Snapshot of retirement-age US workers

83% of embalmers are over 65? I guess a cheery job keeps you young. :blush:

Well, I retired at 41 from the navy and then worked a few seasons as a tax preparer -- for a chain, and then a CPA.

I found that I enjoy tax preparation much more as a volunteer -- so 4 years ago, I dropped the paid gig, and have continued the volunteer one . . .

But, it is not a bad retirement job -- seasonal, and you can make a decent amount of money.

83% of embalmers are over 65? I guess a cheery job keeps you young. :blush:
And better than a third of models are 65 plus.
Think I'll tighten up those abs and work on my GQ poses just in case I'm needed.:blush:

You people are very lucky to retire at such young ages. I had to wait until almost 65 and no way am I going back working for a boss. I enjoy retirement way to much. I belong to the class of 2012 also. oldtrig:D

Think I'll tighten up those abs and work on my GQ poses just in case I'm needed.:blush:

That one surprised me too until I thought about it. Of course they need old fogies as models to sell stuff like reverse mortgages to the boomers.

Ditto on tightening up the abs. That's a line of work I hadn't thought about.

Well, it seems that if you attend a church and die, you'll [-]see[/-] encounter a lot of folks in the same demographic that you [-]are[/-] were in.

Almost for sure 6 of 8:
1. Embalmer
2. Funeral attendant
3. Vehicle (limo) operator
4. Music composer
5. Clergy
6. Religious workers

And, for the deluxe funeral:
1. Crossing guards (a trip past your old school)
2. Models (so there are good looking people at your funeral)

Makes me want to retire immediately just so I can get one of those jobs. :nonono:

Is that because there is great demand for older models, or because when asked their occupation, a significant number of people over 65 say "model" whether they do any modeling or not? Perhaps it's just senior citizen humor to tease the telephone pollsters.

You people are very lucky to retire at such young ages. I had to wait until almost 65 and no way am I going back working for a boss. I enjoy retirement way to much. I belong to the class of 2012 also. oldtrig:D

So glad to hear that you are enjoying your retirement so much! I didn't retire until 61, and I feel the same way you do about it - - there is no way I would ever go back to work. I am having too much fun. :D

Interesting. Usher was on the list. I have a 74 yo aunt who is a part-time usher in a local theatre (stageplays, not movies). She does it only to see the plays for free, and loves it.

Back
Top Bottom