Join Early Retirement Today

Sneaky Inflation
Old 04-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Sneaky Inflation

We all keep an eye on the inflation numbers from the Fed and other sources. Plus, we all know that the real inflation number to be concerned about is our “personal” inflation number.

Myself and DW are always looking out for “surprise” prices that have inflated without much (or any) warning. Today was a milestone surprise inflation find!

DW likes to have breakfast at Denny’s as we have several of them around us and they are helpful with handling handicapped folks, of which DW is one. We stopped this AM at a local Denny’s as I was having our Hyundai’s tires rotated and balanced next door at a tire shop.

Usually, we have a “build your own” (BYO) or a $4 Value Slam (VS) breakfast. Now, the Value Slams come in four flavors (fixed price levels), $2, $4, $6, & $8 and with no menu item substitutions. The menu is labelled accordingly in each heading.

So today I order the $4 Value Slam which is two eggs, bacon (or sausage) and two pancakes. DW orders a different item (BYO).

The bill comes, and I see that the $4 VS is now $4.49! So I look at the menu and see that the heading is now “Starting at $4” instead of just $4. Looks like a 12% price increase here. Also, the other price levels use the same “Starting at” term for each $$ level and all show increases of about 12%. Nice.

So here folks, is what I call sneaky inflation. What have you noticed about your consumption spending that has seen this type of inflation?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #2

For me, it’s always been the shrinking package size for the same price. Can’t think of specifics at the moment, but if you don’t watch the per unit cost, you’ll never notice the price creeping up.

If the menu says “starting at $4”, doesn’t that mean that something has to be available at $4?

Old 04-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
For me, it’s always been the shrinking package size for the same price. Can’t think of specifics at the moment, but if you don’t watch the per unit cost, you’ll never notice the price creeping up.

If the menu says “starting at $4”, doesn’t that mean that something has to be available at $4?
You know, there were four items at $4 but I didn't look at all of them. Next time I will though!
Old 04-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A quick google seems to indicate the $2/4/6/8 menu was introduced in 2010. This looks like a pretty low annualized price inflation, if I'm not mistaken.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
A quick google seems to indicate the $2/4/6/8 menu was introduced in 2010. This looks like a pretty low annualized price inflation, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, that's the menu and it's now the same with the price increases. I believe this price increase happened this week as Monday we were at Denny's and I ordered a VS and paid $4.

Seeing it was 2010 when it was introduced is amazing that it stayed static so long.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

20 pack of Bud Light had been $14.99 across the street from w@&k for years. All of a sudden its $16.99.
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post
20 pack of Bud Light had been $14.99 across the street from w@&k for years. All of a sudden its $16.99.
12 or 16 oz?
Old 04-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You know, there were four items at $4 but I didn't look at all of them. Next time I will though!
Well were the tire shop prices at least the same price as before?
Old 04-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Now your talkin inflation! My six pack of Miller Lite 16 oz went from $5.59 to $6.99 literally overnight. What happened to millennials and others no longer wanting the stuff? I did read about a hops shortage and hopefully this is a short term thing. Otherwise I'll have to budget an extra $6 a month to cover it.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Well were the tire shop prices at least the same price as before?
Rotate and balance prices the same as before - $0.00.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
12 or 16 oz?
12 ounce bottles
Old 04-26-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
12 ounce bottles
$15.98 here....(Walmart). Must be a regional thing. But going up that high is just what is going on all over.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #13

Toilet paper that is not as wide!

Purina One dog food that use to be $18 is now $21 for the same size bag. Not really sneaky just inflation
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
This was my first thought, too. You see this a lot in items which don't need any predefined weight or quantity. Over a stretch of maybe 3 years, my favorite brand of chocolate chip cookies got downsized twice. First, it went from 30 cookies in the package to 27. Then it went down to 24. The price didn't change, so taken together the unit price rose 20%. Those cookies are so expensive now that even when they get marked down they are still expensive, way over $4 per pound at many stores.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW said cat litter use to be $0.49 for a 20# bag (mid eighties). Now $3.99 Heavy items really went up due to shipping costs. Tires are ridiculous!
Old 04-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #16

Smaller packets, same or higher pricing. I think they call it new and improved.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My favorite brand of English Banger sausages used to be about $5 a pound. Now its $7 for a 13 oz package. One problem, besides the price increase, is that the 13 oz package does not feed four hungry people. Now I have to buy two packages. So... I don't buy them as often.

Of course there is the 1/2 gallon container of Ice Cream that is now 1.5 quarts. Maybe that is good, less sugar and calories to temp me.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Now your talkin inflation! My six pack of Miller Lite 16 oz went from $5.59 to $6.99 literally overnight. What happened to millennials and others no longer wanting the stuff? I did read about a hops shortage and hopefully this is a short term thing. Otherwise I'll have to budget an extra $6 a month to cover it.
I believe when less is sold, the brewer must raise the price. Hops going up is a real 1st world problem!

But you are right about millenials. I partied with a bunch last Saturday, and Miller Lite was in the ice buckets.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It's been a while since I started noticing that not only did a roll not last as long, it didn't come close to fitting the toilet paper holder. I remember when TP rolls filled the paper holder from end to end. Now they are about 2/3 of the holder's width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Toilet paper that is not as wide!

n
Old 04-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Beer at one of my five neighborhood breweries was $6/pint including tax.
Then, $6 + tax (8%).

davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote