizon does offer. I'm wondering about my other options... other phones I could choose from that have a better set of features for roughly $250. I'm curious about what superior options are out there in that price range, and how to ensure that I'm picking one that will work fully with Verizon's network.

While a little more bulky that th e latest Apple, We have Alcatel Pixie Glorys.
Unfortunately, it doesn't support all of Verizon's bands. Thanks anyway.

I got a free LG Stylo 3 when I switched to Cricket. Stylo 4 is the newer model. I have been very pleased with response time when using data. Didn't think I would care much for the stylus pen but have found it's a good way to navigate the phone. Might not have all the features you are looking for tho.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Stylo-Unlocked-T-Mobile-Exclusive/dp/B07D3QKRW1

Last edited:
If your $250 is fixed and firm consider a reconditioned phone from Verizon or surf the listing at Gazelle or Swappa. I'ved bought and sold on Swappa. I prefer them to Ebay because Swappa bans damaged screens or water damage.

I'm happy with my tracfone Samsung J3 Orbit for $50 but then again, I've never had one of the $1,000 ( I guess now $2,000) phones so I don't know what I'm missing (known unknowns as once famously said). But I find that it does everything I need:

Phone calls - check,
Messaging - check,

GPS - check,

Music - check,

Hiking app - check,
RPM speed on my turntable - check,
Reasonable speed YouTube videos - check
Plays simple games - check
Reasonable quality photos and videos - check

Impress friends - no check

Last edited:
I bought two unlocked G6 on sale from fry's , at $160 each.

I like unlocked phones so I can switch carriers at will, or pop in sim card when traveling.

Just updated the G6 tonight as Motorola had an OS update :)

DW and I switched to iphone SE models a year ago and have been quite happy. Am pretty sure Verizon accepts the unlocked versions. They are available in your price range new, on ebay. Really good camera, BTW.

If your $250 is fixed and firm consider a reconditioned phone from Verizon or surf the listing at Gazelle or Swappa. I'ved bought and sold on Swappa. I prefer them to Ebay because Swappa bans damaged screens or water damage.
Ack, it sounds like even buying from Swappa is taking a big risk. What stops someone with a phone like mine (in need of replacement for a not-so-obvious reason) from dumping their phone on an unsuspecting buyer?

I've checked Verizon's website for refurbs, and the only Android phone in that price range is an original Google Pixel. That might do the trick. It has NFC, fingerprint, GPS. But it only has 32 GB and no expansion slot, so it won't work as a media player. Its battery seems anemic as well.

I have the iPhone SE through Verizon and have been very happy with it the past four or so years.

Another vote here for the Moto g6 and for Tracfone. Check HSN for a Tracfone bundle with the g6 and a year of service. Good for a light user.

I thought iPhones don't have memory expansion slots? Am I wrong here? The OP was looking at that as a feature.

Add me to the list of liking the Motorola Moto G series of phones (I have a 3, DW has a 4...both work great).

Check out the Motorola Moto G6. Amazon has the unlocked version for $170.

Agree with this choice. I was going to suggest Nokia 6.1 as well, but I don't think it works on Verizon.

Yes, you can plug extra storage into your iPhone or iPad. This capability has been available for more than 5 years.

Yes, you can plug extra storage into your iPhone or iPad. This capability has been available for more than 5 years.

Isn't this 'extra storage' an external plug in or cloud based, not an internal SD memory card like can be added to Android devices?

Although more than a year old now, the Essential PH-1 is still a great phone and can be found for $250 on sale. It comes unlocked and works great on Total Wireless, who uses Verizon towers. Essential provides monthly updates and the phone specs are impressive for the price point.

In our town there is one cellphone tower, it is owned by Verizon.

I would go with Verizon.

When our sons comes to visit, he has an Iphone with some other company. There is no signal in our town for him. Inside our house his Iphone can tap into our wifi. But once he steps outside his Iphone loses signal.

When our sons comes to visit, he has an Iphone with some other company. There is no signal in our town for him. Inside our house his Iphone can tap into our wifi. But once he steps outside his Iphone loses signal.

Almost every cellular carrier allows roaming on other networks, so he must have a very unusual contract. In a few cases there is a small charge while roaming, but most companies have dropped that.

Almost every cellular carrier allows roaming on other networks, so he must have a very unusual contract. In a few cases there is a small charge while roaming, but most companies have dropped that.

not necessarily a branded or Verizon issued phone does best on Verizon towers, yes the other carriers can rent access but it's not the same. Take the word of someone rural who's been involuntarily tethered to Verizon for over 2 decades. Stick with a Verizon phone on Verizon towers if you have spotty cell coverage.

When I quit my job in Sept. I lost my employer paid IPHONE 6S Plus that was on Verizon.

I headed over to Walmart and purchased an IPHONE SE for $135 and singed up with Straight Talk Unlimited for $45 per month. They use Verizon towers, but also switch towers when necessary. Works great everywhere.

Was a great, inexpensive option and my SE does everything the 6S plus did, except it is smaller in size- like the 5- but performs like the 7.

Because it is smaller it fits great in any pocket and is very light. Can't ask for anything better especially at the price point!

Got a nice inexpensive wallet case for it on Amazon. I am golden.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom